4 Wheel High rear locker... advantage?

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Thanks for stating, I've looked and asked in several places over the years about having LSD AND Locker... but it always turns into the "lockers are better" discussion and never says if it's actually possible.
Exactly, as we just witnessed...
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
The TJ Rubicons had both, a helical gear limited slip, and a selectable locker. The LSD is great for street driving in the winter or even just rain given the amount of body roll and weight shift. Off road I usually just lock the rear and leave it locked, it's easier on the axle.

I just sold my '11 Ford Raptor and one of my major gripes was the lack of any mechanical LSD with just a selectable locker. It was great when you locked it for high speed off road stuff but sucked for daily driving when you tried to get on it and put down 410 hp with what was essentially an open diff. It had the "e-diff" style traction control where it applies brake to the spinning tire but that's a half assed system that works moderately at best and robs power, in my opinion, and leaves you with nothing if you turn off traction control but don't want the axle fully locked. I assume the Gladiator will have the same style of traction management, but in my opinion it's not nearly as big a deal since it's not putting down nearly the power.

At least, that's my 2¢

I haven't worked on or driven any JL Wrangler yet, what do they have?

Goes to my point, thanks

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I can understand an electronic locker for the front but not rear. Why not have permanent LSD in the rear? I have an aftermarket TrueTrac in my JKU and it seriously is about the best mod I have ever done.
Because LSDs stop working when you get a tire off (or nearly off) the ground.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
It sounds like I'd prefer a proper mechanical LSD in the back and a locker up front + a winch on the bumper. I'll never take this truck into a major crawling scenario, but between front lockers, rear LSD or winching... seems like you'll likely never get stuck and I get the boost of LSD when driving in snow.

What I would give for the budget to let me just try all the situations with the different variations. (c:

MACHZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 RAM Rebel, 19 subaru forester
I have BLD in my 14 rubi and to be honest it sucks. My 08 sahara was much better in the snow with LSD so I hope being able to lock the rear it will be better in the snow here in NH.

Sponsored

Jeepin Weekend

First Name
Easton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 2 Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
The story is with at least two of us with JTR... there is no 4H-locked rear diff... Only 4L lockers... Neither is 4H lock... in the Manual...
If, anyone knows differently, via experience... please enlighten...
Thanks
From what I understand the offroad plus button above the sway bar disconnect button turns the rear locker on in 4H for offroading in sand and other high-speed stuff, though in the manual (p. 296) it says "if equipped", which I thought came standard on all JTRs.

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
The story is with at least two of us with JTR... there is no 4H-locked rear diff... Only 4L lockers... Neither is 4H lock... in the Manual...
If, anyone knows differently, via experience... please enlighten...
Thanks
Im thinking it is that "off road plus switch" which when your're in 4hi and depress it, it will lock your rear.

Pk2abilene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Cherokee
True true, the ECTED is the only one I know of as well. Its really disappointing cause I love the way my TJ drives. As for the TJ locker strength it's like everything else, just depends on how you wheel. I've been fine on heavy 37s and beadlocks for years but other sheer them on 33s. If I ever broke it I'd probably suck it up and go Ox or ARB.

Back the the OP's main question, an open diff can really cripple a truck in some circumstances, like trying to pull a trailer out of a wet lawn. When doing any sort of moderate offroading like slick hill climbs or boulders, the difference in capability the lockers provide is astounding. The ability to lock it in 2/4 hi would be great for sand or tossing it around gravel roads and desert trails but a lot of folks just rewire the switch to let them lock whichever axle whenever they want.

A mechanical LSD doesn't fully lock but gear based ones are awesome and would be enough for most people. Clutch based LSDs wear out. Traction control based LSD systems apply brake pressure individually to a spinning tire to create load, forcing the tire with more traction to spin.
The more I read these threads the more confused I get. There have been several. I’d like someone to delineate the systems available in the reddit style of “explain it like I’m 5”. Last real Jeep I had was a 74 C5 that just went everywhere I pointed it.

