Work in an Oven
Must have took the blue pill ...

Sponsored

COmtnbiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ; 2022 Sport S JT
Ive had a 4 jeeps before this one all manual 4wd shifters, none this hard to pull back, Ill give it a few more weeks then off to the dealership
My TJ's were easy to engage; the JT even after multiple uses is still tight.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
If I was going to go into 4L I would shift to N but the issue is going into 4H or just moving the lever in general
With an automatic, how do you get it rolling show and be in N at the same time? I'm new to auto + 4wd. My last was a manual shift Commanche.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
With an automatic, how do you get it rolling show and be in N at the same time? I'm new to auto + 4wd. My last was a manual shift Commanche.
Stop. Lightly accelerate, release foot from pedal and the truck should be crawling forward. Shift trans to N, pull transfer case lever from 4H through N all the way back to 4L in one pull which is a little to the right. Shift trans back to D.

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Stop. Lightly accelerate, release foot from pedal and the truck should be crawling forward. Shift trans to N, pull transfer case lever from 4H through N all the way back to 4L in one pull which is a little to the right. Shift trans back to D.
Thanks. I need to practice.

BaileyW7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Pull hard. You won’t hurt it. Don’t stop in neutral. If you do it’s gets way harder and grinds gears

Sponsored

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
When my salesman was giving me the initial walkthrough within minutes of me getting the keys, he had me sit in the drivers seat and he stood outside the window. He just gave me the normal run down of how to do everything, including the wipers and turn signal.

When it came time for 4 wheel drive, he simple said, pull that shifter straight down to go into 4H. I pulled, it didn't budge. I pulled again, nothing. He said it might take some force, put some muscle into it. I put both hands on it, and pulled as hard as I could without feeling like I was going to break something, like put my foot through the floor. It didn't go, and I didn't want to break my brand new Jeep I waited 2 months for.

So I got out, and my salesman jumped in, and it yanked on it, and put it right into 4H, and then 4L, and back to 2H. I was like "dude, no way, I pulled that thing so hard." I felt like he pulled a trick on me. But I'm chalking it up to the fact that the transmission moved when he jumped in.

Mine never loosened up, but I do find it much easier to yank down when I'm crawling 1 MPH. The gears need to eventually align, and half the time, they won't be at a stand still.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
If mine doesn't shift into 4wd right away at a stop, I shift into another gear for a second, then go to neutral, then shift it into 4wd. Works every time. For autos, I guess the equivalent would be going to drive for a second, then going to neutral.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
For me, if I'm putting it in 4Lo, I'm most likely on an incline and it will roll forward/backward. Sand runners will need other tricks.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Is it me or the truck, but it is hard to pull the lever back in to 4wd, when I pull it back in to 4H it has a good amount of tension on it making it somewhat difficult to pull it backwards, is this normal? from what I have seen in videos looks like most people's shift lever have very little tension on them, is yours soft and easy to pull or do you have to fight ? 2022 mojave not even a month old
First couple of weeks when new I thought I was going to break the stupid thing, but then it changed to be easier to use. Your experience has been the same for many on this board.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
2L to 4H can be accomplished up to 45mph. Mine was pretty stiff at first but got much easier after some use (maybe 15-20 times). 4H to 4L should be done at a slow roll of 2-3 mph. I have a manual trans so it is easy for me to simply clutch-in shift to 4L and clutch-out. 4H to 4L was initially very stiff as well, but got much easier after using it 10-15 times.
Sponsored