Sponsored

"Lifetime", Lifeguard 8-9 Speed ATF (Is this semi-synthetic oil good "forever"??) 24k kms.

Should you change the "good for life" transmission Lifeguard 8-9 Speed ATF sooner than later??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
UPDATE day 2.
I noticed another decrease in transmission temperature today. This is telling me the flush and change in oil was a good thing.
The 1st photo attached is of temps as I got home from work YESTERDAY.
The 2nd photo is when I got home from work, TODAY.

I’m not saying the transmission will never get up to temps closer to the engine/ coolant temps but so far it hasn’t when it should have.

A737DAB4-D9E3-4DC2-A4AE-99A9D6D3CE32.jpeg

C1B6986E-9222-469B-898D-1B77D41C0F5A.jpeg
UPDATE: (At 29k kms, -5k later since flush) tranny temps are still dropping. By the time the engine/coolant temps get to their operating temps, 89-91c, the tranny is normally reading 67c. It takes a lot longer now to reach full operating temps which are about 5c lower than the engine and I’ve even not seen it get there driving from Calgary to Banff and back.

Whatever jerkiness I’ve felt in the shifting is gone and smooth. 1.- like first engaged in the morning driving out of the garage and I’ve felt the truck quiver and jerk a bit as it’s rolling out in drive to the alley and 2.- manually shifting down, the RPM’s shoot up then the gear engages and jerks the truck, it felt notchy in all the down shifting. It’s all smooth now. It’s a different feel.
Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
What trans oil did you end up using. I am starting to collect parts for a 20k change.

FYI the Gasser trans pan/filter and the oiler burner 8HP75 use the same pan/filter assembly.

Part number

68362041AB

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I'm definitely interested in seeing some more used oil analysis reports if anyone else changes their trans fluid. Your "after" results sound a lot like how my transmission behaves on the factory fill at around 10k miles.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
What trans oil did you end up using. I am starting to collect parts for a 20k change.

FYI the Gasser trans pan/filter and the oiler burner 8HP75 use the same pan/filter assembly.

Part number

68362041AB
I use Amsoil Signature Series ATF

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation

Part number

68362041AB
Just to mention here, if you are choosing to go with Amsoil Signature Series as I did, Amsoil Tech recommends you do a full flush and not mix the Mopar ATF with Amsoil Sig Series as what would happen if you just dropped the pan or sucked out portions at a time.

Not sure the miles you have on your rig, my way of thinking has always been, oil change after break-in period should be done sooner than later. What ever ATF you choose to run with, I don’t care, if you’re not going with the semi-synthetic Mopar 8/9 Speed ATF, make sure the oil complies with ZF and Chrysler codes which will be clearly marked on the bottles.

Do yourself and all of us a favour and send in an tranny oil sample to the oil lab to see what your metal numbers are and perhaps glycol contamination is as I had. If you go with Blackstone, they won’t give you your numbers to cross check with that of fresh Mopar oil. Don’t worry about that, I did and you can cross check with my report that’s posted at the beginning of the thread.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
I’m always blamed! I figured this would happen. I’ve hunted around for a shop that can do a full flush and in Calgary we have National Transmission. Talked with the tech there who explained they will do a “hot flush” which will take 18-20 quarts to flush the old out. They drop the pan as well and drain that part. Replace pan and gasket and hook up the flush machine to the cooler lines. Since I’m providing my own pan, gasket and new fasteners and oil, they will only charge me 2 shop hours for the flush.
Nah...you're not to blame, just a cog in the system to discover the truth...thanks.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
UPDATE!!

I could only wish that all of us who are experiencing early transmission failure would get an oil analysis done BEFORE anything is done.

I did 2 reports. First at 24k kms and second at 32k kms where it died.
-1. First shows glycol from the factory assembly and extreme abnormal numbers for copper, iron and sodium. Lab comment ALERT: change oil and filter.
-2. Complete flush done, Chrysler code compliant for 850RE transmission Amsoil Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF installed.
-3. Second analysis report 8k later at first transmission ESS code P1B14-00 (PARK BY WIRE, UNINTENDED PARK POSITION) won’t come out of park mode, - report shows NO glycol present but again, extreme abnormal copper and iron. Sodium not highlighted. Lab comment ALERT: change oil and filter.
4. Chrysler VOIDS warranty and blames my use of AMSOIL in transmission then unilaterally voids my entire drivetrain warranty for choosing AMSOIL over MOPAR.
5. AMSOIL legal department now involved.
6. I’ve cited District Service Manager for malice and for contravening and violating my legal rights to use a lubricant that meets or exceeds manufacture recommended oils and for contravening Canada’s Consumer Protection Act and America’s Magnuson Moss Act.

That’s where she sits today.

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
We’re you having any issues when you did the initial analysis at 24k kms?

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
We’re you having any issues when you did the initial analysis at 24k kms?
I was hearing a faint whine at about 20k kms, 4k prior to the first analysis but was uncertain where it was coming from. Then at 24k did the first oil analysis showing glycol. I was looking everywhere for the whine and brought it in. Tech said he could hear it and determined it was not diffs or centre bearing. I did find the next day an idler pulley wheel bearing was bad and dealership replaced it. Repair did not fix the whine and it steadily got louder. At 32k did second analysis. No glycol present but in both reports the metals were highlighted and ALERT from Lab to change oil in both reports.

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
Could weather be having an effect on your trans temps? Outside temps have probably been dropping over the course of you flushing things out and taking new readings as we go into winter.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Could weather be having an effect on your trans temps? Outside temps have probably been dropping over the course of you flushing things out and taking new readings as we go into winter.
Had flush done at National Transmission

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Hope it works out for you, sucks that your transmission may have been going bad and the fluid change gives them an out to warranty it.

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Hope it works out for you, sucks that your transmission may have been going bad and the fluid change gives them an out to warranty it.
My only saving grace is my analysis reports showing it’s failing condition prior to AMSOIL.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Did you tell them about the flush and fluid change? Hate to play the game (but's it's how a legal system seems to be setup) but seems to be a case of only tell them answers to questions they ask, don't divulge any other info freely. Innocent until proven guilty, with them having to provide the proof....

OP
OP
Maximus Gladius

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Did you tell them about the flush and fluid change? Hate to play the game (but's it's how a legal system seems to be setup) but seems to be a case of only tell them answers to questions they ask, don't divulge any other info freely. Innocent until proven guilty, with them having to provide the proof....
Tech knew as soon as he pulled the fill plug the oil wasn’t the right colour.
Sponsored