2 Door Gladiator Version?

Fishdoc

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler X
My dealer told me only 4dr because the take rate on 2dr JK and JL is down to 10%. Translation, soccer moms rule and even the 2dr JL may be history soon, FCA really thinks no one wants them and they want to simplify the line with 4dr only. If they should do that I believe a 2dr rubicon would become solid gold
Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
My dealer told me only 4dr because the take rate on 2dr JK and JL is down to 10%. Translation, soccer moms rule and even the 2dr JL may be history soon, FCA really thinks no one wants them and they want to simplify the line with 4dr only. If they should do that I believe a 2dr rubicon would become solid gold
Sounds like your dealer is a blow hard.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I think there is going to be at least an extended cab as alternative configuration - maybe not o at launch but soon thereafter. I think the main thing to remember this is supposed to be a pickup truck and not an SUV - therefore, bed utility should be a huge factor and to me a 60 inch bed is useless. As a pickup truck I would much prefer increased payload room and less so about having a crew cab.

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
In regards to a 2 door being produced.. in the eloquent words of Clark W. Griswald: " I wouldnt be more surprised if I woke up with my head sewn to the carpet". The only reason Jeep even sells a 2 door wrangler at this point is because of the outcry from purists. Almost every JL we have sold has been to a middle age woman, and only 4 doors. I haven't even seen someone test drive a 2 door yet....and why would they? A janky steel wheel, crank window soft top auto is 34 grand. 2 door jeeps died when they stopped costing 20 grand. The only 2 people who even make an extended cab fullsize anymore is Ford and Nissan. Everybody else has switched to two different crew cab configurations. A few people here and there can whine about a small bed but when it comes to the numbers....the vast majority dont care.

Sponsored

Fishdoc

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler X
I think there is going to be at least an extended cab as alternative configuration - maybe not o at launch but soon thereafter. I think the main thing to remember this is supposed to be a pickup truck and not an SUV - therefore, bed utility should be a huge factor and to me a 60 inch bed is useless. As a pickup truck I would much prefer increased payload room and less so about having a crew cab.
The concept the dealer showed me 13 years ago was indeed a 2dr pickup. Somewhere between here and there soccer moms took over the company. The purist doesn’t make money for FCA. I will wait till the 28th but there are other choices, like the ram rebel

chipbutty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None...yet
About all this soccer mom business though....

When I was a kid, Dad had a 2 door Jimmy. I don't even think it had a back seat but even if it did, this thing was basically a pickup truck. Didn't matter, it was for work. Mom stayed at home and we either walked everywhere or took a bus.

Fast forward 35 years, a lot of families have two parents working. Having a purpose built "truck" truck isn't always an option. Dad's (or Mom's) truck has to pull double duty as a family hauler.

Times have changed and vehicles are ungodly expensive. The Gladiator isn't a four door because of hoity toity, latte drinkin, MILFs in designer boots. It's a four door because that's what families need nowadays.

Times change folks.

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
^^^ @chipbutty LOL!

If I hear one more 2 door or bed is too short complaint I'm going to scream.

Short bed complainers should realize you are simply looking at the wrong f-----g vehicle. If you need to regularly move plywood sheets and 2x4x8s you arguably should be in a full size truck.

And for the 2 door complainers DV8 makes a short cab roof and rear half doors (similar to JK8?) and Ref River makes an extension for the JK. Combine these two concepts with a bolt together kit and you'll have your two door Scrambler:

IMG_8185.JPG

IMG_8186.JPG

So what you would end up with look something similar to this (sorry for the poor Photoshop attempt):

IMG_8188.JPG

Last edited:

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
The concept the dealer showed me 13 years ago was indeed a 2dr pickup. Somewhere between here and there soccer moms took over the company. The purist doesn’t make money for FCA. I will wait till the 28th but there are other choices, like the ram rebel
Actually the Gladiator concept was a 3 door truck.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
And I'll say again...

Full size SUVs and trucks are proxies for the full size sedans and wagons that CAFE regulated out of the market. Consumers still prefer the size and power that came with those vehicles.

CAFE also incentivizes manufacturers to build bigger vehicles overall, and light trucks in particular. The larger the footprint of the vehicle, the lower fuel economy standard they need to meet.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
I have talked it over with my fab guy. We are going to build a bed extension out of aluminum that will attach to the JT bed and extend the bed to probably a 8 foot bed. I will use it mostly for hauling firewood. I will probably use a junk tailgate so that I don't bang up the JT one.

My 1st step will be to get a feeling of what 1600lbs of split wood looks like and to see how long of a bed I need. My concept will be keep it simple stupid. I have found that works best when I fab stuff up.

I may have the worlds first JT with a 8 foot bed. It will be ugly as hell :cwl:

fmdog44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 titan
Ram will no longer make two door trucks but I saw a pic of 2 dr. jeep truck but they said it is under consideration.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I would prefer a two door over a four door!

laffman

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler, 1990 Jeep YJ Wrangler Laredo, 2010 Jeep JK Wrangler Islander
Vehicle Showcase

Djrobb

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 Tacoma crew cab long bed
I have talked it over with my fab guy. We are going to build a bed extension out of aluminum that will attach to the JT bed and extend the bed to probably a 8 foot bed. I will use it mostly for hauling firewood. I will probably use a junk tailgate so that I don't bang up the JT one.

My 1st step will be to get a feeling of what 1600lbs of split wood looks like and to see how long of a bed I need. My concept will be keep it simple stupid. I have found that works best when I fab stuff up.

Here are some firewood notes for you. Wood is heavy and you will likely max out payload before you max out space. You can generally fit 1/3 of a cord of wood neatly stacked in a midsize truck. That’s 1333lbs leaving just enough payload for a driver of the truck. Going to an 8ft bed would technically fit more wood, but you would likely be over the payload and really putting some stress on it.

“An average seasoned cord of hardwood weighs more than 2 tons!! Unstacked it will take up to 200 cubic feet in space. An 8 ft. pick up truck would have to pile the wood uniformly at 5 feet tall to fit an ustacked cord. The average pick up truck can only haul 1/2 a cord of firewood at a time.”

Sponsored