Are you going to wait for the diesel?

• Total voters

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
I'm saving 12-14 K for the down payment for a JT. If the diesel is out by the time I save the money I will definitely getting it. But if it is not out I'm buying a pentastar.
Sponsored

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
I would love a 6sp with a diesel but to be honest even if they made one i wouldnt get it. I owned a diesel VW from 2006-2013 and it was awesome but after 2007 diesel engines took a turn for the worst due to the EPA, VW got in trouble for giving their customers more power and fuel efficiency at the cost of added emissions. Basically any diesel made after ULSD became mandatory ~2007 produces less power and gets less MPGs due to EPA garbage. Not sure if the jeep will require DEF but if it does thats another added headache. There is of course the option to remove the EGR and retune the engine but then not only do you void the warranty but its also no longer street legal and then your dumping a ton of money into a brand nrw truck just to make it run like it should. Until the EPA loosens its strangle hold on diesels i wouldnt bother.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
There is a current lawsuit banning the sale of FCA's ecodeisel due to emmisions.. i'm surprised they even mentioned it will be offered.... maybe they are being optimistic.
Not anymore. My neighbor just bought a 2018 ecodiesel Grand Cherokee .

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
whatever the wait is for you guys im guessing itll be x2 for us down here

Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
VW got in trouble for giving their customers more power and fuel efficiency at the cost of added emissions.
Fractionally more emissions... sometimes.

That point shouldn't be ignored. From the reporting and government story, one might assume that these VWs are spewing pollution.

In reality they were emitting slightly more in certain situations.

And given that the "fixed" 2015 and 2016 Jettas are rated 29/37, the irony is that the "cheating" cars were likely emitting less overall (originally rated 30/44), despite emitting more on a percentage and/or per mile basis.

Of course if TPTB wre actually worried about emissions and fuel economy, they would be encouraging diesels, especially for light trucks.

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
Fractionally more emissions... sometimes.

That point shouldn't be ignored. From the reporting and government story, one might assume that these VWs are spewing pollution.

In reality they were emitting slightly more in certain situations.

And given that the "fixed" 2015 and 2016 Jettas are rated 29/37, the irony is that the "cheating" cars were likely emitting less overall (originally rated 30/44), despite emitting more on a percentage and/or per mile basis.

Of course if TPTB wre actually worried about emissions and fuel economy, they would be encouraging diesels, especially for light trucks.
Trust me I agree with you, i had a 2006 TDI before all the EPA garbage and I regularly saw 45mpg, and my highest was 51mpg. My point was that diesel engines now see less power and less mpg due to the EPA, the fact that VW even got in trouble was completely political and ridiculous. I would love to have another diesel but until the EPA is is disbanded and shown out to be the gigantic farse that it is diesel engine will just be a complete waste of money. There is a reason owner operator tractor trailer drivers buy rolling chassis and install older engines, the new engines are terrible and build up tons of soot, its been proven that the EGR on new diesels will build up so much soot that the cost isnt worth it. Before you bought a diesel because it would easily last 3 times as long as a gasoline engine but now its just not the case due to EPA restrictions. If you plan to wait to buy a diesel please just do some research over on the dodge Cummings forum, its totally not worth it unless you plan to do some serious engine mods or else your "eco" diesel will be dead do to soot long before the pentastar.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Sorry, my post was merely intended to support your point.

I'm doubtful that a Gladiator is in my near future, v6 or diesel. But at this point I couldn't justify the diesel on economic grounds anyway.

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I know I don't need the power of the diesel (won't be towing/hauling much). I am mostly hoping the diesel economy is a similar increase to what it was in the ram (27mpg vs 23mpg).

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
I'm all in on the Diesel..
My 2010 Jetta Sportwagon would get 42 running 81mph and get as high as 57 mpg running 55 and under when running on cruise.
I retired and got my 2014 Rubi X and now I never miss a gas station while getting 8-9mpg highway.

Sponsored

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
My only hesitation with the EcoDiesel is reliability...I know there were plenty of issues initially with them, any body know how they've been fairing in the more recent models?

Plus the ones in the JT will be a whole new generation...so old issues fixed, but potentially all new ones. We'll see I guess.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be waiting for the diesel for a couple of reasons. My current JKUR was built for crawling and over the last couple of years my interests and desires have shifted to the overland arena. While the better fuel economy of the diesel is pretty much a wash with the up charged costs, the range on a single tank is a big plus for overlanding trips. The turbo diesel is also a big plus when pulling a trailer out here in Colorado. I plan on getting an off road trailer for those overland trips and the wife has 2 horse (but no trailer yet as the JKUR can't pull it). This past spring I pulled a CJ tub off road trailer behind the JKUR and it was not fun pulling any passes. It also gives me 1~2 years to acclimate the wife to that fact that it's going to happen. lol

CDJeeps25

First Name
Conner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep WJ, 2007 Jeep WK CRD, 2018 Jeep WK2 EcoDiesel.
I hope the diesel does not use the Capless systems they have on the new Grand Cherokee's. Its pukes diesel every time I try to fill the Jeep. Could be user error, but it's not my favorite feature of the Jeep.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
This pretty much sums it up for me! And that wasn’t the largest gap I saw tonight. At one station gas was $1.99 and diesel was $3.09.

D7C39CE2-A95D-4F92-8603-AD4CF9D86CC6.jpeg