Sponsored

Why do you like or dislike Auto start stop (ESS)?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I like it because it saves me fuel, and fuel = cash, and cash buys groceries and Jeep parts.

The ESS system on my JLU died in October. I finally got it to the dealership in November. They worked on it off and on for several weeks and I got the Jeep back in December. My Fuelly data showed a noticeable hit to my fuel economy while ESS was dead.

ESSworks.jpg
Sponsored

Flamma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Trailhawk, 2017 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A
I like it because it saves me fuel, and fuel = cash, and cash buys groceries and Jeep parts.

The ESS system on my JLU died in October. I finally got it to the dealership in November. They worked on it off and on for several weeks and I got the Jeep back in December. My Fuelly data showed a noticeable hit to my fuel economy while ESS was dead.

ESSworks.jpg
WXman,

Based on your data(using the 17 mpg and 18 mpg only). I'm not incorporating highway mpg since ESS isn't really utilised.

Also the following assumptions: 1 tank of gas per week, 20 gallon tank and $3 per gallon.

Your cost savings = $2.64 per month.

Cost to purchase the ESS engine: 2k 2.5k 3k ? Depends where you buy it and at invoice or msrp.

Once your warranty expires:

Cost to replace a wrangler starter: $250-400.
Cost to replace main battery: 175-200
Cost to replace aux ESS battery: Unknown
Cost to replace dead instrument panel, radio freq hub, keyless ignition, power control relay, fuses...: yikes

Cost to tow vehicle: ouch
Cost for rental 's while jeep in shop: sweet

Profit for Jeep: WIN

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
As ridiculous as this is going to sound but if the Jeep truck comes standard with this silliness I am probably going to by a Tundra. I know its apples to oranges but i was holding out for the jeep because I want a stick shift but if I cant get a decent 4x4 stick my next check choice was a Tundra since the Taco is awful now.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I don't like it on our JL and I may be wrong but i don't think it saves on gas the amount of gas saved by it being off is used by it starting. I sit in traffic but very rarely stopped for along period of time. It has just become part of me getting in the Jeep press the button start press the off button on the dash, not that big if deal love the Jeep press an extra button.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
As ridiculous as this is going to sound but if the Jeep truck comes standard with this silliness I am probably going to by a Tundra. I know its apples to oranges but i was holding out for the jeep because I want a stick shift but if I cant get a decent 4x4 stick my next check choice was a Tundra since the Taco is awful now.
You can permanently disable with OBDII chips. I think Procal allows this option or superchips. Actually I think both do but I can't remember for sure, at least one of them does.

Sponsored

Joe333x

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 6sp
You can permanently disable with OBDII chips. I think Procal allows this option or superchips. Actually I think both do but I can't remember for sure, at least one of them does.
I did see one thing that just automatically disables it when you start the car but it needs to remain in the OBD port all the time. I know its one of those things you can just remember to shut off everytime but the fact that you're still paying to have the stupid system in the first place, it should be an added option or at least just on the top models or on automatics, not standard across the board. The fact that they would put this inane system in a manual transmission jeep is just so asinine.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I did see one thing that just automatically disables it when you start the car but it needs to remain in the OBD port all the time. I know its one of those things you can just remember to shut off everytime but the fact that you're still paying to have the stupid system in the first place, it should be an added option or at least just on the top models or on automatics, not standard across the board. The fact that they would put this inane system in a manual transmission jeep is just so asinine.
They probably do it because of epa testing saying it works. If they raise the average MPG on 200,000 vehicles, that's a lot in taxes/epa fees, or whatever they call it.

If a company isn't increasing their average MPG, its costing them, unfortunately, it makes the jeep more expensive, and most folks on here don't like it.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Very glad to hear that you get into a routine button push when you get in, and that ess turns off for real. That swerve control in mine follows no such command and dings when it should be silent and enjoy the swerve, and it disables other functions while malfunctioning itself. I get it helps keep a jeep shiny side up, but seriously, I don't need or want any of this tech. I do know how to drive.

Second, so the truck works after the thing breaks -terrific news. Much easier to break it rather than to pay some other guy for a computer chip I don't want. That's just me, totally understand the Eco value and folks wanting an actual workaround. Hehe, my multitool has it's first job, short out , crack, or otherwise defunction whatever the ESS is, or whatever feeds it without causing lights to flash, alarms. Maybe I'll just wait until it croaks.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
WXman,

Based on your data(using the 17 mpg and 18 mpg only). I'm not incorporating highway mpg since ESS isn't really utilised.

