Sponsored

FCA: I just 'intentionally' spent 5 Grand fixing old jeep. In case JT price is stupidly high. fyi

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Wow what a refreshing response. Not often we come across a grown ass man who can take criticism like a grown ass man. You sir impress me. I know what they said about pricing but that was a very long time ago and early in the program. Jeep can earn a premium on Gladiator because it is a Jeep.
My respect for you, thank you for calling me on it. Our JT fightnight is big hit, lots of views! We should go PPV and intentionally charge extra for Round II.

Everything considered, I'm down to this:

Is JT the top vehicle in the Jeep lineup?

Currently that honor goes to the Grand Cherokee priced at $31,695. GC is the only base model priced above thirty thousand dollars.

The base JLU is next highest price at $27,945.

That's $3,750 difference (thanks to steffen707).

Option A: JT Sport is priced less than JLU Sport, under $27,945.

Option B: JT Sport is priced same as JLU Sport, $27,945.

Option C: JT Sport has a premium between $1 and $3,749 (JT base model costs less than Grand Cherokee base model).

Option D: JT Sport has a premium above $3,750 and is the highest priced base model (ever) offered by Jeep.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think that when FCA stated that "...the Gladiator will be expensive, intentionally so." they weren't trying to announce "bubble pricing" as you coined it, but rather that the tech and ruggedness of the vehicle, if done properly and without compromise, would require them to make a substantial investment into both the development and production of the Gladiator. It is far and away the most capable Jeep ever made. What else does their lineup have that will be able to tow 7,600 lbs and 4 people and all of their gear and get it to the places that the Gladiator will have access to? All without being a 3-ton behemoth that can't be used anywhere remotely urban because of its size? I grow tired of the Raptor comparisons: this is in no way a direct competitor to the Raptor. Nearly as bad are the comparisons to the Ranger and the Colorado. While these 2, especially in their off-road trims, are more than capable for most mid-sized truck shopper's needs, they are simply different animals. The Gladiator's modular design alone separates it from nearly everything on the road, with or without a bed. The average modder can lift a Wrangler 3 inches in an afternoon, with a minimum of experience and equipment. Want a 4x4 convertible with a bed that can haul as much ass as you can fit in it anywhere you want to take it, that will get you home happy and safe and that you can hose down, inside and out at the end of the day? You have 1 choice: the Gladiator.

I have speculated much about price around here, and have been accused of stoking the hype as well as providing some sane insight. My bottom line is simple: The Gladiator is an over-engineered Swiss Army knife on wheels with absolutely no direct competitor fueling almost rabid interest from a following that started nearly a decade prior to its launch.

Tell me, what do you expect Jeep to price it at?
Agree with pretty much all of your points. And don't disagree with anything you said. Yes, JT is beyond compare. Yes, it could command a high price and people would buy (and that will be happening regardless at top trim levels). I do make a distinction, maybe others have said same thing and so I only say it again. That is I will buy it from Jeep if the price inlcudes a sensible option. I will buy it used if the price is stupid high at all price points. Meaning please Jeep, make a package available for 35K OTD with all the hardware and none of the software for those of us who just want an old school bad ass Jeep truck, because loyalty, because general pupose vehicle, because America, because Jeep leads in American Sensibility. Which other corporation can do it? Which can be in all markets like jeep reaches? Please Jeep send a message that hey, we Jeep favor Common Sense and Common Decency. Jeep, and no other company, can own that space. I'm asking that jeep consider offering a non bullshit, good package, for me, you, anyone, just because. End of rant

Wilk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Dakota
Either way in my humble opinion any vehicle that's priced over $50,000 is just crazy. At that point it's a total luxury and a toy. It's not the vehicle that gets you from point A to point B or your work vehicle.
Roughly $97000 for an f450 to tow new trailers from Indiana to B.C. or Alberta. That's an expensive work truck and it has some options added but to get trucks for long haul you are looking at well over $50000. No, it's not in the same category as a Gladiator but saying a work truck over $50000 is "total luxury and a toy" is over generalizing the truck segment.

Just wanted to point that out. Now, arguing against myself, a truck to just get you from point A to point B and maybe do some work around the house or haul some materials costing over $50000 is a bit of a luxury. But if it's what you want and can afford then I'd say enjoy the luxury in your toy.

Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
My respect for you, thank you for calling me on it. Our JT fightnight is big hit, lots of views! We should go PPV and intentionally charge extra for Round II.

Everything considered, I'm down to this:

Is JT the top vehicle in the Jeep lineup?

Currently that honor goes to the Grand Cherokee priced at $31,695. GC is the only base model priced above thirty thousand dollars.

The base JLU is next highest price at $27,945.

That's $3,750 difference (thanks to stephen707).

Option A: JT Sport is priced less than JLU Sport, under $27,945.

Option B: JT Sport is priced same as JLU Sport, $27,945.

Option C: JT Sport has a premium between $1 and $3,749 (JT base model costs less than Grand Cherokee base model).

Option D: JT Sport has a premium above $3,750 and is the highest priced base model (ever) offered by Jeep.
A base JLU sport starts at $31,445. A non-Unlimited JL starts at $27,945 however.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
A base JLU sport starts at $31,445. A non-Unlimited JL starts at $27,945 however.
Don't forget that the new Grand Cherokee is suppose to come out in 2020 and I would be surprised if the price didn't go up a couple thousand dollars from the prices now. The auto industry prices are going up as usual, Jeep will all go up as well. The Grand Cherokee next year and the Wagoneer/ Grand Wagoneer in 2022 (probably going to be a $70k+) vehicle. I think the only vehicle we can us to help judge price on a JT is the JL. I also think the price will be comparable to whatever the new Cherokee price is next year.

Sponsored

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
So, two commercials.

One celebrates history, unity, diversity, Jeep, American progress overcoming obstacles, The United States of America, the World, PEOPLE.

One requires issuance of a statement, short of an apology.

Which commercial better favors the leadership group responsible for pricing?

Sorry, just pondering the former celebrating times when the few took their responsibility for the many, compared to the latter when the few debase the past of the many, in favor of an always better future for the few.

Sheesh! I mean to say while engaged in my current process I'm wondering how the select are celebrating, while the many are still struggling needlessly in this mass of wealth.

Geez George, I should just say it's tax time. I'm doing taxes.

I'd rather be driving my JT around about now.

What pricing model again you say?

Thank you for reading again.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
FCA,

I have a beautiful jeep! I own it. I love it. It works. It's my 5th Jeep. I just spent five thousand dollars to get it running for the next couple of years. I could have spent that on a new truck purchased from your company, but I have some concerns.

First, I am happy and I can keep my existing Jeep, or not.

Second, I'd like to get the new JT. I've wanted the JT since 05! The Gladiator is beautiful and superior. Great great Jeep truck! My heart is saying yes to purchase.

However, I'm price sensitive. Whether I get my JT new from Jeep, or used from someone who got it from jeep, depends on MSRP, which is up to your company.

Really, depends whether JT is priced sensibly like the Cherokee, or priced insensibly like that $96,000 Jeep currently offered by your company.

Looking forward to pricing announcement!

Thanks for reading just one Jeep guy's opinion.

Thanks!
HEY . . . I just came from the "Deep Breaths" thread . . . mad some fun over their and thought I'd take some time to add to the fray here . Your 1st 2 short sentences flashed me back to the future, and my new 1971 FIAT ! I won't rehash those stories (see 'Deep Breath'), but, if you think FCA will even give this thread a glance with such a Looooong title, hmmm ?
It's also too angry (at Them) ! Remove the negative adjectives /adverbs ! ?

FCA - HELP, can I afford a JT? Here's my Jeep history . . .

Then go into your 5 jeep history and your love for your 2010 Liberty, that you feel the need to spend 5K on it NOW, because you fear the Price Shock coming soon to a Dealer near you ! And on and so forth . . . . .

Now this isn't really meant to be "serious" so please don't get upset - I truly do "feel" your anxiety - as I implied in my other comment at 'Deep Breath' and my FIAT days . I'm in a better situation now (retired Navy pension & Social Security) . Have a cool 2016 WK2, so I'm not going to say anything dumb about Your Now-scenario ! 5K does seem like a lot of Repairs for the Old Liberty ! 1st Gen.?
I see a few now and again here in the NorthWest . Small . A JT is gonna be BIG by comparison - heck even a JLU would be larger (or used JKU for that matter). I don't know 1st hand cause I NEVER buy anything "used," especially a vehicle !

