First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willy's
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that ESS is not designed to improve fuel economy. I've seen reports that it has little to no impact on fuel economy. What it was designed for is to lessen emissions. The engine doesn't run at idle so it's not polluting.

Having said that, Jeep's implementation leaves a lot to be desired.
@ShadowsPapa shared some studies that proved 2-3 MPG could be gained through the use of the ESS. Either way, not worth it in it's current state.
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I deleted my AUX battery completely ... disconnected and isolated the grounds, ran the positive to the main battery.
Did you leave the second battery in the Jeep? Do you have more details on the process?

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
I wonder if you delete the ESS battery if that affects your warranty in any way?

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
I'm not positive, but I believe it would not be possible to hook up the small battery in reverse. I don't think the cables would reach.

However, when I replaced both batteries after experiencing all the 'classic' signs of a failure - ESS Not ready and Auxiliary switches not working, I was shocked at the procedure to accomplish the task. I can't believe that an auto manufacturer would design something so that you have to disconnect EVERY electrical connection at the power distribution block in order to access the lower battery. It seems ripe for problems or failure. I don't care if it's a Master Technician, an 18 year old auto parts store clerk or a shade tree DIY'er, I would not want anybody touching, moving or disconnecting the very heart of the electric system. I know there is little space available under the hood, but it all seemed a bit much for a "simple" battery swap.

OP - Sorry for the horrible experience. I'm not surprised the dealership is not offering you much for apologies, their lawyers don't want them to say a single word. As much as I detest EVERY dealer in which I have experience, I doubt it's worth your time or sanity to go "scorched earth" or "sue the pants off" as some suggest.

I hope you are quickly made whole with a newer, better, badder Jeep (or whatever you choose)!!
Talk to the insurance company. They may suggest you also hire your own attorney in addition. That been my experience.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I wonder if you delete the ESS battery if that affects your warranty in any way?
Major electrical/systems modification - 100% will hit a void real quick on anything electrical.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Talk to the insurance company. They may suggest you also hire your own attorney in addition. That been my experience.

Yeah, I would follow what my insurance company sugest. I am sure they ahve been through this before. Good luck OP. Sorry this happend to you.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
No apology or anything. Just told me to file a claim with my insurance.
Any insurance company worth a damn is going to deny this all day long. Barring an actual collision with another vehicle or object, the only way an insurance company would pay out is under their comprehensive coverage. IE, the coverage you use when you're clearly not at fault, but the thing that IS at fault can't indemnify you (hail, a deer, or an "act of god").

This is not that. No fucking way I would pay this claim.

If there's a leinholder on this, I would go to them and explain that the dealership messed up their property.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Major electrical/systems modification - 100% will hit a void real quick on anything electrical.
Nothing was modified ... Reinstall battery and reconnect positive lead from the main to the AUX and your back to OEM configuration. Wiring sequence is nothing more than what Genesis does to install their system.

Keep in mind I had no issue with the ESS system when it worked. After the second instance of "Battery Charging" I opted to chuck the AUX. ESS now works ...

Now in light of the topic of this thread ... and what I've done to my rig. Whenever routing wiring one must be certain that said wiring is 1) of proper gauge per current and run length, 2) is ran clean avoiding any areas of compromise though abrasion and/or vibration, 3) is adequately sleeved and insulated, and 4) is properly connected.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
That is absolutely horrible. dangit. Hang in there.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
... and then when lawsuit/settlement over provided no gag, go scorched earth on the dealer:

Yelp
Google
BBB
State BAR ( auto repair not legal )
Letters to Jeep

Dealers get away with being scum because not enough people do this.
Yelp is pretty useless. They take payments to promote positive reviews and hide negative reviews. And if anyone is going to pay for that, it's a dealer.

Google reviews appear useful. Not sure if there's any corruption there, but dealers don't care.

BBB is completely useless. You can file a report with them and there it ends. BBB literally takes no action whatsoever in any way.

A very concise and polite snail mail letter to Jeep corporate is a very good idea. Almost nobody does this anymore, so no kidding, such letters can be very effective.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
The first thing I would do is notify the dealer that they are in the hook for this. An attorney worth his salt would have a field day with this case. They will then cover all your mods plus time away from work to deal with issue etc.
I doubt any lawyer would go anywhere near a claim against a car dealer. An insurance company could possibly go after a dealer to cover their losses. But they don't and that speaks volumes.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Yelp is pretty useless. They take payments to promote positive reviews and hide negative reviews. And if anyone is going to pay for that, it's a dealer.

Google reviews appear useful. Not sure if there's any corruption there, but dealers don't care.

BBB is completely useless. You can file a report with them and there it ends. BBB literally takes no action whatsoever in any way.

A very concise and polite snail mail letter to Jeep corporate is a very good idea. Almost nobody does this anymore, so no kidding, such letters can be very effective.
Every bad review I've ever sent on Yelp remains public. Including the 1 Star I gave the Jeep dealer I bought my truck from. You do have to be a prolific reviewer for them to not question your reviews.

Most San Diego Jeep dealers are 3 stars or less. Usually 2.5. They ain't paying to hide negs.

While BBB is useless as far as getting your remedy, it is useful to build a negative profile for a dealer and cost them business. I won't use a business with a poor BBB profile. Many others same.
Sponsored