Also the following assumptions: 1 tank of gas per week, 20 gallon tank and $3 per gallon.

Your cost savings = $2.64 per month.

Cost to purchase the ESS engine: 2k 2.5k 3k ? Depends where you buy it and at invoice or msrp.

Once your warranty expires:

Cost to replace a wrangler starter: $250-400.
Cost to replace main battery: 175-200
Cost to replace aux ESS battery: Unknown
Cost to replace dead instrument panel, radio freq hub, keyless ignition, power control relay, fuses...: yikes

Cost to tow vehicle: ouch
Cost for rental 's while jeep in shop: sweet

Profit for Jeep: WIN
I drive 1,500 miles per month roughly. Some people drive less, some a lot more. But at 1,500 miles per month, 1 MPG equals about $12.50 per month at $2.50/gallon. As gas prices go back up soon, the savings will be even greater. People who drive a lot, or pay more for fuel, or who see greater than 1 MPG difference (which I did at times according to my data) will potentially see $20/month savings or more from the ESS system.

And why are you mentioning the cost of buying an engine, starter, battery, etc? Are you assuming the ESS system is going to kill the engine? Engines with ESS are designed for long life. They have upgraded starters and flywheels. Oil still coats the bearings, seals, pistons, etc. during an ESS cycle. It's not adding wear and tear to the engine in any significant way. There is absolutely no evidence that ESS engines and components die faster than the same engine without ESS.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I don't like it because I have been driving for 35+ years, and it is ingrained in my consciousness that if the vehicle 'dies' when you did not turn the key switch off, something is wrong & you are now an obstacle in traffic and in a potentially dangerous situation.
It's as simple as that-
Whether my brain will accept new programming that it is OK when this happens remains to be seen :blush:

Sponsored

Flamma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Trailhawk, 2017 Dodge Challenger 392 T/A
I drive 1,500 miles per month roughly. Some people drive less, some a lot more. But at 1,500 miles per month, 1 MPG equals about $12.50 per month at $2.50/gallon. As gas prices go back up soon, the savings will be even greater. People who drive a lot, or pay more for fuel, or who see greater than 1 MPG difference (which I did at times according to my data) will potentially see $20/month savings or more from the ESS system.

And why are you mentioning the cost of buying an engine, starter, battery, etc? Are you assuming the ESS system is going to kill the engine? Engines with ESS are designed for long life. They have upgraded starters and flywheels. Oil still coats the bearings, seals, pistons, etc. during an ESS cycle. It's not adding wear and tear to the engine in any significant way. There is absolutely no evidence that ESS engines and components die faster than the same engine without ESS.
- Cool man!

If ESS makes you feel all warm and fuzzy - then it's a good thing. If you are happy, that's what matters.

I just happen to not agree with what you state, or the theory behind ESS; but I respect your beliefs and choices.

- Enjoy your Jeep!

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link

Doesn't the Belt Start Generator on the JL function as the ESS starter? If that's the case, it would not increase wear on the regular starter or flywheel, but would still potentially increase repair cost if it went out.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Doesn't the Belt Start Generator on the JL function as the ESS starter? If that's the case, it would not increase wear on the regular starter or flywheel, but would still potentially increase repair cost if it went out.
That is true on 2.0T, the other engines do not have BSG but they do still have ESS.

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I have auto stop-start in my Audi. I always turn it off and unfortunately there is no way to disable it permanently.

The biggest reason I don’t like it is SAFETY. Even though the engine restarts when you lift your foot off the brake there is a noticeable very brief moment of hesitation. That moment could be the amount of time you need to move out of the way and/or gun it to avoid or lessen the severity of an accident.

Jeepin Weekend

First Name
Easton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 2 Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Not to get all PC on everyone, but I do think Global Warming is something that everyone should be concerned about, however, I'm not sure how an ESS is really going to help the environment at all... seen a lot of mixed opinions on ESS systems and whether they really matter in the grand scheme of things. Though, I'm not letting that be the deciding factor on whether I get a JT or not. I plan to do some comparisons of my own with it on/off to see if there really is a difference. If it's as insignificant/annoying as I expect it to be I may just turn it off.
Sponsored