Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
This might be a "Trail Tech & Tips" thread or I don't know. I'd love to start seeing some plans for those that plan to make their Gladiator into a home on wheels. This might mean setting it up to tow, it might mean setting it up to live out of, or might just mean making it something worthy of longer trips. I'm trying to work out the benefits and flaws to decide what will need an aftermarket modification.

My plans are to tow a high-walled popup that sits at 3500 lbs empty, my '14 JKU does fine pulling it but I'll feel better with the towing additions of the Gladiator. That's for longer trips which will contain the whole family. I would still like to build a bed tray system for my basic needs and put a light weight camper (gofastcamper) on top that lets me do weekend excursions as well. I am irritated that a couple of nice long distance options are only available in the Rubicon. I have kids, I want plugs and chargers aplenty in the backseat and that's not an option in the Sport S.

Anyone overlanding in their current vehicle? What do you plan to move over to the Gladiator?
Sponsored

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
Gladiator will be the vehicle I use to get into overlanding. I'd like to set it up with a nice bed rack, maybe the decked drawer system as well. I've got an M416 trailer I'm planning on fixing up as a base camp with mounts for an RTT eventually.

jeepinjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
I plan on setting mine up for overlanding. I will likely do a slide out cargo tray with the tonneau cover. I also would like to do a cargo rack over the bed.

For mechanicals I will likely do AEV bumpers all around and snorkel. It will take some use to decide if I want to do a lift and 37” or 40” tires. Ideally 37” tires would be more than enough, but with the longer size compared to my JK on 37”tiresa 40” might be the better route.

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I was overlanding in my JKU Rubicon before it was totalled a few months ago.

My plan is a JT Rubicon with a bedrack and tent. And doing a bed drawer setup.

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I won't fall into the Overlander category although I do find myself infatuated with the idea of long distance vehicle based adventure and really wish I could do something like those guys and gals do. We used to do this years ago and just referred to it as car camping but it doesn't have the same adventure inspiring name that Overlanding does. I will certainly have some Overland inspired goodies on my Gladiator, specifically a bed rack and RTT but more out of necessity than anything. My hope is to get my two toddlers excited about camping and get my family to go out into the woods comfortably and a RTT seems to be the best (somewhat cost effective) choice to accomplish that. We have done plenty of tent and car camping over the years and the RTT can serve as a sort of tree house for the kids to make it really fun and memorable. In a perfect world I would have a Flippac or AluCab on the Gladiator but my pockets are far too shallow for that given the potential cost of the Jeep in the first place.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Byebyetaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I plan on cargo drawer system in the rear, fridge and some sort of rack over the bed for a RTT. I’m sure within months of this being released the accesories will come flooding in. As far as tires go I’ll run 37’s. As well as a supercharger once they get the programming figured out for computer. I’ve had 3 jeeps in the past, currently have a 3rd gen tacoma ( hate it). I lay in bed at night dreaming of my new gladiator.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I lay in bed at night dreaming of my new gladiator.
LOL at that, I have to shut down the obsessing by bedtime, but I do spend too much time thinking about when it will arrive.

I really like the GoFastCamper system with clamshell tent, but as you said, aftermarket goodies will be popping up steadily after it launches and I fear putting the $500 non-refundable deposit on a GoFast knowing that it'll be a year before it's built and there will probably be something better. (Better because it currently has no way to passthrough from cab to camper.)

Phantom

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 TJ, 97 Ram Cummins, 13 Rally Fighter
Occupation
Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Intention: take my family on The Bucket List vacations I've saved for the continental US.

I've traveled overseas a lot in my life but there's so many places that I want to see you in America, Zion, Moab, Havasu Falls, Grand Canyon, Etc. I saved those because I know traveling to those will be easier with kids in tow than traveling to Ecuador. Hopefully it'll be a good way to spark a desire for off-roading and Shadetree mechanicing in my kids

BodhiMac

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
I plan on using mine like my Taco. Weekend trips camping, fishing and hiking. Have a barebones overland setup, one day I’ll have a small pull behind teardrop like a Hiker Trailer.

9DC7E809-B905-4B64-BB23-6A1340C6C963.jpeg

9B8DEE80-2D1C-47CA-B2E2-234B66EDE9A2.jpeg

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm feeling better that I'm not alone in my modest aspirations.

