Sponsored

Towing Capacity - Lets get serious here...

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2002 Jeep Wrangler-X, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2008 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Fabricator
As much as I would like a single vehicle to replace my Ford Raptor pickup and Unlimited Rubicon - I am having my doubts that the Gladiator is the truck for the job. Sure, the towing specs for the Gladiator are right up and beyond what I had hoped for - the engine is just not up to the task, regardless of the three extra gears in the transmission...

My 2015 JKU Rubicon with W5A580 / NAG1 5 speed Automatic, 3.73 gears, Stock Mud Terrain BFGs (31.5”) or Highway Tread tires the same size — is used to tow my Forest River Rpod 182G (3500#).

I never tow above 65mph and usually 55-60. I tow 5,000-7,000 miles.

I will tell you right now that the stock 3.6L engine (285 hp) starts running out of wind over 3500 feet altitude. Over 7000’ its butt is kicked and simply won’t tow any faster than 60 mph on level ground - even with a mild tailwind - and is in 3rd gear and many times 2nd gear.

This is just not a good engine for towing anything that has any sort of girth or height due to increased dynamic loading - AKA “Wind Resistance”.

This year, I did install a SuperChips Trail Dash 2 in order to get around the totally insane factory transmission shift strategy and that does help - but there was no increase in power that I could tell.

You cannot GIVE me an EPA-Diesel, so until Jeep installs a Turbocharger on this engine or a higher HP normally aspirated engine, I am pretty sure I will sit this one out...

9B7C0B09-24FA-4D2F-99E1-AA836E8BDEFC.jpeg

5B40FBA7-1E9F-4BCF-A7B8-F7760CB91ABA.jpeg
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
As they say - don't count your chickens before...… I bet it is different than the JK and has little problem towing but we must wait and see.

Like your Moon Equipment Avatar

whatroads

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ram 1500 QC 4x4, 2012 Wangler
I plan on getting the Sport S with the max tow package. I'm hopeful this will include the wide track axles and 4.10 gear. I have a rule I follow when towing. I never exceed 80% of the maximum vehicle tow capacity. If the new JT has a maximum tow capacity of 7600 lbs I would not attempt to two anything in excess of 6000 lbs.

As pointed out, high mountain passes can be an issue. Not for me though. I live in Kansas. The travel trailer I tow is stored at the entrance to the lake where I prefer to camp. I literally only tow it about 3-4 miles.

One of the first changes I plan to make would be to junk the stock tires in favor of Silent Armor 285/70R17 LT's with a "C" rating. This would help the towing stability.

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
SO I am still trying to figure out if this will tow my trailer. I can't find the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) in the specs. Can I add the base weight plus payload to arrive at this number accurately? Is the stated base weight assuming a full tank of gas?

Here's the calculations:
GVWR if using above for Rubicon is 6232
GCWR is 12,450 from the Jeep spec sheet
Max tow rating for Rubi is 7,000 lbs
VTWR (vertical towing weight rating should be no more than 20% of truck's max tow rating) = 1750.

Plugging all these into the BW Hitch calculator works out like this:

GVWR must be more than GVW ( weight of the truck with full tank of gas, passengers and cargo in truck)
GCWR must be more that GCW
GCW minus truck weight = towing weight
Max tow rating must be more than towing weight
Lastly take GVW minus truck weight to get VTW and so the VTWR must be more than the VTW.

Running all these numbers in my case, towing a 4900 lb (dry) trailer I am right under the limit. I can carry up to 600 lbs of cargo, 400 lbs of passengers and full tank of gas. But I live in Colorado so that might not work out to get around our mountains. I can go with a Sport S instead to get the extra 600 lbs of towing capacity but can't get the options I want with that. So now looking at a fully optioned 2019 Sierra with a MSRP of $60k. The added value of removable top and doors just doesn't work out its looking like sadly. I had really hoped I could have a Wrangler and truck in one to have a much more fun DD than an full size truck BUT be able to tow my camper. Not to be it appears....:(

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big-Foot

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2002 Jeep Wrangler-X, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2008 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Fabricator
Hi Koala,

I’m curious where you found some of the specs you have there....

As I said in the original post - I tow between 5 & 7,000 miles per year and that’s likely to increase.
Some of that towing is through some pretty good hills and some through the mountains. On our way to our place in AZ, we passed through El Paso TX and took the bypass over the top of the mountain. On the 8% grade - We were in 2nd gear and could maintain 40 mph, but temps were starting to climb even though it was a cool day. I think max coolant temp was 240° - still not overheating but more than I was comfortable maintaining.
I have no doubt that the drivelines and frames / suspension / brakes are sufficient. Just worried about wringing the neck of that Pentastar 3.6 for long periods.

