Paint "Late-availability" definition & 3.0L ecoDiesel

nate320

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite JTLE Ordered, switched to the dark(er) side: Black JTLE
This forum has been a great source of info (and re-assuring speculation) so I thought I would use my first post to get everyone's input.

I purchased a new 2-door JK back in '09, but had to trade it in last year to buy my wife a newer/safer car as our family grew (4-door wasn't practical at the time since I was preparing for getting out of the military and was still waiting for the right job offer to come my way). Long story short, I missed it everyday and I've always wanted a diesel Wrangler once the rumors started circulating and was able to accept a job that would financially allow me to purchase one if/when the Jeep gods say they're ready. However, the Gladiator turned it all upside down and completely changed my mind--I want one in my driveway right meow.

As a diesel has always been on my wish list, but I'm trying to manage my terrible impulse control to balance getting a Gladiator Rubicon gasser as soon as it drives off of the hauler, or waiting for the diesel (whenever in the 12 month CY20 range FCA spits them out). Further contributing to my sob story dilemma: All of the paint colors I want are "late-availability", but I can't find a quantifiable time-frame that says how late that is. Some of the JL posts were helpful but didn't lead me to a definitive "these paint colors took an extra X amount of months to be delivered after the initial color offerings".

I understand that most responses will be educated guesses since we don't seem to know when the diesel will arrive, but if I have to wait a decent amount of time for a specific color (while trying not to convince myself that I would probably be just as happy in a black 3.6L), what's another few months?

Also, do you guys foresee the diesel being able to be ordered when everything first opens up or is it something that won't be an option until it's closer to release?

I'm aware of the pro's and con's of both engines and don't want this to be a diesel vs. gas post; I feel I'd be happy with either option, but diesel is what I really want and only comes down to my simple desire to own a diesel Jeep. I don't do any of the activities that are associated with what people think you "need to buy a diesel for", since by that logic I should really be buying a Honda Civic anyways.

At the end of the day, if the later paint colors are going to be a while, and the diesel release isn't speculated to be too far off from that, I'll wait.

If the paint colors only delay gas variant deliveries by 1-2 months, I'll most likely pick a color I want with the 3.6L and call it a day.

If paint delays it until December 2019 and the diesel won't be out until the following December, I'll take the keys to whatever Rubicon gets to me first but would rather avoid ordering 3 vehicles in the event I can place one for each configuration right off the bat unless the dealer is happy to absorb them into inventory.

Suppose I could have worse problems! Any insight/speculation/commiseration would be appreciated :like:
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I purchased a new 2-door JK back in '09, but had to trade it in last year to buy my wife a newer/safer car as our family grew (4-door wasn't practical at the time since I was preparing for getting out of the military and was still waiting for the right job offer to come my way). Long story short, I missed it everyday and I've always wanted a diesel Wrangler once the rumors started circulating and was able to accept a job that would financially allow me to purchase one if/when the Jeep gods say they're ready. However, the Gladiator turned it all upside down and completely changed my mind--I want one in my driveway right meow.
Meow what color are you looking for? I want a Gator Gladiator myself.

OP
OP
nate320

nate320

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Meow what color are you looking for? I want a Gator Gladiator myself.
That's the same color I have on my configuration PDF right meow.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
That's the same color I have on my configuration PDF right meow.
I really think the time is meow for them to come out with the pricing for these Gladiators.

OP
OP
nate320

nate320

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really think the time is meow for them to come out with the pricing for these Gladiators.
Meow I really don't think they know just how fast we want them to go.

Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
This forum has been a great source of info (and re-assuring speculation) so I thought I would use my first post to get everyone's input.

As a diesel has always been on my wish list, but I'm trying to manage my terrible impulse control to balance getting a Gladiator Rubicon gasser as soon as it drives off of the hauler, or waiting for the diesel (whenever in the 12 month CY20 range FCA spits them out). Further contributing to my sob story dilemma: All of the paint colors I want are "late-availability", but I can't find a quantifiable time-frame that says how late that is. Some of the JL posts were helpful but didn't lead me to a definitive "these paint colors took an extra X amount of months to be delivered after the initial color offerings".

I understand that most responses will be educated guesses since we don't seem to know when the diesel will arrive, but if I have to wait a decent amount of time for a specific color (while trying not to convince myself that I would probably be just as happy in a black 3.6L), what's another few months?

Also, do you guys foresee the diesel being able to be ordered when everything first opens up or is it something that won't be an option until it's closer to release?

I'm aware of the pro's and con's of both engines and don't want this to be a diesel vs. gas post; I feel I'd be happy with either option, but diesel is what I really want and only comes down to my simple desire to own a diesel Jeep. I don't do any of the activities that are associated with what people think you "need to buy a diesel for", since by that logic I should really be buying a Honda Civic anyways.

At the end of the day, if the later paint colors are going to be a while, and the diesel release isn't speculated to be too far off from that, I'll wait.

If the paint colors only delay gas variant deliveries by 1-2 months, I'll most likely pick a color I want with the 3.6L and call it a day.

