Sponsored

Possible bad news

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
Remember that time they released a G Wagon with crank windows.... oh wait...
Yeah actually there's plenty of em. If you actually read the post the key word is "could." But Mercedes will never try to compete with Jeep in the US. My guess is they would see doing so as beneath them. Just as in my opinion Jeep has no intention of trying to compete with rest of the "midsize" truck market on price.
Sponsored

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
So you don't know what lifestyle truck means but you do no the ranger is not one:facepalm:

So Jeep plan is to intentionally price most folks out of the market on this truck but still chose to bring out a base sport model with crank windows and manual door locks? :angry::computerrage: It makes no sense.
No I don't think the Ranger is strictly a lifestyle truck. Unless a $24,000 2 door 2 wheel drive truck is your idea of a "lifestyle". Seeing as your from Ohio it might be (I kid kind of, I was born there and still have family there thank god my parents had the sense to move away when I was 3). Yep that's what I'm saying. You may be able to get a bare bones Sport with roll up windows for around $40,000 if you must have it good luck finding one on a lot though. Will be about as easy as finding a bare bones Wrangler given at least in my area you can't find a Rubicon with a manual much less a Sport. Again just my opinion but this isn't meant to "compete" in the mid size truck market. Maybe the base Sport Gladiator will compete with very well optioned Ranger, Tacoma, ZR2. You guys thinking your going to into Sport for just above $30,000 are crazy.

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If that is Jeep's plan/intention (not to compete with other 'mid-size trucks on price) = dumb business model, both short-term and long-term...

Since Jeep's free cash flow subsidizes all 3 other Fiat's U.S. brands (Dodge, Ram, Chrysler) the theory would be to maximize profit velocity by volume and price. If you add the free cash flow from all the Dodge Challengers/Chargers/Durangos and the Ram 1500/2500/3500's sold, it doesn't come close to Jeep's cash flow. So Jeep invests $$$'s to bring another version of the most profitable vehicle that make, only to stifle the revenue stream by over-pricing the new version, just because they can?

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
Yeah but some people buy $200 butter knives (see Tiffany's). Mercedes could easily make a $40,000 G wagon and seriously compete with Jeep Wrangler but they choose not to. Jeep could easily make a 2 door 2 wheel drive entry level Gladiator and try to sell it to Fleet buyers as every other midsize manufacturer does but they've chosen not to. Call it a midsize, call it a convertible truck whatever. But I think Ford has already made the business case for midsize "lifestyle" trucks not being marketed to price sensitive consumers (i.e FX4 Lariat with a sticker that is just as high if not higher than a more capable F150 sans the leather, fancy off road cruise control and wood grain). It's just my opinion and I've been wrong before but I think the Gladiators are being marketed to the Tiffany's/G-Wagon/look at my new cool thing Instagram crowd. Not Joe six pack who needs a reasonably priced capable truck.
I don't know what's going to happen with price or even what Jeeps thought process is. But I can guarantee you that the Gladiator is not being marketed to the same people who buy a G wagon (base price $124K). They are nowhere near the same vehicle no matter how you look at it. If the price of the Gladiator is anywhere close $100k then they waisted their time, why because if you are going to pay that you could have had one already from AEV with a HEMI. AS others have said You don't go after that crowd with a vehicle with manual windows and cloth interior.

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
I don't know what's going to happen with price or even what Jeeps thought process is. But I can guarantee you that the Gladiator is not being marketed to the same people who buy a G wagon (base price $124K). They are nowhere near the same vehicle no matter how you look at it. If the price of the Gladiator is anywhere close $100k then they waisted their time, why because if you are going to pay that you could have had one already from AEV with a HEMI. AS others have said You don't go after that crowd with a vehicle with manual windows and cloth interior.
Agreed its not going to be 100K, but I doubt its going to 30k either. Using G Wagon as an over exaggeration of the target market.

Sponsored

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
Jacob. Are you a buyer of the Sport JT at $50,000?
My heart says yes, my mind says that's a really dumb thing to do. I like everyone else am purely speculating. Hopefully I'm wrong. But from what I read and seen I think this is going to be a really expensive truck. Look at the price people were willing to pay for conversions a couple years ago (I'm sure Jeep is aware), plus the comments from Jeep itself, plus the current state of the auto industry and auto loan industry.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
My heart says yes, my mind says that's a really dumb thing to do. I like everyone else am purely speculating. Hopefully I'm wrong. But from what I read and seen I think this is going to be a really expensive truck. Look at the price people were willing to pay for conversions a couple years ago (I'm sure Jeep is aware), plus the comments from Jeep itself, plus the current state of the auto industry and auto loan industry.
I see. So you are just very confused. Glad you cleared that up for us.:CWL::punch:

jacob66999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ Wrangler
I see. So you are just very confused. Glad you cleared that up for us.:CWL::punch:
Confused about what? Do you know more than I do? You think its going to be $30 K I don't. Unless you are secretly executive at FCA your just as confused as me.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
My point is consumer reports set the range close to JLU prices, not way higher. Do you and everyone believe consumer reports is the question...

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
My point is consumer reports set the range close to JLU prices, not way higher. Do you and everyone believe consumer reports is the question...
I believe no one knows yet.

I also believe in common sense and that Jeep does not want to become a laughing stock of the universe by putting a price tag of $50,000 on a truck with roll up windows and push down locks.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Did anyone else stop to think that the now infamous “intentionally so” quote was just in reference to the lowest of the low end of the competitions trucks. I believe this is the case, in that the Gladiator is only available in 4wd crew cab. It only comes with Dana 44 axles and many other things that a regular cab 2wd Tacoma would not have like quality cloth seats instead of vinyl? The debate on what a “lifestyle truck” is makes no sense to me. Is a loaded Taco a lifestyle truck? Or how bout a Ranger or Chevy? Unless it is outfitted as a work truck and it is purchased to supplement your lifestyle, whatever that is, then it is a “lifestyle truck!” I would argue that a King Ranch F150 with a 3.0 Powerstroke is a lifestyle truck if your lifestyle is pulling a camper around in the country on weekends. Same to the Platinum F450 if you haul a 35 foot fift wheel all over America.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
how many conversions were really done? 50-100?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
they're guessing like everybody else. only the bean counters at jeep know for sure.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i'm sure this has been brought up but i can't remember it specifically. Here goes.

If jeep doesn't want to cannibalize their wrangler sales of 200,000 units (last year)assuming that a wrangler buyer is into the "lifestyle vehicle market", and will pay more for a lifestyle vehicle, AND they're not competing with the mid-sized truck competition, who exactly do they think are going to buy these 75,000 Gladiators, IF THEY'RE SUPER HIGH PRICED?

The only way to move 75,000 extra "lifestyle" vehicles into the marketplace is to appeal to a buyer who is not already in the market to buy anything, OR convince a buyer of another segment (SUV OR TRUCK) to switch to the Gladiator.

We've heard somebody say it could be the G-wagon crowd, but I personally don't think the Gladiator is luxury enough for that market segment. The most obvious would be mid-sized truck.

I tried to find data about how many $50,000+ SUVs were sold worldwide in 2018, and also how many midsized trucks were sold worldwide, but that's pretty specific data. This link definately had some good insight, maybe FCA could pull this stunt (making the gladiator intentionally expensive) off, but i doubt it.

https://www.jato.com/global-domination-suvs-continues-2017/
Sponsored