Power door lock and lock on tailgate

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I wonder if the tailgate gets unlocked when a driver hits the door unlock button. This would not be a good thing if a thief breaks into a rag top version and then just hits the power unlock.

Am hoping that the 3 piece hard top tonneau cover has a lock to it. But it would be a quick entry into a locked bed if a thief just had to cut into a rag top and then hit the door unlock button to then gain easy entry to a locked bed by just opening the now unlocked tailgate.

From the pictures Jeep posted with their intro you can clearly see a key hole just beside the tailgate handle and just below the center brake light.

Does anyone know if the tailgate lock is tied into the door power lock/unlock switch? Hopefully it requires that a key be used to unlock the tailgate. Anyone know details about this?
Sponsored

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Dose it really matter? I don't mean to be dismissive but if some dirt bag is cutting your top to get into your truck what is to stop them from just prying open the tonneau cover too? Unless the cover is solid steel, and I assume that it will probably be ABS or fiberglass or whatever the hard top is made of at best, then it really will not take much effort to get into, locked tail gate or not. As I have seen posted many times - locks are for honest people. Dirt bags breaking into cars don't care about your stuff and will tear up whatever they need to to get to what they want.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I think I remember reading that it was tied into the door lock/unlock. But that was a while back...so dunno.

Mixed with a tonneau it would at least stop someone casually grabbing something out of the back of your truck and walking off. Won't stop a more determined thief, but it may make them move to the next vehicle.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
So very true. I would just like to know if Jeep makes it super easy for thieves to unlock a tailgate or if they give us a little extra security.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Side note: many Jeepers don’t lock doors with a soft top on. I don’t want to give bad advice so think it over and do whatever you feel is best for you. I personally have 2 rules, nothing of value in the Jeep and unlocked doors with a soft top. That way A$$hats can look around and maybe won’t hack up my top to do so.

I have mixed feelings on this policy and have gone back and forth over the years. What does everyone else think?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I totally agree with you 100% Homerun. If I do get a rag top then I would never try to lock the cab of the truck. That way no one would have to cut the rag top open in order to get into the car. And I would leave nothing at all to steal in the cab of the truck.

I would leave valuables or luggage or anything else that needed to be locked up stored in the bed of the truck stored under a 3 piece folding locked tonneau cover. And if the power door unlock button on the door of the truck unlocked the tailgate then I would never go for a rag top, would have to go with a hard top version.

Don’t know how others feel about this but I would like to think that Jeep would plan in at least a minimum amount of security for rag top buyers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Oh and FYI there is no tailgate lock on the Honda Ridgeline. Sure the trunk in the bed area can be locked but not the tailgate itself. So it does no good to put a locking tonneau cover on the Ridgeline.

For now I gotta give a little credit to Jeep as they do have lock on the tailgate. Fifty million dollar question remains: Does it work independently from the side door locking system?

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Oh and FYI there is no tailgate lock on the Honda Ridgeline. Sure the trunk in the bed area can be locked but not the tailgate itself. So it does no good to put a locking tonneau cover on the Ridgeline.

For now I gotta give a little credit to Jeep as they do have lock on the tailgate. Fifty million dollar question remains: Does it work independently from the side door locking system?

If it doesn’t work independently I bet it would not be to hard to disconnect the electric portion of the lock in the tailgate. I bet the fuse would have all power locks on it so pull a fuse probably isn’t the best way to go but I still think you could disable the tailgate only.

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Great suggestion. Time will tell. I would wait until I see one on a dealers lot and test out the power locks to know for certain before I decide on a rag top versus a hard top.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dual top for me, that way my ride gets a whole new personality every Oct and then again in March.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I wonder if the tailgate gets unlocked when a driver hits the door unlock button. This would not be a good thing if a thief breaks into a rag top version and then just hits the power unlock.

Am hoping that the 3 piece hard top tonneau cover has a lock to it. But it would be a quick entry into a locked bed if a thief just had to cut into a rag top and then hit the door unlock button to then gain easy entry to a locked bed by just opening the now unlocked tailgate.

From the pictures Jeep posted with their intro you can clearly see a key hole just beside the tailgate handle and just below the center brake light.

Does anyone know if the tailgate lock is tied into the door power lock/unlock switch? Hopefully it requires that a key be used to unlock the tailgate. Anyone know details about this?

In every single vehicle I've owned in the past 20 years, including my jk, unlocking the doors from the inside *after* you get out and lock them from the outside triggers the alarm. It's a basic security feature.

If it's still a concern, just leave your doors off.

Last edited:

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

You are right the Ridgeline dose not have a locking tailgate but mine has an easily installed aftermarket power lock and a locking steel tonneau cover. Honda has recently released a tailgate lock for the Ridgeline so it will probably come on the truck sooner than later.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I think I remember reading that it was tied into the door lock/unlock. But that was a while back...so dunno.

Mixed with a tonneau it would at least stop someone casually grabbing something out of the back of your truck and walking off. Won't stop a more determined thief, but it may make them move to the next vehicle.
locks are just to keep honest people honest (whether for your car or house, or shed), dirt bags will find a way if they think you've got something of value.

Wonder what the jeep security system specifics are. That would be great to arm an alarm but leave the doors unlocked. Can't imagine a casual thief opening a door, alarm sounds and they stick around for very long. (I doubt the JT or many vehicles have this capability, but i could be wrong)

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I have seen a few pictures of the doors from the inside and I can see a power door lock and unlock button on the front two doors. And I looked all over at all of the other shown inside buttons and switches and did not see a singular button that would lock or unlock just the tailgate. And I have seen a write up of all of the features of the truck. And there it was mentioned that it was a power locking tailgate. So if you take off the doors then how would you lock and unlock the tailgate with some “power” button? Makes me think that perhaps you can only lock and unlock the tailgate with a key fob.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I have seen a few pictures of the doors from the inside and I can see a power door lock and unlock button on the front two doors. And I looked all over at all of the other shown inside buttons and switches and did not see a singular button that would lock or unlock just the tailgate. And I have seen a write up of all of the features of the truck. And there it was mentioned that it was a power locking tailgate. So if you take off the doors then how would you lock and unlock the tailgate with some “power” button? Makes me think that perhaps you can only lock and unlock the tailgate with a key fob.
I don't know about only lock it with the key fob, I think that it could lock with power door locks and if you remove the doors then only the key fob.
Sponsored