First Name
Ovidio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP Gladiator 2021 Overland
Occupation
Supervisor
This is my take and a way to see how others feel about this situation. I recently bought a Jeep Gladiator Overland and the reason I got the Overland was because I need the truck to go to work and sports for my kids. I don’t need to go off road yet. When I when to the dealership they told me the the Overland was top of the line, same as the Rubicon. I thought that Top of the line was almost everything included. My Jeep came with 8.4 “ radio with good speakers, also LEDs inside the Jeep only, Leather seats and black hard top. Now what it does not have that I this a “top of the line” vehicle should have. LED lights outside, Rubicon wheels and suspension, outlet for the bed, metal bumper and all sensors for safety. I think I was taken to the cleaners because if I had gotten a sport with all the upgrades, it wouldn’t come to the amount of money I paid for this truck. Am I over reacting or do I have a point?
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
You got no case. You should of done your own homework on the vehicle you bought. If they took you to the cleaners that's your fault. It's not the dealerships responsibility to be honest with you on what your getting, it's your responsibility to know what your buying. If they made you feel like you was getting top of the line and you bought them they did there job because it's their job to make money and make the most on a sell. Now I'm not saying it don't suck because I'm sure it does.

OP
OP
Ovi1

Ovi1

First Name
Ovidio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supervisor
You got no case. You should of done your own homework on the vehicle you bought. If they took you to the cleaners that's your fault. It's not the dealerships responsibility to be honest with you on what your getting, it's your responsibility to know what your buying. If they made you feel like you was getting top of the line and you bought them they did there job because it's their job to make money and make the most on a sell. Now I'm not saying it don't suck because I'm sure it does.
I am not saying that it was the dealership’s fault. I know it was my fault. This is my first Jeep and I wish I had more information. The overland is just a cheap Jeep with leather seats and a premium price. Thanks for the reply.

Dennis K

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fineartamerica.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Gecko Sport S with Mack's Toe
Occupation
Ret
Overland is for different use than Rubi. Has different suspension and wheels...
I spent months building and rebuilding on the site and wound up ordering a Sport S Max Tow...
Just gotta' do homework... Especially for a vehicle this price...

dbmcubs21

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Overland Eco Diesel
Occupation
CPA
There are certain options only available on the Overland or Rubicon models that the Sports do not have. I priced these things every which way, and for me to get a fully loaded Overland was cheaper than trying to load up a Rubicon (I won't offroad much) and the Sport models couldn't be optioned into what I wanted. The best thing to do is play around with the Jeep Build page to see all options available and what it will cost at retail. Know what you want and what you can live without then negotiate like hell. Or do what most of us on here seem to be doing, build it exactly how you want it and order your dream truck from a friendly volume dealer like Gupton for 6-8% below invoice. Problem solved.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ovi1

Ovi1

First Name
Ovidio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supervisor
Overland is for different use than Rubi. Has different suspension and wheels...
I spent months building and rebuilding on the site and wound up ordering a Sport S Max Tow...
Just gotta' do homework... Especially for a vehicle this price...
I wish I did. Trust me, I like the truck but it could have been a different experience if I took my time. Now I’m stuck. Maybe I just sell it and take my time next time.

jorbasaurus

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT
Occupation
HRIS Consulting
Not much of a case unfortunately - most of what you list you can add on to an Overland or possibly standard on the High Altitude. Except the Rubi suspension/tires & steel bumpers, not sure why you’d expect “Off road” additions in the “luxury” trim.

That being said, love my Overland and have added plenty to make it perform more as I’d like it to, after driving/wheeling it stock and finding the weaknesses. They were also deeply discounting the Overland trim out here in CO early summer, so it was an easier choice for me.

