OP

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
If you're under 6,000 wet and loaded with gear you should be fine. With the 85 percent rule, you'd be ok towing 6,500 pounds (I'm rounding) and would want a trailer under 6,400 loaded including fluids and gear plus the whatever weight you have in people, dogs, gear, etc. in the truck.

I use 85 percent of the rating and tongue weight minus 300 pounds for each person and their gear. We're usually going from Southern California then up and over the Rockies with some 6%, 7% and what I'd swear has to be a short stretch of 8%. For our need going up and down steep grades, I'd be at 6,400 pounds. Haven't seen tongue weight ratings if it's 600 pounds that would be a 500 tongue weight at 85 percent.

I'd want a trailer that maxed out at 6,000 wet and loaded with gear preferably less. Anything more than 6,500 actual weight I'd want a bigger truck but if you're in a flatter state you might have a different experience.
Well I live in Colorado with plenty of grades. And a long steep dirt road to my house too!
Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
The Jeep does come with a 7 pin connection so after installing a brake controller we'll be set to control the trailers brakes. But you bring up good questions on the adaptive cruise and collision avoidance, hopefully someone towing with those systems on another vehicle can add some light.
so we will have to install a brake controller?

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Okay. Just checked with two Mopar parts counters plus online chat. Nobody has heard of a plug andplay brake controller or anything that will work.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
Okay. Just checked with two Mopar parts counters plus online chat. Nobody has heard of a plug andplay brake controller or anything that will work.
There is a real possibility that they don't have it yet, there are still managers and sales people at dealerships that don't know what the gladiator is. They are not going to put new accessories for the Gladiator out until the Gladiator is released. This is all assumptions on my part but my guess is this would be something developed for the gladiator because of its towing capacity.

Sponsored

OP
OP

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I hope you’re right. I can’t quite get my brain around taking an expensive new vehicle with best in class towing capability to a shop that has to install a brake controller.... because the factory engineers forgot??!?

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I wouldn't expect a plug and play solution, almost all brake controllers are an aftermarket solution. But there is a Mopar part for the Cherokee so it may be coming. https://www.justforjeeps.com/intrbr..._W59ZtK73qmjDuwfkVNv7vK7oM3Y0GsxoCaK8QAvD_BwE
That was true once but I can’t name a current truck manufacturer that hasn’t offered one for the last 5 years. Honda Ridgeline? I don’t know but Silverado, Colorado, Ram, all Fords... cutting your dash to fit an ugly box is so 90s.

OP
OP

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
That was true once but I can’t name a current truck manufacturer that hasn’t offered one for the last 5 years. Honda Ridgeline? I don’t know but Silverado, Colorado, Ram, all Fords... cutting your dash to fit an ugly box is so 90s.
well none of the non OEM are mounted in a dash, they all mount underneath. at least the aftermarkets do. No cutting. But agreed, factory would certainly be best, no question.

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Absolutely you will want a brake controller. And a weight distribution hitch.
You can get a brake controller from the factory. It's a optionbon the build and price configurator.

Professor57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2020 Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I’m new to the forum and this joining the conversation way late. Apologies! I’ll need the max towing, also. All indications point toward a Sport or Sport S, but I’m unsure of the transmission choice. I’ll need to be sure of the gross weight of the truck and the gross weight allowed including both truck and trailer. I’ll be buying the travel trailer after I buy the JT. The trailer I’d like to get is an Oliver Elite II that is approximately 4600 dry with a tongue weight of 460. Max weight of the trailer is 7K. In theory, the JT should be able to handle it as long as I don’t max out the trailer weight. All this is working out in my head, but I’ll need to see it all on paper with the specific numbers from Jeep. Luckily, I’m in no hurry.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
I’m new to the forum and this joining the conversation way late. Apologies! I’ll need the max towing, also. All indications point toward a Sport or Sport S, but I’m unsure of the transmission choice. I’ll need to be sure of the gross weight of the truck and the gross weight allowed including both truck and trailer. I’ll be buying the travel trailer after I buy the JT. The trailer I’d like to get is an Oliver Elite II that is approximately 4600 dry with a tongue weight of 460. Max weight of the trailer is 7K. In theory, the JT should be able to handle it as long as I don’t max out the trailer weight. All this is working out in my head, but I’ll need to see it all on paper with the specific numbers from Jeep. Luckily, I’m in no hurry.

Check here for all of the specific numbers from Jeep, towing and payload have there own section quiet a ways down but still in the first post. Since you will be towing a heavy load you will need the automatic tranny (unfortunately).

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ecifications-sheet-feature-availability.8468/
Sponsored