First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I'll stick with the Gasoline Engine. I jut an't get over the smell and the smoke that comes out of a diesel engine.
Sponsored

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I'll stick with the Gasoline Engine. I jut an't get over the smell and the smoke that comes out of a diesel engine.
Modern diesels don't do much of either(stock). It's not 1984 anymore. :P

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
Not interested in the diesel engine, in fact it wouldn't have made my list had they decided to only have the diesel at launch.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
Not interested in the diesel engine, in fact it wouldn't have made my list had they decided to only have the diesel at launch.
That's fine...just call me then when your H3 gets stuck in a snowbank or some gravel and I'll pull you out with my 4Runner or my diesel JT!:devil:
(I'm also in the St. Paul area- grew up there actually!)

BlackDog

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR / 2005 Grand Cherokee
How about resale value, is it fair to say a diesel will get more than a comparable gas? Not that I'll be looking to sell anytime soon. :)

Sponsored

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
That's fine...just call me then when your H3 gets stuck in a snowbank or some gravel and I'll pull you out with my 4Runner or my diesel JT!:devil:
(I'm also in the St. Paul area- grew up there actually!)
That would be something, since I've been unable to purposely get it stuck myself. This sort of machismo teasing still occurs on other forums? Interesting. Anyways, just been looking to try something new & different after 11+ years, nothing wrong with my existing rig (or my fuel preference)

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
That would be something, since I've been unable to purposely get it stuck myself. This sort of machismo teasing still occurs on other forums? Interesting. Anyways, just been looking to try something new & different after 11+ years, nothing wrong with my existing rig (or my fuel preference)
Pretty sure he was just teasing

MoaKane

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2005 LJ Unlimited, 2018 Audi Q3
How about resale value, is it fair to say a diesel will get more than a comparable gas? Not that I'll be looking to sell anytime soon. :)
Yes, fair to say. The Chevy dealer called me last week and said they cant keep enough ZR2 diesels on the floor and wanted to know if I would consider selling mine back to them. Well certainly I said. They made me a great deal and now Im ready for the JT LOL.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Yes, fair to say. The Chevy dealer called me last week and said they cant keep enough ZR2 diesels on the floor and wanted to know if I would consider selling mine back to them. Well certainly I said. They made me a great deal and now Im ready for the JT LOL.
How long have you had your ZR2 diesel? How much less did you get than what you paid?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've had diesel and gas Jeeps.

The diesel drives MUCH better. The huge torque at 2,000 RPM creates a totally different driving experience. So much so that going back to a gas Jeep is a difficult thing to get used to.

However, the EcoDiesel has a poor reputation for quality, costs several thousand more to buy, requires $100+ oil changes, requires more expensive fuel, isn't as nice in really cold weather, and costs a small fortune to repair after warranty expires. You will NEVER save money by going with the diesel. It just will not happen. And you may have to work on it more often also.

So unless you just really really really want that feel of the low end power, the diesel is a terrible choice.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
It's not that the diesel is a terrible choice at all...

Virtually every gas v. diesel discussion finds guys who are pro gas screaming that diesels are more expensive and that's true. I own a construction company and we probably have a dozen Diesel engines in one vehicle or another.

You don't buy a diesel truck to save money. Period.

You buy a diesel truck for low end power and better mileage, particularly as the trucks get bigger or the loads increase. I pay more for this increase in performance and am happy to do so. It's similar to the guys who buy bigger gas engines instead of the smaller 6 cylinder.

Personally, I am considering the diesel JT because I want to turn the truck into an overlanding vehicle and the diesel range will probably be worth the cost. I currently have the WK2 EcoDiesel so I am very familiar with its pros and cons.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
diesel range will probably be worth the cost.
Loved the range of my Jetta tdi. I know small vehicle, but range is key.
If I build an ovetlanding vehicle, not being stranded would be nice.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I get distance but (I'm asking) lookin at the 18 Grand Cherokee Diesel and 3.6 gas mileage the diesel use 4.2 gallons over 100 miles and the 3.6 uses 4.8 over 100 miles. so your looking at an extra 1.75 gallons so less then 40 extra miles. Is it really worth all the extra money, maintenance, and gas price for an extra 40 miles?

This is me asking the diesel guys the question, I was considering the diesel but looking at diesel prices, the extra maintenance etc... and the fact that the towing is 7000 with the rubicon 3.6 and i'm guessing the mpg is going to be close the benefit wasn't there for me. I can see if you need the low end torque maybe but it's still a lot of extra money.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get distance but (I'm asking) lookin at the 18 Grand Cherokee Diesel and 3.6 gas mileage the diesel use 4.2 gallons over 100 miles and the 3.6 uses 4.8 over 100 miles. so your looking at an extra 1.75 gallons so less then 40 extra miles. Is it really worth all the extra money, maintenance, and gas price for an extra 40 miles?
yeah if the difference is only 40 miles, then distance isn't that important to me.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
if you are towing the you will notice the difference in mpg or even fully loaded diesels do much better under load
Sponsored