Sponsored

Where do you carry Freedom Panels in the vehicle?

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Wait- why can't you easily remove the sunrider once installed? Isn't it just reverse of installation?
You totally can remove it easily after the initial install. You can even remove it as a whole assembly and don't need to go through all the steps. It's about a 2 minute job.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
In my garage

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
On my roof… or in my barn. I have never taken them off after leaving my house.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You totally can remove it easily after the initial install. You can even remove it as a whole assembly and don't need to go through all the steps. It's about a 2 minute job.

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
I’ve done this as well more than once. 2 minutes isn’t exaggerated. I go back to the freedom panels in the winter due to snow load.

Sponsored

bailer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Someone who has put the tops in the bag and stowed them behind the front seat........please post a pic. I can't figure out the orientation.
I must be missing something obvious.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
That's my plan, exactly.
There are so many nice winter days that it’s tough to do, but I don’t want to damage it with as much snow as we get. I’m already itching to put it back on.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
I got my Mojave in February (yep 2022 here we are), did my first F-panel removal today. (Around here May comes with virtual full time pollen falling from trees which ends around Memorial Day)...Yep, easy to take off, PIA to store.

Still, I will say, driving the Mojave with them off really kicks up the "Jeepy" feel even more...It was fun. I'll play around with them till July 1 and put my factory Sun-rider on.

Glad I found this thread, I was wondering which Brainiac's idea at the factory it was to include the 2 rubber stoppers without any instructions. Oh! They have nothing to do with the Freedom Panels - well, OK! :facepalm:

Sponsored

21Moja

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Master Distiller
Im surprised someone hasn't built dedicated storage in the bed for the panels...Would be easy enough to take it out if needed but something that actually stores them securely.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
When removing the panels and using the provided storage bag, where do you carry them? My salesperson indicated that it is set up to be placed in the rear seat area but could not show me how. It's very bulky. I know we have a bed on the JT but would not want to be concerned about theft.
I have a BAK revolver 4xs locking tonneau a cover so mine sit in truck bed. Laying horizontal has not been a problem, no damage. Does not slide. Had convertible soft tops in the past (TJ, sports car) and people cutting them made them the a PITA due to repairs, replacement. People just love to damage other peoples sh**. Soft tops just yell “cut me” in many cities. Don’t mind changing out the FT when needed since I always have them with me.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Im surprised someone hasn't built dedicated storage in the bed for the panels...Would be easy enough to take it out if needed but something that actually stores them securely.
I would not mind something that could be installed and removed easily, to hold the panels safe and secure in the back.

August 2020, Iowa - forecast for clear skies, winds light and variable - nice day, not terribly windy, not too hot, good day for panels off and some shopping 60 minutes away from home. We get to one of the stores my wife wanted to visit and found due to covid, the place closed on Mondays. She calls the owner - and after a couple of minutes my wife gets all panicked and said Kelly told her get to cover - park the vehicle and find a storm shelter. HUH? I look to the west - whoa - that sky is black, and it's moving fast. Wife stays on phone another minute or so while Kelly tells her what's going on, what's coming, and the damage already happening. I'm told - put panels back in and secure things in the truck and get out of town ASAP if not faster.
We hit the interstate and head home (man, that truck will go fast!) we see the black wall getting closer and closer, the wind is picking up bigly. We get about 10 miles from home and the air itself turns really dark, it's hard to see through it. Road signs, debris, construction barricades, tree branches, all go flying across the highway in front of us. We get to the turn that takes us the last few miles and all xxxx breaks loose. 50-70 mph winds driving torrential rains, we're being blown around a bit so I keep both hands on the wheel. Big pieces of tree are flying all over, branches you don't want to hit even with a Jeep.
Get home, power is out, trees have taken out power lines in several areas, one up the road from our place.

So much for a nice day, no storms.
It's Iowa - we deal with popcorn storms a lot. You head for a car show, windows down, forecast is for a decent day, then you get 3" of rain in 30 minutes, and it's all over, sun comes back out.

Moral of the story - I never leave the panels at home if the destination is over 30 minutes away, and that's almost anything for us.

I put the panels in their bag, lay it in the bed of the truck, strap it so it can't slide around. The problem is - if I were hauling something and needed the space, I guess I'd just put the panels back on the truck.
My tonneau cover is secured - I have latches so they'd have to destroy the cover to see what's back there, unless I left the truck unlocked. (which I don't do)

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
That's why I got the Best top Sunrider. It opens with two latches very easily and I don't have any storage issues.
Does the Sunrider flap around on the freeway, or is it just for slower speeds?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Sunrider flap around on the freeway, or is it just for slower speeds?
Works fine on the interstate, but I typically shut it if driving faster than 65. Open the rear slider to fix the buffeting.
Sponsored