First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Max Tow > Mojave > Rubicon > Willys > Sport

In my opinion. Why?

It's a truck. I would imagine people bought a truck to be a truck. Although this "truck" is the most offroad capable truck. You will get the most out of a Max Tow. Still has Dana 44 wide axles and LSD. Best all around.

Why do I say Mojave > Rubicon? It does better for what it was built for. The Mojave is a beast on Sand. The Rubicon is mediocre over rocks. Idk why people want to rock crawl in a Gladiator. It makes zero sense to me. It just doesn't have the clearance without scraping everywhere. Why would you want to use a truck while it's loaded and go rock crawling? You will have way more fun in a Wrangler. (I owned one) and the Wrangler Rubicon is a beast over rocks. Buy a trailer to haul stuff.

Willys is great with the LSD like the Max tow. Great all around without the Towing capabilities. Good option for those wanting to save money that will never or
tow light weight.

Buy the Mojave if you will use it on sand. If not, I would save money and buy a Max Tow.
First off, I'm not a max tow hater. I know it's a great trim. But it's not right for everyone, and neither is any hierarchy of models. I didn't want a Wrangler. We already have and have had a Wrangler. I wanted a truck to haul stuff in the back when needed. Didn't want an automatic. No manual max tow. No lockers on max tow. Sure you can add them, but then no warranty. No electric sway bar disconnect on max tow. Sure, you can add it, but no warranty . I like the metal bumpers on the Rubicon. Again, you could add them aftermarket, but I like the factory ones. High clearance fenders. I like the look of them, and they keep me from having to trim anything to keep from rubbing. Each trim has its fit. No point in detracting from another JT. Live and let live. I wanted lockers, swaybar disconnect, manual, all with full factory warranty. Basically mine is for me a jeep before it's a truck. I just want a bed for those times when I need to haul something too big or too dirty for the Wrangler.
Lastly, a max tow optioned as close to my Rubicon as possible runs $47,160. My Rubicon was $49000. So it's not much cheaper, and by the time you're done adding stuff, it's more. Admittedly, mine is pretty basic for a Rubicon, but it's exactly what I was looking for.
Sponsored

Last edited:
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Sierra 2wd, NV3500 trans, 3:73 TruTrac
Hi guys, My wife and I were lurking around here in Orange County looking at various Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators. What is the deal with all the orange peel paint jobs on those specific models(Wranglers/Gladiators) in all trims? The Grand Cherokee and other trim levels had better quality factory paint jobs.

I did not see any Mojave Gladiators on the lot but at least 4 or 5 other trim levels including the Rubicon. Not one Wrangler to be had in stock new. This leads me to believe they are ready to deal since the Gladiator are just setting. FWIW all the Gladiators in stock were 2021 models.

I would only consider the Mojave trim if I was to purchase a Gladiator. The suspension, frame and other components are beefed up. I do not see the point of a Rubicon in such a large and long platform.

I already have a truck. I really don't consider a Mojave Gladiator as a truck. Bed is too short and they are ugly as sin (to me). OTOH I really like the functionality and durability as a platform for cross country travel, camping and harsh roads in desert/mountains.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi guys, My wife and I were lurking around here in Orange County looking at various Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators. What is the deal with all the orange peel paint jobs on those specific models(Wranglers/Gladiators) in all trims? The Grand Cherokee and other trim levels had better quality factory paint jobs.

I did not see any Mojave Gladiators on the lot but at least 4 or 5 other trim levels including the Rubicon. Not one Wrangler to be had in stock new. This leads me to believe they are ready to deal since the Gladiator are just setting. FWIW all the Gladiators in stock were 2021 models.

I would only consider the Mojave trim if I was to purchase a Gladiator. The suspension, frame and other components are beefed up. I do not see the point of a Rubicon in such a large and long platform.

I already have a truck. I really don't consider a Mojave Gladiator as a truck. Bed is too short and they are ugly as sin (to me). OTOH I really like the functionality and durability as a platform for cross country travel, camping and harsh roads in desert/mountains.
Can't say I've noticed orange peel. But Wranglers/Gladiators are made in a different factory than other jeeps. They are the only ones currently made in Toledo OH (original jeep headquarters), so that might account for the difference in appearance compared to other models. Maybe a different process at that plant? Also, the other models are more curvy. Gladiators/wranglers are angular/boxy, so maybe it sticks out to you more? Suspension isn't beefed up on Mojave, it's the same basic suspension across the board, except the remote reservoir front shocks on the Mojave. Different trims have different spring rates and different shocks, different ride heights, but none has a more beefed up suspension, unless you're just meaning those remote shocks. The Mojave does have reinforced frame welds, which could lend to durability, and the front shocks are quite nice though!

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Different trims have different spring rates and different shocks, different ride heights, but none has a more beefed up suspension, unless you're just meaning those remote shocks.
I was commenting in regards to gearing, wider axles, beefed up knuckles, hydraulic bump stops etc. The Mojave model has a bunch of various engineering going on that sets it apart from the other trim levels.

