Sponsored

Its Official...Ford Ranger Is Back and The Scrambler's newest comp.

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Awesome video!! I'm JT or bust at this point but love seeing all of these new trucks.
Sponsored

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I don't need the Gladiator but want it. That being said I am definitely leaning towards a competitor. I'm thinking we shouldn't trust the first model year of this beast- plus it won't really be "set" until year 3 or so.
Patience is also wearing thin.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I don't need the Gladiator but want it. That being said I am definitely leaning towards a competitor. I'm thinking we shouldn't trust the first model year of this beast- plus it won't really be "set" until year 3 or so.
Patience is also wearing thin.
Yea Im right there too. Also the rumor of no diesel till late 2019 as a 2020 model almost guarantees Im not buying a Gladiator if thats the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
No manual tranny = dealbreaker for me

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
If Ford beats them to market in the US with that Raptor Ranger and at a price point similar to the ZR2 FCA is going to be losing a LOT of customers.
If so, what will be done with the catch all phrase . . . "All the Jeep Loyalists" ? they'll be saying, "Why have you forsaken me?" I can only speak for me . . . I was practically born in a Plymouth Fury (on way to hospital, so I've been told) and every year since Dodge or Plymouth were the vehicle s of (parents) choice ! I'm therefore a diehard Loyalist . . . it's firmly implanted in my Soul . Sitting in Fords and G.M.'s make me feel ill ! Funny though - or more like sad - one of my brothers was a Ford guy for awhile then a Toyota guy (traitor) and another a staunch Chevy man ALL his life . This Raptor thing though it really does have a lot of "sex appeal" is way too BIG for its Midsize (supposed) category !? How much is too much ? I often ask myself that, and the manufacturers just keep upping the anti, irregardless of more pressing issues !
Personally, if Jeep made a Hybrid with electric motors, I would be on board - 1 for each wheel / not a plug in, too much infrastructure required . It may happen, but by then I would be "pushing up daisies" (dead) . And at that point I could give a shit about Price . . . :LOL:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
If so, what will be done with the catch all phrase . . . "All the Jeep Loyalists" ? they'll be saying, "Why have you forsaken me?" I can only speak for me . . . I was practically born in a Plymouth Fury (on way to hospital, so I've been told) and every year since Dodge or Plymouth were the vehicle s of (parents) choice ! I'm therefore a diehard Loyalist . . . it's firmly implanted in my Soul . Sitting in Fords and G.M.'s make me feel ill ! Funny though - or more like sad - one of my brothers was a Ford guy for awhile then a Toyota guy (traitor) and another a staunch Chevy man ALL his life . This Raptor thing though it really does have a lot of "sex appeal" is way too BIG for its Midsize (supposed) category !? How much is too much ? I often ask myself that, and the manufacturers just keep upping the anti, irregardless of more pressing issues !
Personally, if Jeep made a Hybrid with electric motors, I would be on board - 1 for each wheel / not a plug in, too much infrastructure required . It may happen, but by then I would be "pushing up daisies" (dead) . And at that point I could give a shit about Price . . . :LOL:
It's not too big, IMHO. I walked around it at an auto show, then compared it to the Ranger, the Colorado. and the Taco.

To qualify my purpose, I want this truck for camping, skiing, mountain biking and road trips, back country style. I'm definitely not a truck guy, but the back of my WK (CRD) almost always has the rear seat folded and the back is stuffed full of toys.

Anyway, I feel like this is the right size. All the full sized trucks are just too f---ing ginormous for daily drivers. This one, while being really long compared to Wranglers, is right-sized. As are the "mid" sized competitors. This one in particular, my highlight was that the bed sides are low enough for a 6' guy to load and unload gear. The Overland bed side was easy to reach over, where none of the rest were. And full size trucks? Fuggetaboutit, their bed sides are up at neck level, so no wonder they have to create these Rube Goldberg tailgates!

Finally, I measured the over all length of the JT and it's actually shorter than my WK when bikes are loaded on back.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's not too big, IMHO. I walked around it at an auto show, then compared it to the Ranger, the Colorado. and the Taco.

To qualify my purpose, I want this truck for camping, skiing, mountain biking and road trips, back country style. I'm definitely not a truck guy, but the back of my WK (CRD) almost always has the rear seat folded and the back is stuffed full of toys.

Anyway, I feel like this is the right size. All the full sized trucks are just too f---ing ginormous for daily drivers. This one, while being really long compared to Wranglers, is right-sized. As are the "mid" sized competitors. This one in particular, my highlight was that the bed sides are low enough for a 6' guy to load and unload gear. The Overland bed side was easy to reach over, where none of the rest were. And full size trucks? Fuggetaboutit, their bed sides are up at neck level, so no wonder they have to create these Rube Goldberg tailgates!

