Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I test drove a 2018 TRD Offroad before getting my JL Wrangler, and I didn't like it. The interior was SMALL, especially in the second row. And that engine was awful. It surged a lot and did not provide smooth power. The rear drum brakes were also a turnoff.
Sponsored

dylanmitchell

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cherokee Classic, 2006 LX470 the 100 series Land Crusier
You can smaller, larger, or heavily modified but won't match what the JT offer. That's the magic that make it so hard to think of a competitor. If you can live with its tow and payload ratings and want something that can go offroading and rock crawling there's basically nothing in the US that compares. If you have a heavy trailer, need a larger bed, or a cushy ride for the commute you give up capability vs one of the best factory 4x4's made. Really nothing that's not heavily modified is 20 or 30 years old imported under the 25-year rule like the Defender pick-up or something bigger like a Powerwagon or Raptor. JT's bigger than a JL but it's not super wide and should be pretty trail capable vs a 747 width Powerwagon.

There's really nothing like the JT Gladiator truck available in the U.S. You have the compact Colorado ZR2 AEV Bison, the half-ton Raptor desert runner that can go rock climbing and off-roading, and maybes the closest a Powerwagon a sorta supersized alternative to a JT, if it fits it can conquer it but it's a wide beast. I really think the 4runner Pro with some mods would get the closest to the JT but it's not a pickup. Actually what reminds me most of the JT is the Landcruiser 79 they've built for decades but you can't get here. A double cab 79 cruiser would do things similar to the JT but maybe a little more cargo hauling vs Rubicon trail oriented and it's pretty outdated plus there's that weird track thing with the from and rear track not matching thing but it's an easy fix. You wouldn't think of the 79 and Jeep in the same role but that 79 is very capable, has practically the same tow rating (79 is 7,700 lb or 3,500 kg), it will hold about 2,200 pounds or 1,100 kg payload, something around 22 mpg converted from km/l ratings, but it has that big torquey V8 diesel 151kW 430Nm@1200 something like 200 hp or more and 300 lb-ft or more.

Few countries left where you can buy or import one and US in not one of them.

https://www.toyota-gib.com/eng/mode...iser-79-double-cabin-pick-up-HZJ79-DKMRS.html

JK8 never made it to the US other than a few test vehicles when they were talking about selling them here.

https://www.aads-gib.com/

And because a top speed of 60 mph downhill with a tailwind is really really fun when traffic doing 80 mph. Se also Pinzgauer.

https://www.planbsupply.com/bobbed-deuces-2-and-a-half-ton-trucks

hzj79-dkmrs-C3.jpg

hzj79-dkmrs-C2.jpg

hzj79-dkmrs-C1.jpg

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Well, I decided to keep my current car and finish paying off the loan. FInancially, it makes the most sense for my family in our current situation. Once it is paid off in roughly two years I will jump into a Jeep and keep it for a fun weekend ride. Being as the monthly payment is so cheap I am just going to make double payments and get it done quicker. I figure doing that will be roughly what a JT will cost a month so ill already be doing it when the time for the Jeep comes.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Well, I decided to keep my current car and finish paying off the loan. FInancially, it makes the most sense for my family in our current situation. Once it is paid off in roughly two years I will jump into a Jeep and keep it for a fun weekend ride. Being as the monthly payment is so cheap I am just going to make double payments and get it done quicker. I figure doing that will be roughly what a JT will cost a month so ill already be doing it when the time for the Jeep comes.
This is a great thread. Keep with it!

Casique

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HA Gladiator, 2011 FLHX, 2022 MDX
I'm in no hurry to buy! I'm buying in December, either a Gladiator or F-150. It all depends how I like the Gladiator in person, and test drive.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Two of us. My first Sahara was a choice between van. Cool it ain't, so went with "need a jeep to escape Armageddon, find van after". Lol. The other thing is tow your house with a Jeep or tow your Jeep with house. Haven't decided on that yet.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Two of us. My first Sahara was a choice between van. Cool it ain't, so went with "need a jeep to escape Armageddon, find van after". Lol. The other thing is tow your house with a Jeep or tow your Jeep with house. Haven't decided on that yet.
Yea I think I would go smallest size with low roof and then do the pop up roof conversion that changes the top into a full blow tent similar to this:

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 8.48.13 AM.png

Just not sure if it would be a PIA to drive daily still.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yea I think I would go smallest size with low roof and then do the pop up roof conversion that changes the top into a full blow tent similar to this:

With 4X4. I never found the perfect one, still looking. Don't want to be a creeper, want to be a Jeeper! Lol

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician

If I were going to do a overland van like that I would get a cheap beater like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla as a daily and just use the van for overlanding and other outdoor activities.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If I were going to do a overland van like that I would get a cheap beater like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla as a daily and just use the van for overlanding and other outdoor activities.
I work out of a home office, and drove my fathers old E350 Econoline for a while in my 20s so I'm use to driving a Van. I'm more worried about it not fitting in the garage or the wife not wanting to drive it because its too big (but she wont drive my Jeep any way as the lose steering and terrible road feel from SFA makes her nervous)

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Get a boogie van

Ah . . . wannabe memories of the mid-70's (well for me) . . . my "boogie van" - the Yellow Dodge (of course) & me at 26.
Ah to be young and foolish again . . . . . . ?

P1000386.JPG