Sponsored

Is it me, or does the JT really struggle...

Scratch

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Gator, 2019 JL Mojave Bikini, 2011 JK Sport
I would really like more power out of my 3.6 JTR and often tell my wife I'd like to trade for a diesel or add a super charger. In fact this damn thing keeps impressing me. I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains and this things flies up the hills and I pull a small RV about 5,000 lbs. This thing keeps impressing me. There are times I think ok this will slow me down...the darn thing keeps going.
Yes I'd like a hemi, a diesel or a super charger but so far definitely don't need one.
Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
My point is that even optimal acceleration is not ver optimal. As mentioned above, lack of power is an issue in the midsized truck segment. With emissions and epa regulations, not sure of a fix.
What is optimal? The JT does 0-60 around 8 seconds, pretty decent imo.

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
Itā€™s not bad at all really. I wonder if what people are objecting to isnā€™t so much the speed of a truck like thisā€¦ itā€™s that it feels like itā€™s working pretty darn hard to do it. Between the exhaust and the lack of sound deadening (not complaining, just observing) you know the Pentastar is doing work.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Iā€™m not rating itā€™s performance on this measure. Itā€™s performance lacks under the curve. In a truck, you want and need torque down low. Below 2k rpms this motor is gutless and it is amplified by the weight of the vehicle. I knew this going in and I am learning to deal with it. Besides the diesel, I wish FCA would have created a more suited motor for the JL/JT/Ram line.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I feel like this is turning into one of those threads where we'll have to agree to disagree on what's gutless versus powerful.

Iā€™m not rating itā€™s performance on this measure. Itā€™s performance lacks under the curve. In a truck, you want and need torque down low. Below 2k rpms this motor is gutless and it is amplified by the weight of the vehicle. I knew this going in and I am learning to deal with it. Besides the diesel, I wish FCA would have created a more suited motor for the JL/JT/Ram line.
You can always add one later.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Two Door Rubicon, 2017 Audi Q5, 2016 Ram, 2016 Yamaha XSR900
I feel like this is turning into one of those threads where we'll have to agree to disagree on what's gutless versus powerful.

You can always add one later.
I agree. Some are ok with the power while others are not. Nothing wrong with that!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I agree. Some are ok with the power while others are not. Nothing wrong with that!
And lucky for us there are ways of changing that.

Do electric vehicle owners complain about power? Can they swap out the battery pack that comes from the factory for a supercharged pack?

Deleted member 30519

Everyone these days wants a fast vehicle weather it's a truck, car , SUV etc. This was the one vehicle you should of stayed away from if you are one of those people. You wanted to have cake and eat it too. Sucks for you

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The 4.0l/Aw4 4 speed auto would feel like a boat anchor in a gladiator. XJs and MJs are super light.
Yes if you look at my current icon picture, was making good time on a road in Europe in my MJ 4.0 H.O. it's about 1/2 to3/5 of the weight of a JT. Strangely I did get good mpg out of it until I took it to Europe, not so much then. šŸ˜‰ At 85 MPH plus the mileage drops quite a bit, and they will go over quite a bit over 165 KPH.. šŸ™„ I don't want to see or drive my JT anywhere near the fast, another reason I drive Jeeps otherwise I'd be driving to damn fast. I regularly got 25 plus mpg for of my MJ in early 90s but straight gasoline not the gas sour-mash mix, aka gas from KY, IN vs IL.

I'm another that doesn't like seeing higher RPMs I'm use to seeing lower and trying not to wind up the engine. I have to remind myself that it's a V6 not a inline 6 (4.0)

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
I have no issue with high rpms, modern engines are designed and made to run at high rpm for extended periods of time without issue. I have 4 stroke outboard motors that can run at 6k all day long without issue.

TRI-JAB

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samson-'20 Gladiator,'07 BMW Z4,'22 BMW M340 xDriv
Build Thread
Link
I installed a HikeIt in my JT two days agoā€¦ super impressed on the increase in responsiveness on the pedal. It was a really good deal for $118 shipped.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I have no issue with high rpms, modern engines are designed and made to run at high rpm for extended periods of time without issue. I have 4 stroke outboard motors that can run at 6k all day long without issue.
When I moved from CO to NC, we got a 26ā€™ Penske and hauled My wifeā€™s Altima on a car hauler behind the Penske. I my best friend and I drove the Penske and her and my best friendā€™s wife drove my 2010 Xterra. There was something wrong with that Penske and it would barely do 55 on flat land and any hill it lost speed. When we got to the mtns in VA, it was pathetic. It would barely do 25-30 mph up the hills. After two long days of driving I said F*** it and unhooked the Altima and pulled it on the car hauler behind the Xterra. It only had a 5k lb tow capacity, but it pulled it like a champ compared to the Penske. I was over the tow capacity. Granted I didnā€™t give a f*** anymore at that point and still did 60-65 up the grades. On the steep grades, it would drop to second gear and was at over 5k rpm for several minutes at a time, but it never faltered. It only had like 40k miles on it at the time, but we had it for another 100k miles and it was fine. The temp and oil pressure never changed. I always ran synthetic oil in it, but it was like it never happened. Modern engines are different and Nissan VQ engines are probably tougher than our pentastars, but that would have been an early death for a lot of old school ā€œbullet proofā€ engines.

Semi related, but the high RPM got an extended period of time comment made me think of itā€¦.

Reactions: Mac