I haven't read any of the commenting posts yet - I can only imagine . . . !
Let's hope Jeep comes to their senses - if indeed they still feel the need to be "greedy" ! You know physics . . . ha, it all depends on the "Laws" of Supply and Demand - so they will preach ! SAD ! It's how I may be "forced" out of my apartment after being here since day 1 (2010) of construction . "They" keep jacking the rent .

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
HEY . . . I just came from the "Deep Breaths" thread . . . mad some fun over their and thought I'd take some time to add to the fray here . Your 1st 2 short sentences flashed me back to the future, and my new 1971 FIAT ! I won't rehash those stories (see 'Deep Breath'), but, if you think FCA will even give this thread a glance with such a Looooong title, hmmm ?
It's also too angry (at Them) ! Remove the negative adjectives /adverbs ! ?

FCA - HELP, can I afford a JT? Here's my Jeep history . . .

Then go into your 5 jeep history and your love for your 2010 Liberty, that you feel the need to spend 5K on it NOW, because you fear the Price Shock coming soon to a Dealer near you ! And on and so forth . . . . .

Now this isn't really meant to be "serious" so please don't get upset - I truly do "feel" your anxiety - as I implied in my other comment at 'Deep Breath' and my FIAT days . I'm in a better situation now (retired Navy pension & Social Security) . Have a cool 2016 WK2, so I'm not going to say anything dumb about Your Now-scenario ! 5K does seem like a lot of Repairs for the Old Liberty ! 1st Gen.?
I see a few now and again here in the NorthWest . Small . A JT is gonna be BIG by comparison - heck even a JLU would be larger (or used JKU for that matter). I don't know 1st hand cause I NEVER buy anything "used," especially a vehicle !

I haven't read any of the commenting posts yet - I can only imagine . . . !
Let's hope Jeep comes to their senses - if indeed they still feel the need to be "greedy" ! You know physics . . . ha, it all depends on the "Laws" of Supply and Demand - so they will preach ! SAD ! It's how I may be "forced" out of my apartment after being here since day 1 (2010) of construction . "They" keep jacking the rent .
I agree it's long winded, and (deep breaths), angry. I'm just astounded that we ... Well I'm astounded. Sorry about your apt. That sucks! Those, them, they!!!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree it's long winded, and (deep breaths), angry. I'm just astounded that we ... Well I'm astounded. Sorry about your apt. That sucks! Those, them, they!!!
ALL THIS IS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN . . . REALLY ! Sarcasm, dry humor, wet- wit, wacky-wisdom . . . it's all here ! Oh, please don't ask me what "wet-wit" is ? It may cause me to pee in my pants again ! :CWL: :) :LOL: :clap: . Yours truly Geez George . . .

Sponsored

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
ALL THIS IS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN . . . REALLY ! Sarcasm, dry humor, wet- wit, wacky-wisdom . . . it's all here ! Oh, please don't ask me what "wet-wit" is ? It may cause me to pee in my pants again ! :CWL: :) :LOL: :clap: . Yours truly Geez George . . .
Wet-wit? wth is that? Never heard of it. ... ....?

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No need to be "sorry about the apt." - that's Gentrification at work (for us all) ! the grand-plan to save us all from each other !
I'm doing just FINE Financially (keep that quietly to your self, wouldn't want the neighbors to know I stash large bills under my mattress ! (?) ;)

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
No need to be "sorry about the apt." - that's Gentrification at work (for us all) ! the grand-plan to save us all from each other !
I'm doing just FINE Financially (keep that quietly to your self, wouldn't want the neighbors to know I stash large bills under my mattress ! (?) ;)
That makes my day. Gentrification used on a car forum!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wet-wit? wth is that? Never heard of it. ... ....?
Keep this under your belt . . . it's made up . . . it's wit so funny it makes you pee in your pants ! Ever have one of those beer busting belly moments when you laughed SO HARD (maybe farted too) and oops, squirted a bit ? Now, be honest, I have at least 2 old college buddies (& me too, makes 3) that have done this . :CWL: . . . this can do it to ! ;)

OP
OP
5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Keep this under your belt . . . it's made up . . . it's wit so funny it makes you pee in your pants ! Ever have one of those beer busting belly moments when you laughed SO HARD (maybe farted too) and oops, squirted a bit ? Now, be honest, I have at least 2 old college buddies (& me too, makes 3) that have done this . :CWL: . . . this can do it to ! ;)
Lol. I walked right into that. =_=
Sponsored