All about that Price - no trouble?

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I had considered that possibility, but I wondered "Why would he fabricate an invoice price, especially one that is so much higher than anyone anticipated?" I couldn't come up with a decent reason, as I only contacted him to request a brochure and never discussed interest in the JL (maybe he thought I'd immediately give up on a JT and order a JL on the spot?). In previous posts (I'm assuming you've read them all? #33?), I did state that this might be inflated (perhaps even doubled), but, again, I don't know why he'd do that, as it will only scare me away.
I'm hoping it's pure propaganda (and I'm just not smart enough to understand the motivation), but the blame for the misinformation lies (get it? lies?) with the dealer, whom I will call on the carpet if this proves to be the case.
I am here to stoke nothing, just reporting the most recent information I have been given, and, therefore, will have nothing to "apologies" for. If this information, give to me as "accurate and factual" from an otherwise reputable/knowledgeable source, affects any "hysteria" (why would anyone get hysterical about a car price?), that is on the easily hysterified, not me.
I will say the majority of salesman don't research new products. They focus solely what they can sell today. The really good ones plant seeds to harvest later. I also spoke with a salesman today while my buddy was looking at the power wagon and said he's been told the JT will have a 2,000 premium. I just nodded my head. He also tried to show us the redesigned 2020 2500 Power Wagon, which I knew isn't out. Of course we walked across the lot to look at the 2018. We will just have to see.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CbtEngr8591

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubi
he's still getting you going down the sale path, which is his intention. after all a sale is a sale. Personally I don't think most on here need "convincing" to buy one but he's just following protocol

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I don't have a clue what the JT will cost...

However the only truck with similar capabilities is the 79 Series Land Cruisers and in countries where there sold they around $70K....

I think we just need to wait a couple of weeks and find out..

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
So there we have it! Some say 70k+ on high end, and some say 30K+ on the other.

I'm going with the common sense model, which is ask a bunch of people what they think and that's what it is period.

Also why we had this thread to begin with.

My prediction is a Sport 30K, Sport S 40K, Overland 50K, Rubicon 60K.

Figure in the 99c instead of a dollar approach and it'll be 32,500 41,999, 48,500, and 58,750.

Add anything and price goes up.

The sport S Max Tow will be deal price with real good options included, AKA ole wiley jeep crankster dude price at 43,238 then add your own extra options.

The Rich Rubi at the top be 78,545 with options.

The cheapest will be low 30's and the most high will be over 80.

My thoughts. LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
So there we have it! Some say 70k+ on high end, and some say 30K+ on the other.

I'm going with the common sense model, which is ask a bunch of people what they think and that's what it is period.

Also why we had this thread to begin with.

My prediction is a Sport 30K, Sport S 40K, Overland 50K, Rubicon 60K.

Figure in the 99c instead of a dollar approach and it'll be 32,500 41,999, 48,500, and 58,750.

Add anything and price goes up.

The sport S Max Tow will be deal price with real good options included, AKA ole wiley jeep crankster dude price at 43,238 then add your own extra options.

The Rich Rubi at the top be 78,545 with options.

The cheapest will be low 30's and the most high will be over 80.

My thoughts. LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

I like it can I join your camp? Haha. How would we get from $32500 to $41999 between the bone stock Sport and Sport S in your opinion?

Sponsored

JJStasen

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 RAM, 12 Tahoe, 97 TJ [RIP 99 XJ ton's and 35's]
Vehicle Showcase
’19 JLU Sport – $33,040
’19 JLU Sport S – $36,240
(+ $3,200)

@5JeepsAz prediction

’20 JT Sport - $32,500
’20 JT Sport S - $41,999
(+ $9,499)

I think that’s a little too much increase between the trims.

The Sport S adds

17-Inch Tech Silver Aluminum Wheels
Power Windows, Power Heated Mirrors and Power Locking Doors and Tailgate
Remote Keyless Entry

I think there will be similar increase on the JT.

I think that the JT Sport will start at $34,500
The JT Sport S will start at $37,700

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I will say the majority of salesman don't research new products. They focus solely what they can sell today. The really good ones plant seeds to harvest later. I also spoke with a salesman today while my buddy was looking at the power wagon and said he's been told the JT will have a 2,000 premium. I just nodded my head. He also tried to show us the redesigned 2020 2500 Power Wagon, which I knew isn't out. Of course we walked across the lot to look at the 2018. We will just have to see.
Yeah, had a dose of this locally. Stuck my head in a couple dealers for the sake of science, and if one of them is on the ball, for the future when it comes time to buy.

I was met with astounding cluelessness. Astonishing ignorance. Outright wrongness.

I get it, it's their job that they make money doing and aren't necessarily enthusiasts, but wow.

I'll reserve judgement until the pricing actually comes out.

TXMaybeJT

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Had) 2010 F-150 Lariat, 07 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Fixing computers when grunts break them
This.

