Sponsored

2020 Jeep GLADIATOR Pickup (JT) Model Name Leaked on FCA Media Site!

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Now that I've thought about it, I've never really liked Wrangler either. Its just a little too rootin' tootin' cowboy for my tastes. I took the Wrangler stickers off my TJ, and TJ is exactly what I call it. So my truck will also likely get stripped, and just be a JT. Now to just get that thing in my driveway/garage...
It's funny, when I hear "Jeep" I always think of a Wrangler/CJ style ... if someone says they have a Jeep, I presume they mean a Wrangler but I never actually think the word "Wrangler." I think for me, the only reason I only do the "Jeep Wave" at Wranglers is that I forget everyone else is a Jeep too.
Sponsored

laffman

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler, 1990 Jeep YJ Wrangler Laredo, 2010 Jeep JK Wrangler Islander
Vehicle Showcase
I really think Jeep should have come up with a new name altogether. There was never was a 4 door Gladiator or Gladiator.

Last edited by a moderator:

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I really think Jeep should have come up with a new name altogether. There was never was a 4 door Gladiator or Gladiator.
By that reasoning, there never was a 4 door Wrangler so that should have a different name too.

I would say go with Comanche, but I don't believe we'll ever have "culture appropriating" names for vehicles again.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
If not "Gladiator" then I totally agree. Feels like they are working too hard to fit in some nostalgia into the name. And names referencing Native Americans will likely be phased out.

With all that said, up to me I'd have recommended "Jeep Overland" as the JT's marketing name and kill off all future trim packages from using that name.

Then utilize trim package names like "Renegade" (in lieu of "Sport"), "Sahara", and "Rubicon" saving "Gladiator" for some later special release (similar to "Moab").

To me "Gladiator" sounds perfect for a super hard-core off-road limited edition model with 35" tires, 2-3" lift, winch-enabled, bead lock rims, skid plating, twin or triple stick transfer case...and a couple of unique options like different front end fenders/hood/grille (like the Crew Chief concept), bed rack, and an option to order a factory aluminum flatbed tray (think Alucab or one of the other Aussie or South African off-road companies).

Taking above naming input into account you'd have these options for model + trim package:

Overland Renegade
Overland Sahara
Overland Rubicon
Overland Gladiator

Instead of this clunkiness:

Gladiator Sport
Gladiator Overland
Gladiator Rubicon

Maybe just me but the first 4 work together MUCH better than the last 3 name combinations.

laffman

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler, 1990 Jeep YJ Wrangler Laredo, 2010 Jeep JK Wrangler Islander
Vehicle Showcase
By that reasoning, there never was a 4 door Wrangler so that should have a different name too.
Yeah, not a fan of that one either. Sells a lot and makes Chrysler a lot of money. But I put in the same class as the Liberty and new Renegade, a Jeep that never should have been. But that's just my taste. I guess I'm too old school with my Jeeps. You say Jeep, I think of a CJ, short wheelbase and 2 doors, that's it.

I don't think the name really matters. I think most true Jeepers, like the folks on this forum, will say they have a JT, not Gladiator, when asked what kind of Jeep they drive. If they don't know what that means, it's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand. :cwl:

I guess we should glad that they didn't call it the Wrangler Truck (JLT) like Hummer did with the H3T. Talk about jinxing it.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
At this point, I don’t care if they name it “ Jeep Piece of Crap”. I’d buy it and be proud of my Piece of Crap. Bring it on!

Sponsored

firemedic2714

First Name
Scotty P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Rubicon, 19 Genesis G70, 1972 Ford LTD coupe
Occupation
Firefighter / Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
For the non Jeep person, I think that Gladiator sounds like it belongs at the carnival. Is the Zipper next down the pipe?
Scrambler is better? It sounds like it belongs in a kitchen.

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Wow, I didn't even realize that I messed that up. Actually, I meant Scrambler...as in the ride at a carnival.
Actually, we ran a script that changed all references of "Scrambler" to "Gladiator" to try to account for the name change... Needless to say it had some unintended consequences. :facepalm: Sorry guys, you'll have to forgive the strange wording in some posts.

ridesaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango, RAM
Gladiator vs Scrambler
I would imagine that there are some creative aftermarket companies who will create a decal/badge set embracing the "Scrambler" name that you will be able to purchase.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Actually, we ran a script that changed all references of "Scrambler" to "Gladiator" to try to account for the name change... Needless to say it had some unintended consequences. :facepalm: Sorry guys, you'll have to forgive the strange wording in some posts.
giphy.gif
Sponsored