First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Technology
Coming from a 2014 RAM with a slightly tweaked 5.7 (ported throttle body, Vararam, + 2014's had unencrypted ECU, so the Diablo tuner gave a ton of tweaking options), the 3.6 sometimes feels like it can't get out of its own way. I'd love that 5.7, but am getting used to the 3.6.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
“4 cylinder supercharged intercooled turbo”
You want to supercharge a turbo?
Isn’t that a bit of overkill?
Anyway, if I wanted a hot rod Jeep, I’d add a supercharger.
Although a twin-turbo V6 would be nice.

Kevin
Didn’t say I wanted one. Is the 392 overkill?
Always a critic somewhere. 🤔

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
Personally I’d like to see them come out with the 4Xe for JT. A vast majority of my driving is around town, and I usually average about 11-13mpg. My friend has a 4Xe JL, and so far he’s gotten anywhere from 36MPG to 56MPG, and between 400 and 650 miles of range between fill ups. He almost exclusively uses the ev only range, and then charges it when he gets back home. Having the option of running ev only, which is well within my normal commute to work, and then whatever errands I have around town, would be very ideal for fuel savings. Additionally, we’ve taken his 4Xe off-roading, and over the course of about 3 hours (starting from about 90% battery) he used EV for just about the entire time. There’s a lot going for the 4Xe in the JL, and I hope Jeep finds a way to offer it in the JT.

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Personally I’d like to see them come out with the 4Xe for JT. A vast majority of my driving is around town, and I usually average about 11-13mpg. My friend has a 4Xe JL, and so far he’s gotten anywhere from 36MPG to 56MPG, and between 400 and 650 miles of range between fill ups. He almost exclusively uses the ev only range, and then charges it when he gets back home. Having the option of running ev only, which is well within my normal commute to work, and then whatever errands I have around town, would be very ideal for fuel savings. Additionally, we’ve taken his 4Xe off-roading, and over the course of about 3 hours (starting from about 90% battery) he used EV for just about the entire time. There’s a lot going for the 4Xe in the JL, and I hope Jeep finds a way to offer it in the JT.
I agree on the 4xe, that’s why I included it. The JL is the proving ground for future JT choices….perhaps. If I recall combined horsepower is 375 when in hybrid mode. Charges from zip to full on a standard 110 wall plug in 12 hrs. For the wife she could get 2 days of everyday normal commuting before having to plug it in overnight. I was thinking if you kept it in normal gas mode while towing, then when you hit the hill climbs go hybrid for the power boost. Also it has two modes of regenerative braking, so when going downhill use the more aggressive setting to charge the battery better. Following the JL 4xe reviews with interest.

Sponsored

RobbertCole

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 1997 Mustang GT
To the people voting for the inline 4.0

WHY? I had one in my TJ and it was a DOG. You do realize that if you put that engine in a gladiator youd get even worse mileage, worse towing, worse performance right?

that engine makes 190 HP and 260 lb ft.

the 3.6 is 285 hp 260 lbft

so youve gained nothing down low and have essentially zero top end.

If you think the gladiator lacks power with the 3.6 and want to drop in the 4.0 (and presumably the 5sp or 6spd manual or 42RLE I have got some bad news for you.

Id love to see the 4.0 spin around 37"s or even 35"s in a 3.73 sport auto

Victoryrider78

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Sales / Operations Support
I've had 4 Rams ( 05, 13, 17, 19 ) with a 5.7 Hemi. I'd love to have it in the Gladiator. Not only do they run really well, but they sound great and I would probably actually get better fuel mileage than the 3.6.

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
I’m personally very pleased with the Pentastar in my Gladiator. It’s never let me down.

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
none of the above. I want a bigger v6 or little v8 in the 4.5 to 5 liter range. I want more power and torque while keeping most of the mpg of my 3.6L.
Don’t be like that….😏
The above are your choices….pick one.
I am not adding anymore choices to the poll, because it would never end 🤪
“No sir you have to have pickles on your burger, that’s the only way we make them”. 🤢

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I’m personally very pleased with the Pentastar in my Gladiator. It’s never let me down.
As have most.
But………
Reliability is not the question.
Having a choice of more than just two engines, which is a rarity in today’s vehicles.

OP
OP
Trickster

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

WHY? I had one in my TJ and it was a DOG. You do realize that if you put that engine in a gladiator youd get even worse mileage, worse towing, worse performance right?

If you think the gladiator lacks power with the 3.6 and want to drop in the 4.0 (and presumably the 5sp or 6spd manual or 42RLE I have got some bad news for you.

It doesn’t say 4.0.
You assume it was referring to the old 4.0
A modern inline 6 is nothing like those.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I'm waiting for someone to throw a Alfa V6TT in a JT... which is heavily borrowed from Ferrari.

505hp. And decent mpgs.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I voted 392, but specifically I would want the truck version, not the fancy-pants SRT version. Dependability and simplicity is the goal here.

The other options are too complicated and unreliable/unproven.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just as long as we remember that the 36-56 range you're talking about is eMPG, which is not comparable to true MPG.

When your friend is in ICE mode he's getting upper teens for mileage because it's the same 2.0T that was already in the Wrangler, but now it's saddled with 700 lbs. more weight.

And when he's on EV mode, he's still paying ~$0.15 per mile to drive it, because electricity isn't free and the 4xe can only go 1 mile per kWh of electricity.

So at the end of the day, there is ZERO money savings. In fact, he's actually spending a lot more money annually overall unless he successfully gets the $7,500 tax credit to offset some of it.

True, the 4.0 was legendary because everything else was worse. But by today's standards, the 4.0 is garbage. Heavy, weak, thirsty, and they leaked oil like sieves.

The inline-6 that's rumored to be coming is a totally different animal though. A modern design with forced induction included. It won't have any of the old 4.0's shortcomings.
Sponsored