Sponsored

Thoughts on Cause of Payload Differences?

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Any idea why the pay load would be 500# difference between the sport (without max tow) and the overland?
upload_2019-2-4_12-41-53.png
Sponsored

SIXGUNRUGER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Subaru Outback, 1988 BMW R100GS, 1998 Honda Valkyrie
Because all the extras that the Overland has weigh more. The more options you put on a vehicle the more it takes away from the carrying capacity. I haven't looked at the numbers but I would bet that the Rubicon is even lower.

OP
OP
bangolia

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Because all the extras that the Overland has weigh more. The more options you put on a vehicle the more it takes away from the carrying capacity. I haven't looked at the numbers but I would bet that the Rubicon is even lower.
So I thought that at first but the weight difference is like 70# (or 31.8kg for all no Americans)

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
Could be the way the suspension is tuned. The overland may have softer suspension tuned for comfort which could cause the 500# difference. That is the only idea I have at the moment.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
It’s probably the spring rate differences between the various models. The softer/ more comfortable the ride the lower the carrying capacity...

Sponsored

SIXGUNRUGER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Subaru Outback, 1988 BMW R100GS, 1998 Honda Valkyrie
Yeah, thinking about it again, it would take a shit load of options to add up to 500lbs. I've also been looking/thinking about getting a Power Wagon for a few years now and its low payload number amazes me. The Gladiator has a higher payload than the 3/4 ton Power Wagon! Well at least the Sport model will. ;)

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
The sport without the Max Tow only has a payload of 1105 with the 8 speed vs the Overlands 1120. The Max Tow package gives it the Rubicons wider axles and upgraded suspension putting it at the 1535 Payload.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
The suspension, vehicle weight, axle width, gearing and tire size cause the differences. Also, just remember, if you lift it, those numbers go out the window.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
The suspension, vehicle weight, axle width, gearing and tire size cause the differences. Also, just remember, if you lift it, those numbers go out the window.
Why does lifting it change the payload rating? I'm not disagreeing, but i just don't know why.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
Why does lifting it change the payload rating? I'm not disagreeing, but i just don't know why.
Maybe not the payload, but the towing could be affected. Also bigger tires would mean you have to re-gear it to keep the max tow, as max tow between the 3.73 and 4.10 is different in the specs listed on here.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Gecko nailed it. The difference is the hardware.

Given the same vehicle, axles, suspension, etc., the only differences you'll find in payload relate to options on each vehicle. An Overland or Rubicon will have less payload because they've got more equipment.

THEN you have the Max Tow package, which is only available on the Sport, that includes different axles, brakes, cooling, etc. Heck, even the wheels are stamped with higher load capacity. It's a specific package that's engineered for more heavy duty work.

So, there are two things going on here.

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Gecko nailed it. The difference is the hardware.

Given the same vehicle, axles, suspension, etc., the only differences you'll find in payload relate to options on each vehicle. An Overland or Rubicon will have less payload because they've got more equipment.

THEN you have the Max Tow package, which is only available on the Sport, that includes different axles, brakes, cooling, etc. Heck, even the wheels are stamped with higher load capacity. It's a specific package that's engineered for more heavy duty work.

So, there are two things going on here.
Please remember that the Rubicon trim level comes standard with the "tow package" set up if I remember correctly. At least the axles for sure.

Gecko-JKU

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Gecko Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Gone but not forgotten), 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Toyota 4 Runner
According to Jeep, the shocks and springs are tuned to be more off road worthy (i.e. possibly softer springs and the Fox shocks vs the standard HD shocks and springs on the Sport) hence not being able to tow the full 7650, but still able to tow 7000. The springs and the 33" tires probably attribute to the loss of the 650lbs of towing in the Rubicon.
Sponsored