First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Retired Military
I had a Jeep Gladiator Rubicon and have been in love for the past 1.5 years. Everything came to a sudden end this morning when I woke up and went outside to find that it was gone. From video surveillance I obtained from two of my neighbours, we can see two thieves walk up like they owned it, reached under the engine area (Assume they cut the horn wires, disabling it from sounding by the alarm) opened the hood, you can see quick car light flashing on/off, and they jump in it and drove away. Took under 4 mins from the time they walked onto my property at 4:50AM. Called the police and it was the second Jeep Gladiator reported for my area today. There have been several thefts of Jeep Gladiators reported in the past few days in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). Please take precautions to protect your Jeep Gladiators, Wranglers, and other Jeep products as they are all susceptible to new theft measures.

Add a separate hood horn or other deterrent devices along with video security. Wish I had a garage big enough to park mine.

Be safe, protect yourselves and your very defenceless Jeep babies!

IMG_0135.JPG
SO sorry JEEP Brother
Sponsored

Whiskerbiscuit

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Ford Flex
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Dang!! There is nothing lower than a thief! Scum of the earth.
Though I can agree this sucks. But in prison they don't shank thieves.... there is a special place in hell for the other criminals.... but theives do suck. A few years back some teenagers in my local area bought a car fob duper, about 2am they went to everyone's cars they duped and opened the windows and doors during a Strom. And stole pointless things.

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Yeah, on the footage that I have the thief has an iPad/tablet in his hands and never even touches the doors. He goes near the jeep with the iPad then places it on the ground. He then goes under the front of the jeep on the passenger side tire and then he opens the hood with a partner. They do something near the battery side, probably in the fuse box. The lights flicker, they close the hood, jump in the Jeep, start it and drive away... :(
sounds to me, they AIR TAGGED you, followed and scoped you out for a few days, waited for you to either remote start or operate your key fob and then cloned it... They can clone your fob and be gone in under a minute. I'm no expert, but there is a lot of info on key fob cloning... another poster said this was new and rare... but although it is some one of the latest technics, it's not that new.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
sounds to me, they AIR TAGGED you, followed and scoped you out for a few days, waited for you to either remote start or operate your key fob and then cloned it... They can clone your fob and be gone in under a minute. I'm no expert, but there is a lot of info on key fob cloning... another poster said this was new and rare... but although it is some one of the latest technics, it's not that new.
Just so you know, with the newest key fobs you don't need to operate anything, it is always sending a signal...And the main, not the only way, they hack the car is by picking up the signal right through one's house wall with an antenna and electronics while you sleep. Next highest is in parking lots and stores as a dirt bag tails you.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
ya that sux man. Thankfully I have 3 cameras in the front of my property. I also have the spare key in a RFID blocking box to block any signal. Ya if a thief really wants it they will take it. but I will make it that much harder for them. Low life scum... However. Due to the guy I got a brand new Premium soft top from having his Rubicon stolen and then getting a new one. I was able to get the top for $1300 cause he just didnt need 2 tops and wanted it gone. so Win for me on that instance
RF blocking. All you need to block an RFID scan is about an inch of air.

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Military
Just so you know, with the newest key fobs you don't need to operate anything, it is always sending a signal...And the main, not the only way, they hack the car is by picking up the signal right through one's house wall with an antenna and electronics while you sleep. Next highest is in parking lots and stores as a dirt bag tails you.
EXACTLY ... I was unaware of the constant signal.. so thank you... time for some RFID blockers and being a little more cautious . Anybody got any decent RFID blockers out there ?

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
pease explain
The RFID chip in our Fobs is passive. It's there so you can start your car if the Fob battery dies. The chipset in our Fobs is an active RF emitter, can be repeated, lets you open your door etc if you have that option, start the car with key in your pocket.

The RFID chip is scanned by reader in the start button if you touch the Fob to it. Electomagnetic energy energizes the tag and the reader authenticates it. Your RFID works with the fob battery and board completely removed. It cannot be intercepted or "sniffed" hanging on your wall inside your house the way the active RF Fob can. It must be read with an RF reader nearly touching it.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
ya that sux man. Thankfully I have 3 cameras in the front of my property. I also have the spare key in a RFID blocking box to block any signal. Ya if a thief really wants it they will take it. but I will make it that much harder for them. Low life scum... However. Due to the guy I got a brand new Premium soft top from having his Rubicon stolen and then getting a new one. I was able to get the top for $1300 cause he just didnt need 2 tops and wanted it gone. so Win for me on that instance
Your area may be different, but security cameras aren't much help. Most police departments don't have the resources to actively investigate personal vehicle thefts. You simply file a report on the police web site and use that for the insurance claim. That's it. Whether or not you have video, it goes no further.

Years ago a local woman reported her son's car was stolen. Shortly thereafter, she found the stolen car parked in front of a nearby house. She called the police. They weren't interested. Yeah, this is all too typical here in the 21st century.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Web Developer
Your area may be different, but security cameras aren't much help. Most police departments don't have the resources to actively investigate personal vehicle thefts. You simply file a report on the police web site and use that for the insurance claim. That's it. Whether or not you have video, it goes no further.

Years ago a local woman reported her son's car was stolen. Shortly thereafter, she found the stolen car parked in front of a nearby house. She called the police. They weren't interested. Yeah, this is all too typical here in the 21st century.
More so hoping the cameras would deter some of the smarter thieves at least. Even if cops do nothing at least I may catch a glimpse of them. I mean any deterrent is helpful. if not We would all leave our house doors unlocked right.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
More so hoping the cameras would deter some of the smarter thieves at least. Even if cops do nothing at least I may catch a glimpse of them. I mean any deterrent is helpful. if not We would all leave our house doors unlocked right.
Not while it’s acceptable to wear a mask during the ‘vid’. Most thieves I see on Ring cam posts are wearing hoodies and masks.

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Web Developer
Not while it’s acceptable to wear a mask during the ‘vid’. Most thieves I see on Ring cam posts are wearing hoodies and masks.
Ya true. but Thieves are pretty dumb. and if they are local I may be able to match up clothing. eitehr way. any little thing may help

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
I wonder how the old-fashioned theft device "The Club" for the steering wheel would work in today's high-tech theft world? :idea:

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I can see that.
Sponsored