Pk2abilene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Cherokee
True true, the ECTED is the only one I know of as well. Its really disappointing cause I love the way my TJ drives. As for the TJ locker strength it's like everything else, just depends on how you wheel. I've been fine on heavy 37s and beadlocks for years but other sheer them on 33s. If I ever broke it I'd probably suck it up and go Ox or ARB.

Back the the OP's main question, an open diff can really cripple a truck in some circumstances, like trying to pull a trailer out of a wet lawn. When doing any sort of moderate offroading like slick hill climbs or boulders, the difference in capability the lockers provide is astounding. The ability to lock it in 2/4 hi would be great for sand or tossing it around gravel roads and desert trails but a lot of folks just rewire the switch to let them lock whichever axle whenever they want.

A mechanical LSD doesn't fully lock but gear based ones are awesome and would be enough for most people. Clutch based LSDs wear out. Traction control based LSD systems apply brake pressure individually to a spinning tire to create load, forcing the tire with more traction to spin.
The more I read these threads the less info I have. More confusing with every post what is available and what is best. Last real Jeep I had was a 74 CJ5 that went anywhere I pointed it. Any of you gurus want to break it down for the normal folk?

Pk2abilene

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Cherokee
The " Off Road Plus" switch... alters the calibration of the "powertrain" for sand when in 4H. It alters the calibration for rock crawling in 4L...

It does not lock the rear diff... in 4H... It never locks either of the diffs...

What was stated in Lite Brite's interview at the LA Auto Show, concerning the ability to lock the rear diff in 4H... is not a feature that currently exists...

Myself and another JTR owner can attest to this... All that happens when one attempts to lock the rear diff, in 4H... is a message stating... you need to be in 4L, to engage the lockers... This is the case even when engaging the Off Road Plus...

If you listen carefully, in the video... the Jeep Rep... explains, the Off Road Plus this way... He does not say it is what engages the 4H-rear lockers locked...

Though he does say that in 4H, the rear locker will be able to be locked... in the same conversation...

My guess is... that the 2021 model may have this feature... we do not...
Or maybe, it will be a software update, at some point... as it does not exist now...
Well stated!! An obvious attempt to be confusing makes as much sense as the rest of them.

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
I've yet to own a Jeep with lockers, front or rear, and don't fully get it. I don't do rock crawling and don't plan to. I like to drive in puddles, I like to drive over bumpy roads with ravines and things that make it hard to navigate... but not a lot more. My LSD in my JKU Sport has always been more than enough for my tasks (and nice in the wintery slickness) so I'm curious about lockers for a non-crawler. I presume the 4WH Rear Locker deal will be good for sand & mud? Why would YOU consider it so valuable in the Rubicon Gladiator?
Lockers are for times you want no slip at all, LSD for times when a little slip is ok. Are there times when LSC is superior to "Lockers"? Take it to the bank there are times when LSD leaves them behind. LSD generally shifts traction back and forth between wheels while lockers are just that its period! Both my John Deere tractors have rear lockers, my last 2 F 350's had lockers but my 2 before that has LSD's. To be honest I prefer the LSD's. LSD is EX on the axle set, lockers not so much. Because they are locked the tire cannot rotate at different speeds so going around a corner can be challenging and in some cases catastrophic.

Which one is best? That is not the question it's rather which one is best for any given application. Lockers and Moab go together like bourbon and ice. LSD will leave you wanting and left behind. Where the LSD shines is in disparate traction situations where the lateral uneven application of power works to your advantage. I have pulled people out with F/R lockers from goo-mud, super slick they could not move, but the guy with the LSD drove thru without issue.

In your case, you might benefit with a rear LSD and a front Locker, sounds like you would get more use from the LSD and the locker would be a final resort to extract yourself from a not so happy situation.
Sponsored