If paint delays it until December 2019 and the diesel won't be out until the following December, I'll take the keys to whatever Rubicon gets to me first but would rather avoid ordering 3 vehicles in the event I can place one for each configuration right off the bat unless the dealer is happy to absorb them into inventory.

Suppose I could have worse problems! Any insight/speculation/commiseration would be appreciated :like:
A reference point regarding late availability...

When the redesigned 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee was released in spring 2013, the EcoDiesel option was tagged as "late availability" also. I bought my EcoDiesel in early December 2013 (fresh off the delivery truck). At the time, some of that hold-up was supposedly working emission issues (based on the recently settled FCA lawsuit, guess they didn't quite have it figured out at the time). That was the first vehicle to get the EcoDiesel (Ram 1500 followed), so there were definitely some stumbling issues getting it out there. So you may see "late availability" colors/diesel end of the year if this parallels the 2014 JGC release.

I love my EcoDiesel JGC with ~30MPG + 7200 lb towing (4x4). Other than the persistent emission issues (that hopefully the lawsuit settlement will fix, or at least cover with the extended emission warranty), it's a great vehicle.

With the JGC, the diesel made sense since it had towing capacity close to the V8 with fuel economy better than V6. With the Gladiator and the reported lower towing capability with the diesel (200-500 pounds less), it will probably come down to fuel economy vs. diesel engine premium (about $3k more for the JGC). With all of the emission problems I've had with my JGC, I may unload it once I get the FCA SW upgrade/warranty and buy a gas Gladiator. Just can't see a diesel Gladiator advantage like there was with the JGC.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I agree with the above..

Now that it appears that the EPA settlement is finalized I can see the the diesel option being available this summer or fall.

But it's pure speculation at this point.

OP
OP
nate320

nate320

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A reference point regarding late availability...

When the redesigned 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee was released in spring 2013, the EcoDiesel option was tagged as "late availability" also. I bought my EcoDiesel in early December 2013 (fresh off the delivery truck). At the time, some of that hold-up was supposedly working emission issues (based on the recently settled FCA lawsuit, guess they didn't quite have it figured out at the time). That was the first vehicle to get the EcoDiesel (Ram 1500 followed), so there were definitely some stumbling issues getting it out there. So you may see "late availability" colors/diesel end of the year if this parallels the 2014 JGC release.

I love my EcoDiesel JGC with ~30MPG + 7200 lb towing (4x4). Other than the persistent emission issues (that hopefully the lawsuit settlement will fix, or at least cover with the extended emission warranty), it's a great vehicle.

With the JGC, the diesel made sense since it had towing capacity close to the V8 with fuel economy better than V6. With the Gladiator and the reported lower towing capability with the diesel (200-500 pounds less), it will probably come down to fuel economy vs. diesel engine premium (about $3k more for the JGC). With all of the emission problems I've had with my JGC, I may unload it once I get the FCA SW upgrade/warranty and buy a gas Gladiator. Just can't see a diesel Gladiator advantage like there was with the JGC.
I agree with the above..

Now that it appears that the EPA settlement is finalized I can see the the diesel option being available this summer or fall.

But it's pure speculation at this point.
Thanks for the insight! Hearing the reality of diesel ownership from actual owners has led me to the decision that the novelty of having one just because, isn't worth it. I went and took a test drive of a 2018 JL yesterday to get a feel for how much the engine/transmission combo has changed since 2009; a world of a difference, and plenty enough for what I'll use my JT for. Remembering how annoying the old 3.8L with the four speed auto was seemed to be a roadblock in my head to originally lean towards diesel.

Edit: Forgot that my JK had the 3.8L instead of a 3.6

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Thanks for the insight! Hearing the reality of diesel ownership from actual owners has led me to the decision that the novelty of having one just because, isn't worth it. I went and took a test drive of a 2018 JL yesterday to get a feel for how much the engine/transmission combo has changed since 2009; a world of a difference, and plenty enough for what I'll use my JT for. Remembering how annoying the old 3.8L with the four speed auto was seemed to be a roadblock in my head to originally lean towards diesel.

Edit: Forgot that my JK had the 3.8L instead of a 3.6
Just to be clear...I absolutely love the EcoDiesel. I bought my JGC Dec 2013 and I've got 90k miles on it. It tows like a dream and I was getting close to 30MPG highway before I put off-road tires on.

The problem with the EcoDiesel on my JGC is the emission system for the diesel exhaust. Rumors in 2013 with the delays in getting the EcoDiesel to market were challenges with getting the emissions working. Around fall 2013 timeframe they got approval and then they started hitting the market. The problems I've had with the exhaust system is I've had to take it to the dealer a couple of times to do a manual regen (even though it's suppose to regen automatically at highway speeds, and one SW update improved that) and I've had to replace several sensors on the emission side. I also have an occasional CEL that comes on, that the dealer hasn't been much help with (other than wanting to replace the system), and I just clear it with a ScanGauge. It's a shame that they don't offer the JGC with the EcoDiesel any more, but guess they just never sold enough to justify the problems with the EPA/CARB issues.

