Sponsored

Do you think the $800 million fine will change or delay the Eco diesel further?

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Last edited:

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I doubt it. I'm sure insurance will pay part of it. They will work something out behind closed doors. Remember we are just the little people, they are the ones who actually run the world.

OP
OP
Malarkey21

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Looks like most of the money is being paid to California.
"The settlements are now lodged with the San Francisco division of the United States District Court, North District of California, where they await judicial approval. The approximately $400 million in civil penalties includes:
  • $305 million payable to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for environmental claims
  • $13.5 million to the California Attorney General for consumer claims and mitigation expenses
  • $72.5 million to various other state attorneys general for environmental and consumer claims
  • $6 million to Customs and Border Protection
In addition, FCA US will pay $19 million to the State of California for emissions mitigation initiatives, while also financing the upgrade of 200,000 high-efficiency catalytic converters through the aftermarket."

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
and this is why I dont live in California!

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
I'm sure they have already started developing the Ecodiesel for the Gladiator and have money already allocated to the development project, so not much effect if any. The biggest thing that could screw up the development of the Ecodiesel is stricter emissions.

Sponsored

WareAmI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Chevelle, 2015 Yamaha R6
FCA should stop making vehicles for sale in Commiefornia. Also I hope the EPA isn’t getting paid during this shutdown.

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
My guess is before it's all over, this EPA situation will convince FCA to cancel the Wrangler diesel before we ever get a chance to ever see it on a showroom floor. Can't say as I blame FCA, either. Sigh...:(

Sponsored

mtnRN

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WK2 Ecodiesel
As the owner of a 2016 3.0 ecodiesel Grand, I can say that this is not going to effect it one bit. Even after the lawsuit was filed, Dodge has still been selling the engines in the 2018 and 2019 trucks. With the settlement, the owners (like me) will not get paid until they take their vehicles into the dealer to get the PCM re-programmed. This settlement is for the governments suit and address the owners compensation by way of fines and not any class action. Then there are some of us owners who have sued FCA separately.

As to the performance of the 3.0, its awesome. It hauls ass going up the mountains on I70 in Colorado. Like they weren't even there. I'm crazy because I want a Gladiator so badly, but knowing how awesome the 3.0 is, I am going to try and wait.

On my Grand, I went up 2 tire sizes, with wheel spacers and have a 2.5" lift. Stock I was getting about 27-29 mpg in mixed driving, after my mods I am getting 19-22 mpg. I'm not complaining because one should never buy a Jeep and complain about gas mileage.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.

jeepinmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Doubt we ever see a diesel. It's been forever and too many restrictions. Electric and their Hybrids are the future and will kill off diesel within the next few years. The diesel in the JT tows less too. Just don't see the point in the premium for what you get. Jeep wants to commit to electric in 2020 with a wrangler hybrid. Heres some proof.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidk...omakers-are-dumping-diesel-cars/#49923d4765ec

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Doubt we ever see a diesel. It's been forever and too many restrictions. Electric and their Hybrids are the future and will kill off diesel within the next few years. The diesel in the JT tows less too. Just don't see the point in the premium for what you get. Jeep wants to commit to electric in 2020 with a wrangler hybrid.
Well with Senator "AOC" and her "farting cows" Green New Deal document all our jeeps are going to be outlawed in under 10 years! enjoy it while it lasts.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Jeep might - a year or 2 from now - make some "improvements," but more likely, they WILL add some premium to the cost of this option, or more likely, across the board on all vehicles that have this option - G.C. / JL / JT / RAM . . . ? After all don't they ALL pass the "cost of doing business" ON to the Consumer ? Sort of an Economics form of the 'trickle-down'
business-owner logic ! Just an opinion . . . NOT a political stance, so please don't berate me for my opinion . . . it's not written in stone and is always subject to change based on "the Facts," real Facts !
Sponsored