Sponsored

How significant is the Hardtop Headliner Option?

Would you add on the Hardtop Headliner for the JT?

• Total voters

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
This might be a question for any current JK/JL owner. How significant is the hardtop headliner? A must have? I’m in Michigan and plan to use the JT as the daily driver.
  • The insulating hardtop headliner helps keep interior temperatures down in the summer and up in the winter and deadens road noise for a quieter, more comfortable interior.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
oops, i've not owned a jk/jl so no experience with the headliner. I think i'll be getting it. I'm wondering too what others think about the heat and noise.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Yes.
I live in Idaho so I have winter.

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
It's subtle, but the hardtop liners do reduce noise and insulate a bit. I only have the liners on the front of my hardtop and frost/ice melts much faster over the rear of the hardtop. They also change the feel of the interior, when you effectively replace the white roof with the black liners.

The real question should be do I order from the factory or the aftermarket... I'd probably do aftermarket to save a few bucks.

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
If you're looking for better insulative qualities, I would wait and go aftermarket. Hotheads Headliners will likely make a set for the Gladiator. And then you have the benefit of being able to put down some dynamat, boommat or other soundproofing underneath. When I had my hardtop, I ran the Hotheads and my wife ran the factory headliners. Sound dampening was about the same on both.

When I get my Gladiator, Ill likely buy the headliner after the fact so I can put down soundproofing first.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
OP
OP
BlckJT

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-

Sponsored

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Slightly off topic, but related.
I've never had a rag top vehicle, but I plan on getting the premium soft top. How does that do in the summer heat?

TXJT

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Her Jeep: 2012 JKUR on 33s, My Jeep: 2010 JKUR on 37s w/5.7 Hemi, Project Jeep: 1981 CJ-8 on 35's w/5.7 Hemi
I've never had a rag top vehicle, but I plan on getting the premium soft top. How does that do in the summer heat?
I see you're in Texas as well, a black soft top, even the black hard top without liners is going to be hot! My JK is not a daily driver but it is the first black top Jeep Wrangler of multiple previous Wrangler builds over almost 20 years (I've always used a dark tan or spice top before). The black top is noticeably hotter, you can feel the radiant heat through the top and in my JK, the A/C can barely keep up on 100+ degree day. Hot Heads makes a liner for the soft top as well, I don't have any experience with it but have considered it just haven't spent the $ because it is not a DD. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but hope the information helps...

MTH

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ, JKUR, JK Chief
Occupation
Professional Wiffleball Player
I see you're in Texas as well, a black soft top, even the black hard top without liners is going to be hot! My JK is not a daily driver but it is the first black top Jeep Wrangler of multiple previous Wrangler builds over almost 20 years (I've always used a dark tan or spice top before). The black top is noticeably hotter, you can feel the radiant heat through the top and in my JK, the A/C can barely keep up on 100+ degree day. Hot Heads makes a liner for the soft top as well, I don't have any experience with it but have considered it just haven't spent the $ because it is not a DD. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but hope the information helps...
Part of the reason why I bought the white hard topped Chief edition JK.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
It’s fine - fabric doesn’t hold nearly as much heat as metal or fiberglass, and the AC is more than enough to keep up and even overchill the Jeep. I regularly drove my JK in 105+ heat without any issues - but to be completely honest I mostly did that with the roof off :rock:

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on the Hotheads Headliner aftermarket option. I’ve had them in my 2012 JKUR since that fall. I lived through the Houston summer that year before getting them and can say they help nicely, dampening the heat transfer. They also temper the “liveliness” of sound in the cabin. I don’t regret a penny spent on them. The ones I’ve seen at dealerships were thinner than mine, but That is just a quick notice. HH earned my repeat business and I’ll forego the OEM option if I can.
Sponsored