Sponsored

PIG - Plug-In-Gladiator in 2020?.....

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Didn't know this was a thing for Wrangler.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/jeep-wrangler-plug-in-hybrid-on-track-for-2020-launch/

Since most of what's on the Wrangler is on the Gladiator, I wonder if they're doing a PIG (Plug-In-Gladiator) too or not. (I want all the credit for the PIG acronym when it becomes common, like the PACHY = Pacifica Hybrid)

I know most of you hate ESS, so I doubt many would be interested/thrilled about a PIG in their driveway, but I have a PACHY and its awesome. I plug it in ever night, and the next day, my wife drives up to 33 miles on electricity only.

Electricity in Central Wisconsin is $0.099 per Kilowatt hour. It takes 13.6 kilowatts to charge up the PACHY. So she can drive 33 miles on $1.3662 of electricity.

Even if a gasoline only minivan gets 33mpg, locally that would cost $2.16 or 58% more than the electricity cost.

So, i would like a PIG because i plan to commute less than 33 miles most days and could do it for less on electricity than gas.

Now before the FLAMING BEGINS :angry::no::devil: A fully optioned out PACHY limited cost about $50,000. A fully optioned out gasoline only Pacifica limited also cost about $50,000, But i get a $7,500 tax credit this year for buying the hybrid. FCA might still be under the 250,000 phase out units when a PIG arrives. If it does, i'm buying a PIG :champagne:
Sponsored

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
This is the one I want to wait for, but it has to be trail rated, have a decent payload capacity and be able to tow at least a couple thousand pounds. I don't expect the full payload or tow capacity that the gasser models have. But it still has to be a truck.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I'm not opposed to an electric vehicle, they get so much torque and it starts when you put your foot on the pedal. I don't expect one on the Gladiator for a while, but I'll be curious to see where it all goes from here. The only thing that would keep me out of the PIG is the range, I plan to tow and do overland length trips with this truck as the means to get there... if I can get a hybrid that can get enough juice from driving all day (like a Prius) but still give me the fun oomph of a petrol burner... I'd be interested.

The Rivian truck really piques my interest.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Now before the FLAMING BEGINS :angry::no::devil:
Hold on!! before the pitchforks come out, Jeep said Plug In Hybrid for the JL wrangler. Hybrid part is very important here, means it still requires dead dinosaur juice to drive and don't need to sit around and wait for a charge. Very important detail for this village.

Jeep has said that they are very unlikely to go full electric since there are no charging stations on the rubicon. ( i believe this was a video interview during the JL launch with Mike Manley).

Sponsored

FrankInNordale

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Once all cars go electric its going to be fun to see how they fuel the power plants that create all the electricity. Maybe once they stop all the cow farts and eliminate planes things won't be so bad.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Then It would be PIHG.. (still credit to you @steffen707 ) lol
I appreciate this Malarkey! Is this from Band of Brothers, or your real name?.....anyways

Hold on!! before the pitchforks come out, Jeep said Plug In Hybrid for the JL wrangler. Hybrid part is very important here, means it still requires dead dinosaur juice to drive and don't need to sit around and wait for a charge. Very important detail for this village.

Jeep has said that they are very unlikely to go full electric since there are no charging stations on the rubicon. ( i believe this was a video interview during the JL launch with Mike Manley).
Yeah hybrid. My Pachy is a 3.6L V6 plus wind/water juice.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the one I want to wait for, but it has to be trail rated, have a decent payload capacity and be able to tow at least a couple thousand pounds. I don't expect the full payload or tow capacity that the gasser models have. But it still has to be a truck.
SHOOT, the PIHG is screwed....maybe.

The PACHY is rated at ZERO towing. Probably because they just didn't wanna test it and warranty it. If the Wrangler gets the hybrid treatment, i'm assuming it'll have payload and towing ratings.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not opposed to an electric vehicle, they get so much torque and it starts when you put your foot on the pedal. I don't expect one on the Gladiator for a while, but I'll be curious to see where it all goes from here. The only thing that would keep me out of the PIG is the range, I plan to tow and do overland length trips with this truck as the means to get there... if I can get a hybrid that can get enough juice from driving all day (like a Prius) but still give me the fun oomph of a petrol burner... I'd be interested.

The Rivian truck really piques my interest.
Well our Pachy is supposed to get 566 mile range and only a 16.5 gallon tank. So hopefully the PIHG would have a 20 gallon tank plus a whole bed for auxiliary fuel tanks.

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I appreciate this Malarkey! Is this from Band of Brothers, or your real name?.....anyways

Yeah hybrid. My Pachy is a 3.6L V6 plus wind/water juice.
Malarkey, he one wise dude ! Obe-1 wise . Pay attention and learn . Now, for shits & giggles, I'd be interested in a HYBRID but only if I had an "electrified garage," AND only if my Rubi-gladiator was my Daily Mall-Crawling Driver ! THAT will never happen . . . :CWL: :clap: !

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Once all cars go electric its going to be fun to see how they fuel the power plants that create all the electricity. Maybe once they stop all the cow farts and eliminate planes things won't be so bad.
Ha. I read a story on this today. I’ll avoid getting political, but let’s just say it was missing logic...

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malarkey, he one wise dude ! Obe-1 wise . Pay attention and learn . Now, for shits & giggles, I'd be interested in a HYBRID but only if I had an "electrified garage," AND only if my Rubi-gladiator was my Daily Mall-Crawling Driver ! THAT will never happen . . . :CWL: :clap: !
My rubiglator will be mostly mall crawling, but.......... The occasional deer hunting trail. But hey, already put a 90amp sub panel in my garage. Ready for dual 40amp level 2 chargers!

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
My rubiglator will be mostly mall crawling, but.......... The occasional deer hunting trail. But hey, already put a 90amp sub panel in my garage. Ready for dual 40amp level 2 chargers!
Hey if your gonna give it a name you must capitalize it - Rubigator ! You so lucky - Garage attached to a House WITH Electricity . . . I am Very Envious, and jealous too ! Stay Warm over there !