What’s done is done, just gotta move on and enjoy your awesome truck! Look around the forum, there is a TON of info on modifications and upgrades you can make if you so desire.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Well the only thing the Rubicon cones with on that list is the wheels tires and suspension. The Rubicon does not have front metal bumper, LED outside lights, all safety sensors, bed outlet, 8.4 radio, but Rubicon comes with things you don’t want front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnect, 4.10 gears, wider axles.
I think the Overland might have the better ride then Rubicon for your needs, if you wanted a top of the line jeep with all the extra options , why didn’t you look elsewhere or order one loaded. Everyone says you can make a Sport an Overland , a Rubicon, Mojave or whatever but there are options you can’t get to match perfectly. I run a Mojave with leather ,rear LED taillights, 7.4 radio , upgraded factory polished rims and consider it nice but could have spent another ten grand if I wanted. I ordered it with what I wanted.
You are not overeacting but coming to the realization that you didn’t get all the options you wanted, and perhaps listened to a salesman tell you it had all the options..Jack

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX570, Model Y
Unlike other manufacturers, Jeep will let you spec out each trim however you want. Overland is basically a sport with 18" wheels and some trim bits to make it the nicest on road trim. You can order it with or without LED lights, adaptive cruise control etc. You can't get it with the Rubicon specific features, so you can't blame the dealer for that.

There isn't any recourse for you now on this vehicle. For future reference, every manufacturer has a build and price tool in their website. Make sure you run through it at least once so that you can find all the possible options and features you want on each trim.

There is good news though. Used car prices are through the roof and assuming you didn't get ass raped by finance, you could probably get out of this and into a heavily loaded Mojave pretty cheap, which is actually the best riding gladiator trim. Assuming you don't want to go down that possibly financially irresponsible road, the other good news is that you can build your own Jeep how you like it. Want LEDs? Aftermarket or OEM swap in. Want steel bumpers and different wheels? Swap away.

Sponsored

PJTree

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra
Yeah this is definitely a learning point which is usually not pleasant. The good news is that you didn't get taken to the cleaners, you just followed the bread crumbs placed by marketing/sales. Its an honest mistake. Your truck still has the same MSRP as comparable Overlands. Cars/trucks have a nuanced option scheme to move the most models. This accounts for budget and more importantly psychology. The usual story is that customers want the Cadillac at the Ford price. So they take your heart strings and budget and tell you X is exactly what you need...so that you leave with a Jeep. Alternatively, they could spec one out way over your budget and you'd walk. This happens with all brands/models. There is always an option spec which sounds nice but is a decorated based model eg Audi S-line (not an S4, but an A4 with minimal performance gains).

Also, what is wrong with your Jeep as you bought it? What would LED lights do for you? You still have an awesome rig.

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
Well the only thing the Rubicon cones with on that list is the wheels tires and suspension. The Rubicon does not have front metal bumper, LED outside lights, all safety sensors, bed outlet, 8.4 radio, but Rubicon comes with things you don’t want front and rear lockers, sway bar disconnect, 4.10 gears, wider axles.
I think the Overland might have the better ride then Rubicon for your needs, if you wanted a top of the line jeep with all the extra options , why didn’t you look elsewhere or order one loaded. Everyone says you can make a Sport an Overland , a Rubicon, Mojave or whatever but there are options you can’t get to match perfectly. I run a Mojave with leather ,rear LED taillights, 7.4 radio , upgraded factory polished rims and consider it nice but could have spent another ten grand if I wanted. I ordered it with what I wanted.
You are not overeacting but coming to the realization that you didn’t get all the options you wanted, and perhaps listened to a salesman tell you it had all the options..Jack
Bad info.

The Rubicon can be bought with factory LED lights inside and out, metal bumper, leather, etc.

There is nothing I’m aware of on an Overland that can’t be optioned on a Rubi.

PS my Rubi has factory led lights inside, headlights, dog lights, etc etc.

Phan7omk7

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t think you are over reacting but I feel like you didn’t do enough research before buying your Overland. When I bought my Overland, I did my research and bought it with the options I wanted which were the 8.4” radio, Adaptive cruise control, leather seats heating functions, bed liner with the power outlet, and a black hard top. I originally wanted to get a Rubicon, but for my purposes, I could make all the upgrades I wanted for the price of a Rubicon model. With my Overland, I was able to install a Teraflex 2.5” lift, EAG metal front and back bumpers, and 18” Black Rhino Abram wheels on 35” Toyo Open Country AT2 tires. For me at least, I knew my Overland was going to be modified and upgraded to my liking. I knew my stock Overland wouldn’t be as capable as a Rubicon, but I was able to upgrade it and make it better than a stock Rubicon. That is my 2 cents and hope this helps you decide on what you want to do with your Overland.

Status
Not open for further replies.