First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Anybody notice that the spare rim is steel and not aluminum? I’m a little disappointed by this

6EE916BC-177F-4C03-A186-AD1DB362835E.png
Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I would be as well! Spend all that money and get a crappy steel wheel with minimal tread on the spare.

DropW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Kia Sephia , 2007 Vulcan 900
I wonder if they did that because the spare is underneath and the steel would be a little more tougher if it happened to get dragged on a rock or something while off-roading, but yeah that was one of the first things I noticed when those specs came out .

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
I wonder if they did that because the spare is underneath and the steel would be a little more tougher if it happened to get dragged on a rock or something while off-roading, but yeah that was one of the first things I noticed when those specs came out .
Difference between aluminum alloy wheels and steel wheels strength is low. Especially considering that steel wheels tend to have thinner spokes compared to aluminum, it's about the same strength wise. If anything the steel spare will get scratched then rust out.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Usually, under vehicle spares are steel. Probably because road salts and chemicals will eat an aluminum wheel alive and there's no sense in the cost. Might as well use a steel wheel that's cheaper and could be sanded and painted whenever necessary.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Usually, under vehicle spares are steel. Probably because road salts and chemicals will eat an aluminum wheel alive and there's no sense in the cost. Might as well use a steel wheel that's cheaper and could be sanded and painted whenever necessary.
My thoughts exactly

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
My 4runner has a steel spare, and now that I tam thinking about it, so did my Tacoma, Frontier, and Xterras. Since it's under the bed, it doesn't bother me at all.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Just means you don’t rotate the spare into the mix. But the big advantage with steel vs aluminum, if the wheel takes a direct shot you can usually pound it out where aluminum will crack.

NortheastJeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Wrangler
A little fluid film will keep that baby from rusting. I spray fluid film on my undercarriage each winter in the Northeast.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
It's a cost thing.

On my '99 Grand Cherokee with the off road package, all 5 wheels were the same so I could rotate them.

On my '14 Grand Cherokee with off road package, the full size spare is a steel wheel (stored inside the cargo area, not underneath like the JT).

On our '14 Cherokee, they didn't even include a spare...just an air compressor with some slime. A friend of mine had a sidewall tear on his Cherokee while we were off-roading and slime won't fix that!

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I was hoping for five matching wheels. I plan on selling the stock set up right away. This will really limit the buying pool as jeeps will want five matching.....
Sponsored