Guys - @misanthrope is on point here. It's a tough pill to swallow, but it's Business School 101.
Companies DO NOT spend big-time R&D & market research dollars just to cannibalize sales from an existing product line.
FCAU is absolutely tapping into an a new untapped market. (See "Lifestyle Vehicle" discussions on this forum)
My experience:
  • I went to the LA autoshow on the last day (a week after the reveal).
  • The JT's on the floor were the most popular vehicles in that entire wing of the LA Convention center.
  • You had to wait in a long line just to sit in it.
  • If anybody was wondering - I opened the fuel door, and it had a locking gas cap which was sweet.
Jeep knows they have a home-run with the JT.
Simply put, this truck will decimate the competition in the mid-size truck category, and really creates it's own vehicle class of mid-size + off-road beast + convertible + legit towing pickup + ecodiesel (20mpg+) when that engine arrives.
$68k+ fully loaded JT Rubicon is what you should expect. Then add more $ for the Diesel in CY2020.

Anything lower than that price, and you are kidding yourself. You heard it from @misanthrope first. I am seconding his analysis.
Will come back in a few months to say we told you so. Apologies for the tough love - you guys are awesome.
Man, I'm not disagreeing, but I'm hoping you're way high. At $68k, there's other trucks out there I'd rather have. Maybe I'm not FCA's target market, but loaded full-size money for the JT would kick me right out. And maybe I'm being too picky, but I'm on a Rubicon or nothing mindset. If I'm getting a JT, I want the most capability possible from the factory. But $68k...that's a hell of a lot of money, and WAY over my price range.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Man, I'm not disagreeing, but I'm hoping you're way high. At $68k, there's other trucks out there I'd rather have. Maybe I'm not FCA's target market, but loaded full-size money for the JT would kick me right out. And maybe I'm being too picky, but I'm on a Rubicon or nothing mindset. If I'm getting a JT, I want the most capability possible from the factory. But $68k...that's a hell of a lot of money, and WAY over my price range.
The rubicon will not start no where near $68K. If you put $20K worth of options on it thats you deal.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
You have to understand, Jeep doesn't care about the cross-shopper, or the midsized truck market as a whole. If you're shopping for a pick-up truck, the Gladiator is simply not for you (and they'll make sure of it by pricing it out of the midsized market). If, however, you're shopping for a new Jeep with a bed, then this is your only option at any price (short of the near-$100k that Brute gets for theirs).

The rubicon will not start no where near $68K. If you put $20K worth of options on it thats you deal.
@TheSpaniard never said the Rubi would start at $68k, but rather that a fully loaded non-diesel would run about that, which I agree with, as a fully loaded JL Rubi is more than $60k already. Heck, the base Rubi JL is $43k, so don't expect the JT Rubi to come in much under $50k.

IWantAJeepGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Hopefully nobody buys them, jeep takes it on the chin and then slashes prices for Xmas.
I wish we could coordinate that. I think it will be more than people are hoping for. I bet you will have to order a bone stock Sport S with a manual transmission to have a chance of getting out at $39999 aka under 40. The sport has to be and the rest will be over with any options. At least from the beginning .

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I wish we could coordinate that. I think it will be more than people are hoping for. I bet you will have to order a bone stock Sport S with a manual transmission to have a chance of getting out at $39999 aka under 40. The sport has to be and the rest will be over with any options. At least from the beginning .
I agree all that cutthroat happens at top trim. But it stops up there. Those guys don't look at base models.

Pricing a pickup above the trail hawk will never happen. That would be jeep entering the pickup world with a gimick. Won't happen. Jeep will stay in it's own lane.

Down in my base bone stock world, theJT will not be priced higher than Grand Cherokee Laredo base model, which is tops in Jeep.

I'll get sport max tow and some options under 40K OTD, maybe with under invoice pricing.

Based on MSRP $32,770 JT Sport no options.

TXMaybeJT

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Had) 2010 F-150 Lariat, 07 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Fixing computers when grunts break them
Absolutely! But the $7k increase from the JLUR I've seen thrown around still puts it too high for me. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping the price ends up being close enough to my budget that I can negotiate it.

You have to understand, Jeep doesn't care about the cross-shopper, or the midsized truck market as a whole. If you're shopping for a pick-up truck, the Gladiator is simply not for you (and they'll make sure of it by pricing it out of the midsized market). If, however, you're shopping for a new Jeep with a bed, then this is your only option at any price (short of the near-$100k that Brute gets for theirs).

@TheSpaniard never said the Rubi would start at $68k, but rather that a fully loaded non-diesel would run about that, which I agree with, as a fully loaded JL Rubi is more than $60k already. Heck, the base Rubi JL is $43k, so don't expect the JT Rubi to come in much under $50k.
Oh yeah, I fully understand that approach to it, and I realize I'm a weird case. I honestly haven't looked hard at midsize trucks to replace my F-150, but the Gladiator has an appeal that would make it worth it for me, at the right price. Building the JLUR I'd want comes out to $52k, so all I'm doing is hoping for the best price outcome that would get me as close to that as possible.

That said, I'm far from an economist or market analyst, but I'd think they'd be making a mistake to not try to go for the mid-size market. They put all the R&D money and time into giving the Rubicon a 7,000lbs towing capacity and 1,160lbs of payload, and I don't think they would've done that if they weren't angling for mid-size truck buyers. Especially when that beats out the ZR2 by 2,000lbs.

But again, this is all wishful thinking and conjecture until FCA finally put out pricing. I've just been shopping for a vehicle most of my deployment, so I have way too much time on my hands to think about all this!
Sponsored