Finally, I measured the over all length of the JT and it's actually shorter than my WK when bikes are loaded on back.
BILLY, I could not agree more with your thoughts . Sounds like you have seen the "beast" up close & personal ? What Show ?
I'm not a "truck guy," per say, I bought my Dodge 1500 (2003) for a specific purpose that no other vehicle in the Dodge Family could fill -- towing a 28 foot RV Travel Trailer, full time RVing after my Navy retirement ! Did it for 2 years (2004>2006) then traded up to a 5th wheel for another 2 years (unable to tow myself at that point) . That's all beside the point . Hmm, what IS the point ? :lipssealed: ?
It is the "right size" if you agree with the Jeep Designers analysis getting there . I believe, solely based on my own bias - being a singularity (+dog) that I don't need all that Crew Cab space, and would prefer to have a longer Bed (I'm 6 foot) to sleep in .
Saving on any sort of RTT options - just a good Canopy (say by A.R.E.) like I had on my 1500 .
Making the Cabin larger will never happen (can't make the bed any shorter !) without having to make the Frame/wheelbase Longer, and that will render the DT's purpose-built dimensions worthless for anything but "mall-crawling" ! Well, not that bad, but I think we see the point .
SHORTER for me, not by a whole lot - perhaps "Quad Cab" size Cabin and making the Bed Longer or Quad Cab and shorten the entire truck for better break-over angle ! ? Non of these things will happen via 3rd party Companies (at 1st) unless people are willing to pay BIG BUCKS -- it would be labor intensive ! Heck the AEV BRUTE ain't cheap !
Well, IF I get one of these things, as it is now, most likely I will be taking out the rear seating and having some fabricating shop come up with a secure storage solution and a nice flat surface for a dog bed on top ! My (few) fly fishing friends all have their own off road-able rigs . Time will tell . . . I may go with a JLU add a Goose Gear system and maybe an Ursa Minor popup down the road or simply just keep my Kodiak Canvas ground tent for now, and hope the bears keep on minding their own business . . .
:) :CWL: :LOL: .

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
BILLY, I could not agree more with your thoughts . Sounds like you have seen the "beast" up close & personal ? What Show ?
I'm not a "truck guy," per say, I bought my Dodge 1500 (2003) for a specific purpose that no other vehicle in the Dodge Family could fill -- towing a 28 foot RV Travel Trailer, full time RVing after my Navy retirement ! Did it for 2 years (2004>2006) then traded up to a 5th wheel for another 2 years (unable to tow myself at that point) . That's all beside the point . Hmm, what IS the point ? :lipssealed: ?
It is the "right size" if you agree with the Jeep Designers analysis getting there . I believe, solely based on my own bias - being a singularity (+dog) that I don't need all that Crew Cab space, and would prefer to have a longer Bed (I'm 6 foot) to sleep in .
Saving on any sort of RTT options - just a good Canopy (say by A.R.E.) like I had on my 1500 .
Making the Cabin larger will never happen (can't make the bed any shorter !) without having to make the Frame/wheelbase Longer, and that will render the DT's purpose-built dimensions worthless for anything but "mall-crawling" ! Well, not that bad, but I think we see the point .
SHORTER for me, not by a whole lot - perhaps "Quad Cab" size Cabin and making the Bed Longer or Quad Cab and shorten the entire truck for better break-over angle ! ? Non of these things will happen via 3rd party Companies (at 1st) unless people are willing to pay BIG BUCKS -- it would be labor intensive ! Heck the AEV BRUTE ain't cheap !
Well, IF I get one of these things, as it is now, most likely I will be taking out the rear seating and having some fabricating shop come up with a secure storage solution and a nice flat surface for a dog bed on top ! My (few) fly fishing friends all have their own off road-able rigs . Time will tell . . . I may go with a JLU add a Goose Gear system and maybe an Ursa Minor popup down the road or simply just keep my Kodiak Canvas ground tent for now, and hope the bears keep on minding their own business . . .
:) :CWL: :LOL: .
LOVE the Ursa minor tops! But, I already own a RTT, so I'll simply get an adjustable height ladder/lumber rack and be ready for some camping. I want the adjustable height so I can hide it aerodynamically behind the cab. Also to drop it all the way with the top off in summer.

And yes, I was able to crawl in and around a Gladiator Overland at the Portland (OR) Auto Show.

20190124_200325.jpg

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
LOVE the Ursa minor tops! But, I already own a RTT, so I'll simply get an adjustable height ladder/lumber rack and be ready for some camping. I want the adjustable height so I can hide it aerodynamically behind the cab. Also to drop it all the way with the top off in summer.

And yes, I was able to crawl in and around a Gladiator Overland at the Portland (OR) Auto Show.

20190124_200325.jpg
NICE . I should of noticed - Oregon - thus the Portland Show (used to live in Saint Johns many years ago) .
Now there's an idea I overlooked . . . that IS another way to go, many mainstream companies make them - Thule for instance . Just to tease . . . Ursa Minor says, once they get hands on with a JT, they will be designing a popup (?) for the JT too ! If that ever happens get ready to spend boo-koo bucks for it !
They've been promising a JL popup for 18 months now and every time I email them about it I get NO RESPONSE ever ! ! !
They show it being revealed at some near future outdoors shows later this year, but when it will actually be available to buy ?
Late 2019 is my guess . I'm over in Spokane now (since '04 Navy retirement) . I thought about a road trip to Portland or Seattle for the Shows but didn't want to deal with all the driving, motels, etcetera, or weather issues ! I can wait, my WK2 (2016) seres me very well .
ps; nice photo, any more ? I like the Overland wheels vs the Sport S wheels but the Rubicons are the best imho .
Sponsored