Sponsored

The good and the bad of a roots supercharger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
The head is bigger on the non groove rocker. Also no groove. The head is what feeds the vvl mechanism, so if the oil escapes via the groove or a loose fitting head, the vvl will not stay disengaged at low rpm. Thus using the duty cycle to 100% which I don't believe is intended.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The head is bigger on the non groove rocker. Also no groove. The head is what feeds the vvl mechanism, so if the oil escapes via the groove or a loose fitting head, the vvl will not stay disengaged at low rpm. Thus using the duty cycle to 100% which I don't believe is intended.
Ok, the way the pic was shadowed and the groove was a bit deceiving.
I see now that it's smaller.
So with the smaller lifter, oil would leak out, dropping the pressure holding the pin when it's supposed to be in low lift mode causing the pin to move in and put it in high lift mode, off the rollers.
That could make it noisier because of the lash of the pin as well as higher lift isn't as quiet anyway.

So, why right or odd bank only?
This would sort of let out the solenoids as there are two each bank and I'd not expect both front and rear to have problems at the same time, and only on the right bank. If it was a solenoid issue, I'd expect only the rear 2 cylinders or number 1 to have issues.
In pretty much every case, it's all 3 cylinders.
(Thin oil - hmmmmm, leaks out easier, faster)

Thanks - I can be a bit slow on the uptake at times.

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I think the system holds together when it is cold. When the oil gets fuel riddled and hot things go south. I think a small percentage are solenoids, I have seen two driver side failures. My guess is solenoids as they had the right lifters in there. This is such a major foul up. And it is giving a bad name to a potentially ok design. The flat tappet part is not real smart in this day and age

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘99 XJ, ‘09 JKUR, ‘21 MOJAVE
Occupation
Professional killer
You’re spot on Dave. The flat tappet, non-roller high lift part is not very high-tech, or friction free. Add the incorrect lifters and bled oil pressure and no wonder the cam/rockers get chewed up. My question or rather fear is what amount of this silver slurry got fed to the bearings and small oil passages to all of the affected engines? The design on the incorrect lifters is such that the exhaust rockers “snap” onto them over that groove in the smaller head. Pretty obviously the wrong parts. I wonder about others that have pulled both sides??? Did they have different lash adjusters or wrong on both sides. For the money these vehicles cost and how hard the parts are to actually get, this is not very confidence-inspiring.

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well this may be the gift that keeps on giving. Though I will take credit for this one. In my tune strategy I dump fuel and open the exhaust valves when the cylinders get noisy to avoid moving the head gasket or worse.

Today I was accelerating on to the interstate and power felt off but numbers look OK. I have had to dial back fuel trims lately too. The engine light came on blinking as I was leaning into it but I had no detonation. Then I heard a pit of a pop and smoke and debris flew out of the back of my truck. I figured this was it I blew it up. But I let out of it and the lights turned off and it continued to drive fine. Got an avenger light when I let out of it.

Checked gauges and kept driving. Everything seemed fine but power is down a bit. My best guess the passenger side converter is coming apart from when the the cam went flat and it was throwing the mixture off. The code says catalyst overheat so, that jibes with my story.

Uggghh.

Sponsored

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional killer
One adventure bleeds into the next with these trucks. I’m already trying to source the parts preemptively….

dodgeman70592

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2011 Challenger SRT IE #94, 2023 392XR
Occupation
Sales Manager
Wow, quite the journey here. Thank you for sharing with everyone what you are going through. If not for valuable info like this, most would be unprepared for what could possibly happen down the road. I have a 2020 JTR as well that I was looking to boost, but I'm thinking of skipping that step and going straight Hemi swap now. I liked the blower for simplicity, looks, and of course cost. But, this info has really given me pause. Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, what do you do with this engine??? Everyone is like it is a 200K engine. Give me one with 75k on it and let me log data while giving it hell. I bet I can show you issues, if it has never been opened. It will run normal everyday stuff fine. Until you clog a cat or need all 280 hp

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well false alarm,,,, pheww!! So I just went and worked over that entry ramp for 3 hours. I met a cop, lol. I showed him my jeep and what I was doing, and he said be careful and keep it under 90, and he was good as long as he was covering that area.

So today got to 100 degrees. Cylinder 5,had a couple misfires, my guess is because it was hot. My ambient fuel compensation for a misfire was not tuned at that temp. It basically over fueled and fouled the plug and I blew out a ton of fuel. After all the tuning, everything seemed to be back to normal and I have a really decent wot fueling curve now!

1BadCtdBrute

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional killer
That’s a relief. I can’t wait to get back to getting mine to that point!

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Well false alarm,,,, pheww!! So I just went and worked over that entry ramp for 3 hours. I met a cop, lol. I showed him my jeep and what I was doing, and he said be careful and keep it under 90, and he was good as long as he was covering that area.

So today got to 100 degrees. Cylinder 5,had a couple misfires, my guess is because it was hot. My ambient fuel compensation for a misfire was not tuned at that temp. It basically over fueled and fouled the plug and I blew out a ton of fuel. After all the tuning, everything seemed to be back to normal and I have a really decent wot fueling curve now!
Glad to hear it worked out!

I really want to put a blower on this thing one day but that really depends entirely on you and others working out all the kinks with the engine first!

cmb396

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
So don't got WOT when its a 100+ out?!?!

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will be sending update shortly so u can. To be clear it is WOT from 60-90 mph up hill lol

OP
OP

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also now that I think about it. I am on my development tune, which has things way more amped up then what I let you all drive. Unless I specifically have asked you to test this.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.