Sponsored

Official Press Release: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Specs & Photos

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Perhaps a poll to canvass a two door/access cab with a 6.5 bed for 2022 would be warranted to see how many folks would actually be interested in purchasing that vehicle. Also quite a few people seem happy with the new turbo 4 in the JL, maybe a poll for that for 2022 also. If priced right, the JT can push Tacoma for sales leader. Lots of unhappy Tacoma owners (shifting, drivetrain, no front seat adjustment, and no rear leg room).
Jeep said they had trouble with cooling on the 2.0T in the truck, especially with any kinda of towing.
Sponsored

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
Just to be clear, I don't drive a work truck and I look at this a pure Play Toy.
A toy to haul toys and play on the rocks.
As is, it is too short to haul a Grizzly 700 (with winch and bars almost 7' long) or even a M/C or two way up into the mountains and play. Being that you would have to leave the tailgate down and risk bending/dragging it with a bike in the bed.
It may have a straight front axle but this is being built for the Mall. and as a grocery getter.
The only reason I even posted was just incase these threads are read by Fiat and they are keeping track.
Not to butt hurt anyone little feelings.

If you like this truck, buy it.
It is not useful to me is my point, where else does it make sense to post your thoughts other than in an "Official Press Release"
and hope that Fiat takes notice.

For those of you that Got so "Butt Hurt" that I didn't want a 4 door and that I think it's an ugly truck I'm sorry.
I can only think that you are the same people that are so upset that HRC was beat in 2016 too.
Enjoy your new truck.

Just to add, I see this with a 3-4" lift, ARB Lockers, ARB Twin, Beadlocks and 40"s, but in a two door.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Ugly and useless as a truck.
They should have come out with a two door extended cab and a longer bed.
Make the bed long and wide enough for a sheet of plywood.
Would be nice if you could open up the back like an Avalanche to get an 8' piece in the bed and close the gate.

Oh, and the Diesel
If you want a "lifestyle vehicle" that will haul your Grizzly then who cares if it will carry a 4x8 sheet of plywood? As for being butt hurt your the one who has decided to change your argument and hurl insults at those who disagreed with your opinion. Sounds like a blue stater to me.

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
Since you asked, Grizzly's are 48" wide and 7 1/2' long, much like sheets of plywood.
And when you have an off grid Cabin, it comes in handy to be able to haul a sheet of plywood and such.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Since you asked, Grizzly's are 48" wide and 7 1/2' long, much like sheets of plywood.
And when you have an off grid Cabin, it comes in handy to be able to haul a sheet of plywood and such.
I see a very simple solution to the problem. Make a extension that would overhang the tailgate.

I would make mine from aluminum. It would run the length of the bed so that the front tires would help hold it in place. It need only to extend a few inches past the rear wheels. The side walls need not to be but a few inches high. If need be I would run a support bracket from the hitch receiver or just block up the rear end in the bed to relieve some of the weight on the overhang while transporting.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
Jeep said they had trouble with cooling on the 2.0T in the truck, especially with any kinda of towing.
Source? Not a challenge, just considering the 2.0 and would like to know more about this issue.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
I see a very simple solution to the problem. Make a extension that would overhang the tailgate.

I would make mine from aluminum. It would run the length of the bed so that the front tires would help hold it in place. It need only to extend a few inches past the rear wheels. The side walls need not to be but a few inches high. If need be I would run a support bracket from the hitch receiver or just block up the rear end in the bed to relieve some of the weight on the overhang while transporting.
A much easier solution: put the Grizzly on a trailer (like most people do) and use that 7600lb towing capacity, leaving the bed free for beer and food on the way out, and elk and deer on the way back.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Source? Not a challenge, just considering the 2.0 and would like to know more about this issue.
Honestly I don’t remember which one but it was one of the video interviews. I think it was with TFL talking to Mark Allen. Same one where he explains a hemi will fit, but won’t leave enough room for crumple zone to absorbe front end impacts.

Sponsored

audibahn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT, 2013 JKUR
Honestly I don’t remember which one but it was one of the video interviews. I think it was with TFL talking to Mark Allen. Same one where he explains a hemi will fit, but won’t leave enough room for crumple zone to absorbe front end impacts.
I read the same here. Both the diesel and 2.0T have charge air coolers that reduce the effective cooling area. Last paragraph has more details.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Just to be clear, I don't drive a work truck and I look at this a pure Play Toy.
A toy to haul toys and play on the rocks.
As is, it is too short to haul a Grizzly 700 (with winch and bars almost 7' long) or even a M/C or two way up into the mountains and play. Being that you would have to leave the tailgate down and risk bending/dragging it with a bike in the bed.
It may have a straight front axle but this is being built for the Mall. and as a grocery getter.
The only reason I even posted was just incase these threads are read by Fiat and they are keeping track.
Not to butt hurt anyone little feelings.

If you like this truck, buy it.
It is not useful to me is my point, where else does it make sense to post your thoughts other than in an "Official Press Release"
and hope that Fiat takes notice.

For those of you that Got so "Butt Hurt" that I didn't want a 4 door and that I think it's an ugly truck I'm sorry.
I can only think that you are the same people that are so upset that HRC was beat in 2016 too.
Enjoy your new truck.

Just to add, I see this with a 3-4" lift, ARB Lockers, ARB Twin, Beadlocks and 40"s, but in a two door.
OK, I fully agree that everyone has their opinion on this truck and that is fine. Heck, I myself have even had forum members take stabs at me for my opinions on the JL. But... some of this stuff you're saying is just dead wrong.

First of all, a couple of years ago I had a 2013 Nissan Frontier with the 5' box. I was able to successfully carry a Polaris 570 4x4 in the bed WITH the aluminum ramps. Why the hell do you think the Gladiator won't be able to do the same with a bed the same size or larger and more payload? And, there is no midsize truck on the market that will haul a 7' long machine with the tailgate closed. So if that is your huge gripe, it sounds like you should be looking at full size trucks.

Second, to call this truck "built for the mall" is ridiculous. It's the ONLY midsize truck in the U.S. with a Dana 44 AdvanTek axle front and rear, lockers front and rear, steel bumpers, a 4:1 transfer case, and 33" mud terrain tires...all from the factory. Nobody else has that. There isn't another midsize truck on sale in America that will follow the Gladiator on a difficult trail system in the middle of nowhere. Period. That isn't up for debate.

If you think the Gladiator is ugly, that's subjective and that's fine. I agree with you that it's not the most beautiful truck on the market. But as far as being "useless" goes, that's bulls*it. 1,600 lbs. payload, nearly 4 tons of towing, lockable interior storage, a 5' box (6' with the tailgate down and the optional bed extender), and your choice of two removable tops is far from being "useless". These things are going to sell like hotcakes. They literally won't be able to build them fast enough.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I read the same here. Both the diesel and 2.0T have charge air coolers that reduce the effective cooling area. Last paragraph has more details.
In that same vein, I saw another statement in a video saying that's why a Hemi won't happen. Specifically, the Hemi takes up too much room so there is no airflow around it. So it looks like we get the 2 engine options that we get, love it or leave it.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
In that same vein, I saw another statement in a video saying that's why a Hemi won't happen. Specifically, the Hemi takes up too much room so there is no airflow around it. So it looks like we get the 2 engine options that we get, love it or leave it.

I think the other larger issue is the Hemi has a bad tendency to pop into the passenger compartment to say hello during frontal collisions.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I think the other larger issue is the Hemi has a bad tendency to pop into the passenger compartment to say hello during frontal collisions.
I can't speak for everyone, but for me... that seems undesirable.
Sponsored