I have been doing researching until my eyes are watering over the last year on what my wife and I are going to get for our cross country retirement rig. She wants small and maneuverable over large. So 2 door Rubicon Wrangler vs the Mojave Gladiator vs 4 Runner.. Test driving on freeway will be the only way to decide. We may end up renting each one for a few days.

The Bronco is off the table just because I don't want to fight with Fords reliability issues. I have yet to own or work on a Ford that has not been a money pit.

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was commenting in regards to gearing, wider axles, beefed up knuckles, hydraulic bump stops etc. The Mojave model has a bunch of various engineering going on that sets it apart from the other trim levels
Gearing, at 4.1 final drive on the mojave, is the same as the max tow and the Rubicon. In low range, it's the same as max tow. The wider axles are also shared with max tow and Rubicon, but they are just wider versions of the same Dana 44s on the other Gladiators. Correct on the bump stops and the knuckles (forgot about those), and the reinforced frame. The seats have more bolstering and the steering wheel is more sporty, and looks easier to grip at speed as well. It can also rip in 4 low at higher speeds than the others. It's a nice truck/jeep!

Last edited:
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gearing, at 4.1 final drive on the mojave, is the same as the max tow and the Rubicon. The wider axles are also shared with max tow and Rubicon, but they are just wider versions of the same Dana 44s on the other Gladiators. Correct on the bump stops and the knuckles (forgot about those), and the reinforced frame. The seats have more bolstering and the steering wheel is more sporty as well. It can also rip in 4 low at higher speeds than the others. It's a nice truck/jeep!
Good info Chad. Thank you. I'll tell you that Mojave sounds like a hell of a rig!!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good info Chad. Thank you. I'll tell you that Mojave sounds like a hell of a rig!!
I think you'll like it the best of the bunch for mixed use. Folks seem to love how it handles on road and off. My Rubicon drives like a jeep on the street. Not in a bad way, but it is what it is. Off-road, once the swaybar is disconnects, it's at home.

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Financial Advisor
I was commenting in regards to gearing, wider axles, beefed up knuckles, hydraulic bump stops etc. The Mojave model has a bunch of various engineering going on that sets it apart from the other trim levels.

I have been doing researching until my eyes are watering over the last year on what my wife and I are going to get for our cross country retirement rig. She wants small and maneuverable over large. So 2 door Rubicon Wrangler vs the Mojave Gladiator vs 4 Runner.. Test driving on freeway will be the only way to decide. We may end up renting each one for a few days.

The Bronco is off the table just because I don't want to fight with Fords reliability issues. I have yet to own or work on a Ford that has not been a money pit.

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sure, you can just swap in those springs with some correction brackets. Few hours work.

The gearing package on the Mojave is the same as Max Tow Sport. Same transmission, 2.72 crawl box, and 4.10 differentials.

Mojave's are definitely cool, but in terms of the 'best riding Jeep' you're certainly able to accomplish the same in a Sport S if you want. The parts are available.

Sponsored

Mvitch

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sure, you can just swap in those springs with some correction brackets. Few hours work.

The gearing package on the Mojave is the same as Max Tow Sport. Same transmission, 2.72 crawl box, and 4.10 differentials.

Mojave's are definitely cool, but in terms of the 'best riding Jeep' you're certainly able to accomplish the same in a Sport S if you want. The parts are available.
Here’s a pretty good explanation

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good video, overall explains the differences. But Rubicons do lock the rear differential in 4 hi, so that's out of date. Also, as long as you have the towing package, engine cooling is the same.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Yeah I know. WRT to what you'd actually be able to get out of a Mojave in a place like VA, I still think it's not the right vehicle for the area in terms of you're going to actually be accessing the added benefits, other than the suspension which can be added to any Jeep. The things that make the Mojave stand truly out are lost in VA. I spent many years in DC metro area and up and down that eastern corridor, you aren't really doing Mojave things there. Which has been my point all along. It's called the Mojave for a reason, it isn't called the Malljave.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I know. WRT to what you'd actually be able to get out of a Mojave in a place like VA, I still think it's not the right vehicle for the area in terms of you're going to actually be accessing the added benefits, other than the suspension which can be added to any Jeep. The things that make the Mojave stand truly out are lost in VA. I spent many years in DC metro area and up and down that eastern corridor, you aren't really doing Mojave things there. Which has been my point all along. It's called the Mojave for a reason, it isn't called the Malljave.
High speed running isn't really a thing on the east coast. Too many rocks, too little dessert. But the Mojave still makes the case for the best riding "stock" jeep. Once we start modding, everything goes out the window, and trim means nothing. The only place I can think of to drive on sand on the east coast is Assateague Island Maryland. And you definitely better do that slow, and stay off the dunes. Many rules to follow and not really what I'd consider off roading, because there are stock CRVs driving there too.