Sponsored

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
Hi Koala,

I’m curious where you found some of the specs you have there....

As I said in the original post - I tow between 5 & 7,000 miles per year and that’s likely to increase.
Some of that towing is through some pretty good hills and some through the mountains. On our way to our place in AZ, we passed through El Paso TX and took the bypass over the top of the mountain. On the 8% grade - We were in 2nd gear and could maintain 40 mph, but temps were starting to climb even though it was a cool day. I think max coolant temp was 240° - still not overheating but more than I was comfortable maintaining.
I have no doubt that the drivelines and frames / suspension / brakes are sufficient. Just worried about wringing the neck of that Pentastar 3.6 for long periods.
The specs came off the features and spec sheet Jay posted way back. And yes, I too worry about redlining that poor engine!

OP
OP
Big-Foot

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fabricator
The specs came off the features and spec sheet Jay posted way back. And yes, I too worry about redlining that poor engine!
I guess I must have missed the VTWR that you mentioned...

koala

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
I guess I must have missed the VTWR that you mentioned...
Simple math: Max tow rating for Rubi is 7,000 lbs
VTWR (vertical towing weight rating should be no more than 20% of truck's max tow rating) = 1750.

OP
OP
Big-Foot

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fabricator
Simple math: Max tow rating for Rubi is 7,000 lbs
I have never heard of that acronym before. After some searching, I find it used mostly in BW Hitch related websites and the one percentage I found was 25% ... I’ll stick with what I know for now.
The 3.6 engine is way too underpowered for this sort of tow rating.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Big-Foot

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fabricator

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
FCA must really be relying on the additional gear reduction in the 8 spd Automatic to get the load rolling...
My understanding is 1st gear on the manual is extremely low. I think FCA is more concerned about the clutch plate slipping under heavy loads.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
As much as I would like a single vehicle to replace my Ford Raptor pickup and Unlimited Rubicon - I am having my doubts that the Gladiator is the truck for the job. Sure, the towing specs for the Gladiator are right up and beyond what I had hoped for - the engine is just not up to the task, regardless of the three extra gears in the transmission...

My 2015 JKU Rubicon with W5A580 / NAG1 5 speed Automatic, 3.73 gears, Stock Mud Terrain BFGs (31.5”) or Highway Tread tires the same size — is used to tow my Forest River Rpod 182G (3500#).

I never tow above 65mph and usually 55-60. I tow 5,000-7,000 miles.

I will tell you right now that the stock 3.6L engine (285 hp) starts running out of wind over 3500 feet altitude. Over 7000’ its butt is kicked and simply won’t tow any faster than 60 mph on level ground - even with a mild tailwind - and is in 3rd gear and many times 2nd gear.

This is just not a good engine for towing anything that has any sort of girth or height due to increased dynamic loading - AKA “Wind Resistance”.

This year, I did install a SuperChips Trail Dash 2 in order to get around the totally insane factory transmission shift strategy and that does help - but there was no increase in power that I could tell.

You cannot GIVE me an EPA-Diesel, so until Jeep installs a Turbocharger on this engine or a higher HP normally aspirated engine, I am pretty sure I will sit this one out...

9B7C0B09-24FA-4D2F-99E1-AA836E8BDEFC.jpeg

5B40FBA7-1E9F-4BCF-A7B8-F7760CB91ABA.jpeg

Bigfoot-

I have two comments....your problem is the gear ratio that you currently have. If you get the Max Tow option you’ll get the 4:10 gears which will be much better..

On the other hand why don’t you tow with your Raptor?? You should have enough HP there....

OP
OP
Big-Foot

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fabricator
I use the Jeep to haul our trailer from our summer home in MN to our winter home in AZ.
We do a significant amount of desert mountain trail riding (~2k miles year) and the Raptor is just waaaaaay to wide for the trails at a full 13” wider track and the body a few more inches than that. Believe me - I tried it.... Blow up the attached image - that was from one short 50 mile trip being careful as possible... Most of it compounded out, but you can only do that a couple times before you start running out of paint.

The Jeep was bought off the lot and has everything but the 4.10’s (2015 had 4.10 as an option even on Max Tow) ~225 RPM difference at 65 mph would help, but don’t believe it would be a huge difference.

If Jeep really produced this truck with enough nads to tow my trailer without working it to death, I would sell both trucks and buy the Gladiator. A turbo would make all the difference in the world.

2C3591CE-D599-4527-B2D2-4A26C55624DC.jpeg

CbtEngr8591

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubi
I have 4.88's with 35" tires can wish I would've put 5.13s in..granted I have the 3.8l mini van motor
Sponsored