The SW fix proposed for the EPA/CARB settlement should fix the "non-cheat" cheat that is present, but nothing points to fixes to the persistent sensor problems I've had. So I'm really leaning towards getting the SW fix/payout/extended emission warranty and then sell the JGC for a gas Gladiator. Rumor is SW fix should be available around May, which is right around when we will hopefully see Gladiators.

It looks like it's the same EcoDiesel planned for the Wrangler/Gladiator, and FCA has a few years experience with dealing with emissions systems on the JGC and Ram 1500 so hopefully they won't have as much of a learning curve this time around. The emission system will probably be different on Wrangler/Gladiator, but hopefully with lessons learned on JGC/RAM it will work better from the start.

For me, the JGC 4x4 with EcoDiesel had a towing spec of 7200 lb (though I've towed higher). The gas Gladiator Rubicon is 7000 lb, so pretty close to what I have now. I can't justify paying a $3k premium for the EcoDiesel Gladiator to have towing drop to ~6500 lb (depending on what the final diesel numbers end up being).

Dubya_TJ

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 CJ5, 87 YJ, 97 TJ, 98 2dr Cherokee, 99 TJ, 05 TJ Rubicon, 08 WK diesel, 2021 JT diesel
OP.... welcome to that same dilemma that many of us are in......

"I want a diesel, but I want it right meow"

....and meow the potential of having an inline 6 turbo as an option could sway my decision. I think for meow I will just have to stay off this site and focus on work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nate320

nate320

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just to be clear...I absolutely love the EcoDiesel. I bought my JGC Dec 2013 and I've got 90k miles on it. It tows like a dream and I was getting close to 30MPG highway before I put off-road tires on.

The problem with the EcoDiesel on my JGC is the emission system for the diesel exhaust. Rumors in 2013 with the delays in getting the EcoDiesel to market were challenges with getting the emissions working. Around fall 2013 timeframe they got approval and then they started hitting the market. The problems I've had with the exhaust system is I've had to take it to the dealer a couple of times to do a manual regen (even though it's suppose to regen automatically at highway speeds, and one SW update improved that) and I've had to replace several sensors on the emission side. I also have an occasional CEL that comes on, that the dealer hasn't been much help with (other than wanting to replace the system), and I just clear it with a ScanGauge. It's a shame that they don't offer the JGC with the EcoDiesel any more, but guess they just never sold enough to justify the problems with the EPA/CARB issues.

The SW fix proposed for the EPA/CARB settlement should fix the "non-cheat" cheat that is present, but nothing points to fixes to the persistent sensor problems I've had. So I'm really leaning towards getting the SW fix/payout/extended emission warranty and then sell the JGC for a gas Gladiator. Rumor is SW fix should be available around May, which is right around when we will hopefully see Gladiators.

It looks like it's the same EcoDiesel planned for the Wrangler/Gladiator, and FCA has a few years experience with dealing with emissions systems on the JGC and Ram 1500 so hopefully they won't have as much of a learning curve this time around. The emission system will probably be different on Wrangler/Gladiator, but hopefully with lessons learned on JGC/RAM it will work better from the start.

For me, the JGC 4x4 with EcoDiesel had a towing spec of 7200 lb (though I've towed higher). The gas Gladiator Rubicon is 7000 lb, so pretty close to what I have now. I can't justify paying a $3k premium for the EcoDiesel Gladiator to have towing drop to ~6500 lb (depending on what the final diesel numbers end up being).
You definitely relayed that in your post! That's what really got me to take a hard look at my needs versus getting one for shigs. The fact that you love your JGC but took an objective look at the Gladiator made me realize a diesel JT isn't for me; not in a bad way, I just couldn't justify it anymore. I'll stick with the gas model and leave the diesel to someone who will either use it or appreciate it more than I could. Thanks again for the input!

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
HeyOP thank you for your service. All speculation, but my hunch is random trickle at first followed by loud belch of total availability, meaning sit tight and have a choice, or grab what they got upon first deliveries to the lots. What's bugging me is if I do the impulse buy to get close enough, only to find out two months delayed gratification and my exact build will be sitting on a lot I have to drive by every day. Ordering from Idaho might solve it, but depends on price and the cost of high finance in downtown Boise.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
HeyOP thank you for your service. All speculation, but my hunch is random trickle at first followed by loud belch of total availability, meaning sit tight and have a choice, or grab what they got upon first deliveries to the lots. What's bugging me is if I do the impulse buy to get close enough, only to find out two months delayed gratification and my exact build will be sitting on a lot I have to drive by every day. Ordering from Idaho might solve it, but depends on price and the cost of high finance in downtown Boise.
pretty sure I read the deal with financing in Idaho was you had to keep it in place for 3 months. Even at a high APR 3 months won't make a huge difference. Then just pay it off or refi with your local bank/cu

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
You are right - Idaho is def doable. My first choice if this is a go price wise

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
pretty sure I read the deal with financing in Idaho was you had to keep it in place for 3 months. Even at a high APR 3 months won't make a huge difference. Then just pay it off or refi with your local bank/cu
Sounds like you can also make a very large payment the first month, which would bring total interest charged to close to zero (interest on full amount first month, then interest on a near zero balance until you can actually close the account in 3-6 mo). This assumes you don't need financing...
Sponsored