• Total voters

FrankInNordale

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I absolutely love the design! I don't really see any reason for FCA to hurt their bottom line and produce a vehicle that the masses don't particularly want.
Sponsored

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
It cracks me up, I went on a thread where they are talking about a 4 door and they scream for me to go to a thread where they are talking about two doors...

I come here and the same people that told me to go elsewhere are here whining about people that are talking about two doors.
HEY, This thread IS about 2 doors so stop being so butt hurt when we say we want a TWO DOOR!!!!
Go to the 4 door thread and give each other a reach ....never mind, I'm sure they will still whine.

Anyway, I voted for the extended Cab and a longer more useful bed.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
It cracks me up, I went on a thread where they are talking about a 4 door and they scream for me to go to a thread where they are talking about two doors...

I come here and the same people that told me to go elsewhere are here whining about people that are talking about two doors.
HEY, This thread IS about 2 doors so stop being so butt hurt when we say we want a TWO DOOR!!!!
Go to the 4 door thread and give each other a reach ....never mind, I'm sure they will still whine.

Anyway, I voted for the extended Cab and a longer more useful bed.
You misunderstand. I was just trying to give you some background as to why everybody is a bit snippy when it comes to 2 doors as of recent. This is a great thread to discuss 2 doors, like we're doing now. I think it'd be good if they came out with at least an ext. cab as I think there's a bit of a market there, but to say the 4 doors won't sell well is an incredibly ignorant statement based on the market today. The 4 door Jeep and Midsize market is the only reason the Gladiator is happening at all.

If you want a 2 door, cool! If you think the 4 doors won't sell well...yeah, you're blind.

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
You could be right, I didn't think CD's would replace cassettes when they came out either...I was wrong. (cost)
Time will tell quickly on this one but Jeep doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to selling trucks.
My question here is how well the 4 door will be accepted with a bed instead of inside storage by the ones that actually drive the kids and get the groceries. Let's look at that right after the 1st rain or snow hits and agree to disagree while we watch and see.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
I’m curious what will be considered a success for the Gladiator. Would 40,000 a year be a success?

It’s a catch-22 for 2-door fans. For them to even consider a 2-door some time down the line they need to have a hit with the 4-door. But if the 4-door is a hit, then why do they need a 2-door?

Sponsored

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I’m curious what will be considered a success for the Gladiator. Would 40,000 a year be a success?

It’s a catch-22 for 2-door fans. For them to even consider a 2-door some time down the line they need to have a hit with the 4-door. But if the 4-door is a hit, then why do they need a 2-door?

I believe their stated target is 100k units a year. If they hit that and maintain it, and then see a potential for an untapped market that warrants an ext cab or 2 door, then that's when I imagine you'd see them become available. It's entirely possible. Just as the market has mainly shifted to four doors currently, that doesn't mean it couldn't eventually shift again. We'll see I guess.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe their stated target is 100k units a year. If they hit that and maintain it, and then see a potential for an untapped market that warrants an ext cab or 2 door, then that's when I imagine you'd see them become available. It's entirely possible. Just as the market has mainly shifted to four doors currently, that doesn't mean it couldn't eventually shift again. We'll see I guess.
A little off-topic but does anyone have a source for that 100k number? I haven't seen it.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata

Sponsored

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4

I think it comes down to how much Jeep stays with this "lifestyle truck" theme. It is clear the JT has been designed to try and be all things to all buyers - four doors - with a truck bed - four wheel drive - off road capability - good tow numbers - good payload numbers - convertible cab (very cool in my opinion - could be its best attribute). But that said, I don't think an extended cab offering with a longer, more conventional and useful bed is too much of a stretch. With this chassis and wheelbase it would be very easy to have a second configuration that exchanges cab space for bed space all within the same wheelbase and on the same chassis. For people like me with lifestyle needs that warrant more bed space I think an extended cab's sales numbers would certainly mean a profit in lieu of the investment needed to develop an alternate cab. It's going to come down to how much they're dedicated to this lifestyle truck theme and having a truck that tries to be all things to all buyers.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it comes down to how much Jeep stays with this "lifestyle truck" theme. It is clear the JT has been designed to try and be all things to all buyers - four doors - with a truck bed - four wheel drive - off road capability - good tow numbers - good payload numbers - convertible cab (very cool in my opinion - could be its best attribute). But that said, I don't think an extended cab offering with a longer, more conventional and useful bed is too much of a stretch. With this chassis and wheelbase it would be very easy to have a second configuration that exchanges cab space for bed space all within the same wheelbase and on the same chassis. For people like me with lifestyle needs that warrant more bed space I think an extended cab's sales numbers would certainly mean a profit in lieu of the investment needed to develop an alternate cab. It's going to come down to how much they're dedicated to this lifestyle truck theme and having a truck that tries to be all things to all buyers.
I definitely don't think they are trying to be all things to all buyers. They have a whole other brand (RAM) to do that.

This is more like if Toyota only sold TRD Pro Tacomas or GM only sold ZR2 Canyon/Colorados. Those brands hit every configuration because they are built on top of the platform of the base truck.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
I think an extended cab's sales numbers would certainly mean a profit in lieu of the investment needed to develop an alternate cab.
How so? as of now, you cannot buy a Ram 1500 with an extended cab, only quad and crew.
upload_2018-12-5_14-46-42.png

So if RAM says on their highest profit vehicle, it aint worth it, how can less volume equal more profit at a cheaper selling price? (logically it would have to be priced lower because you know... less doors and junk). Having worked on a truck program, bread and butter is crew cab, short bed 4WD.

But for a good CONVERSATION, I will pull a "if they did".
My guess would be an adaptation of the 2 door JL body, new stamping for the floor behind the driver seat to keep cost down, new stamping from the B pillar back. probably use the sheet metal from JT to ditch the swing gate. and mount it on the JLU frame to keep the proportions in shape, maybe with a 6ft bed? over 7 with the gate down. I think if you drop it on the JT frame you will end up with like an 8 foot bed and would look extremely goofy.

This would be my guess, but there is tons of testing a development that goes into different variants, its not as simple as just swapping cabs. just in vehicle dynamics there will be at least two years worth of tuning and work for maybe 8,000 a year? 12,000 max?

As someone said before somewhere on here, I hope everyone gets the Jeep truck they want. At this point it just looks like people who want a two door will have to get one aftermarket. Maybe mopar will make a kit like they did for the JK. Maybe AEV will make a conversion (it is AEV-Conversions after all). I just wouldn't hold your breath on one coming from Toledo.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I have been following the development of a modern, up-to-date Jeep pickup since the Gladiator concept rolled out on to the car show stage in 2005. The Gladiator was a 2 door extended cab and looked great and that truck served as the catalyst for what will FINALLY be available in showrooms next year - some 14 years later. I wrote Jeep in support of producing the Gladiator and they wrote me back asking for my opinion as to configuration ideas. Now as the day of production nears all I see are spy shots of a crew cab. UGH!!!

Do you feel as I do that a two door or two door extended cab should also be part of the production lineup? Let's send a message to Jeep that we love the forthcoming Gladiator but not just a crew cab but a two door or two door extended cab too!
2005-jeep-gladiator-9.jpg

not sure if this was posted yet, but minute 15, he basically squashes the 2 door possibility. Never say never, but......
Sponsored