Sponsored

nuartyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV TJ Brute, 06 LJ
My plans would include (not in order):

* on board air
* dual battery setup w/ HD alternator
* communications equipment to include HF mobile
* front and rear winches
* armor upgrades
* moving that spare tire location
* lift / axle upgrades to fit 40" tires (gotta do something about that breakover angle!)

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I won't fall into the Overlander category although I do find myself infatuated with the idea of long distance vehicle based adventure and really wish I could do something like those guys and gals do. We used to do this years ago and just referred to it as car camping but it doesn't have the same adventure inspiring name that Overlanding does. I will certainly have some Overland inspired goodies on my Gladiator, specifically a bed rack and RTT but more out of necessity than anything. My hope is to get my two toddlers excited about camping and get my family to go out into the woods comfortably and a RTT seems to be the best (somewhat cost effective) choice to accomplish that. We have done plenty of tent and car camping over the years and the RTT can serve as a sort of tree house for the kids to make it really fun and memorable. In a perfect world I would have a Flippac or AluCab on the Gladiator but my pockets are far too shallow for that given the potential cost of the Jeep in the first place.
I'm in the same boat. I decided this year that I'm over Backpacking, between my knee getting jacked up, and hiking distances with big elevation gains and 40lbs on your back I have come to the realization I don't love it. I would much rather car camp and then use that a base for day hikes. Add in the fact I can't get my wife to go camping with me unless it's at a campground with a toilet the Overlanding set up is a good compromise. Also here in Idaho in the summers, there are a lot of Fire Roads that can get you deep into the mountains or even on top of some the ski resorts, which open up endless possibilities for getting that same feeling of backpacking without the long slow trek to get there.

As for my plans for the truck it would be:

AEV Front & Rear Bumpers
Smallest Lift I Can Put On For 37s (most likely 2" based on the JL)
37" BFG KO2 on AEV or Method Wheels
Warn Winch
Onboard Air (For Tire Filling, and Cleaning Camp Dishes)
Bed Rack With Removable Cross Bars For Roof Top Tent
Roof Top Tent (hopefully hardshell, but will be based on budget at time of purchase)
Hard Rolling Tonneau Cover - keep the bed locked and dry
Spray In Bed Liner
ARB Fridge (Removeable Mount In The Bed)
ARB Awning

And then I'll probably build a custom wood box that will go in the back for a Kitchen set up.

The truck is my do everything daily driver so I want to be able to remove gear when its not needed, but still be able to equip it as needed.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
LOL at that, I have to shut down the obsessing by bedtime, but I do spend too much time thinking about when it will arrive.

I really like the GoFastCamper system with clamshell tent, but as you said, aftermarket goodies will be popping up steadily after it launches and I fear putting the $500 non-refundable deposit on a GoFast knowing that it'll be a year before it's built and there will probably be something better. (Better because it currently has no way to passthrough from cab to camper.)
I like the Go Fast Camper systems, but visually I think they leave a lot to be desired. I would love to see a company offer one but with the fit of a snug top when it front is formed up against the cab.

Also my only other issue with a topper is that you limit the height of stuff you can load in the bed. You can no longer throw a lawn mower in there standing up.

OP
OP
eternus

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I know I'm going to want 37s at some point on this thing, it'll just look amazing, but based on what I paid for 33" Duratracs... those 37s or even 35s are a hard sell. Maybe once I wear out the first set of tires I'll consider it. A lot of @Vegas_Sirk has planned falls in line... with the new Boron Steel stuff that AEV used for the JL bumpers & plates, I'll try to go that route when I can afford it. I love their Salta wheels so also those.

For the bed, my ideal would be on of those cab-over racks like a lot of work trucks have, but sturdy enough for a platform up top, then have removable aluminum panels I could put in, akin to the GoFast. Sometimes I want it naked (its a Jeep!) and sometimes I want it covered... but on long trips, it's a dog house first. I might have to design my own thing. *shrug*

Why don't companies make EXACTLY what *I* want or need?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
For the bed, my ideal would be on of those cab-over racks like a lot of work trucks have, but sturdy enough for a platform up top, then have removable aluminum panels I could put in, akin to the GoFast. Sometimes I want it naked (its a Jeep!) and sometimes I want it covered... but on long trips, it's a dog house first. I might have to design my own thing. *shrug*

Why don't companies make EXACTLY what *I* want or need?
Thats a cool idea. Like a sports bar with removable top similar to the Wranglers cab.
Sponsored