Sponsored

Payload increase

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Question: payload for the sport S with max tow package auto is 1535, and Overland auto is 1120... if you were to put let’s say the 2” mopar lift, which has heavy duty springs, would that increase the payload of the overland? And if so, by how much? Thanks so much for any info!!
Sponsored

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
Practically speaking, probably so, but from a "Legal" perspective no. The published payload number does not change with modifications. Payload is GVWR-dry weight-150 lb driver.

Folks that tow will sometimes install airbags to improve ride height and increase rear suspension stiffness, but the published payload # is what it is.

OP
OP
Krash1642

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ 7 (Bessie), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Bright White (DJ), 2016 Jeep JK Willy’s (traded for wife to get Ford Focus due to work), 2018 JLU Sahara (Wife’s traded for JT)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Practically speaking, probably so, but from a "Legal" perspective no. The published payload number does not change with modifications. Payload is GVWR-dry weight-150 lb driver.

Folks that tow will sometimes install airbags to improve ride height and increase rear suspension stiffness, but the published payload # is what it is.
Thanks for the response!!
I get the “legal” part of the statement... just wondered if it actually made a difference or not. the sport s with the max tow package is the most useful as far as payload goes for me and my uses... the wife loves leather interior and creature comforts of her Sahara (so overland for JT) and we would both prefer the white top (we are planning on white) of the overland versus the black top of the sport s. I need it to be useful for ALL of our tasks. I dont get the huge difference in payload from The sport s to the overland (415#)... if engine, transmission and axles are the same minus the axles being 1 1/2” wider... though maybe that’s the huge difference. if I know I am most likely gonna do a lift anyway and that would increase payload then an overland would be great (provided it’s in Our price range which i feel like I’ll never find that out, lol). And debating on which would be cheaper to do later, paint the black top white or add a lift... but I’d probably wanna add the lift with either model...

Centexan

First Name
Coleburn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ram 2500
I get what you are saying, and I don't get the difference in payload numbers, unless the axle/springs are not as strong? The Max tow has 4.10 axle ratio, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference in payload.

We had a similar discussion in another thread. There isn't a Max Tow Overland. I would think that would have a lot of appeal--people who want higher towing and payload numbers, want more creature comforts, but don't need the rock crawling features of the Rubicon.

OP
OP
Krash1642

Krash1642

First Name
C. Brown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
I get what you are saying, and I don't get the difference in payload numbers, unless the axle/springs are not as strong? The Max tow has 4.10 axle ratio, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference in payload.

We had a similar discussion in another thread. There isn't a Max Tow Overland. I would think that would have a lot of appeal--people who want higher towing and payload numbers, want more creature comforts, but don't need the rock crawling features of the Rubicon.
Yea I thought about the 4.10 axle but didn’t think that would impact payload... and I don’t understand why no max tow option with the overland, I agree I thin’ it would appeal to quite a few people. We love near the beach and drive on an average 4-5 days per week in the spring-summer-fall and a few days a month in winter, so no rock crawling and when I go back home to VA (in the mountains, it’s more trails to get to adventures like paddle boarding, mountain biking camping, hiking etc, so don’t really need the rubicon features. (Though it’s nice, but also out of our price range I’m sure).

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Also would love overland wide track and more money to upgrade! New question, similar though. So is the max tow going to lean forward? If it's higher in back to take the towed weight, is it actually higher bed than a regular truck? And if you add height to the front to even it out is that like a mini lift? I like a level truck.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Don't people with boats wanna tow their boat in style? Very odd overland has no max tow ability.

Oodaloop

First Name
Bora
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Saturn Sky Redline
This & This.

Don't people with boats wanna tow their boat in style? Very odd overland has no max tow ability.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager

I was thinking about this on the drive to work today. I 100% think this is deliberate. They'll release a Gladiator MOAB in 6 mos that has the max tow built in, or something similar. But it'll cost as much as a decently stocked Rubicon (ie. over 50k)
Sponsored