Sponsored

JT vs Honda Ridgeline

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I drove the Ridgeline when I bought my wife's Pilot. Driving characteristics were very similar. Very smooth engine, not as finicky a transmission (especially when the Pilot is in Eco mode), good, not great, brakes, excellent interior comfort/sound dampening. In fact, the interior (and the whole truck, for that matter) is identical to the Pilot from the front seats forward. It has all of the creature comforts of a full-sized SUV, especially in the higher trims (I drove a Black Edition, which was pretty sweet). Though it's worlds apart from the JT, I think it has a similar spirit, in that it is built upon a very popular current model SUV, but with a bed. It also has a lot of the cool little touches that we've come to expect from Jeeps, and better (like locking trunk/tailgating cooler). Plus, at $45k fully loaded, it's way cheaper.

All that said, it just doesn't, for better or worse, feel like a truck. It would absolutely fit all of my needs, but I don't think it would ever make me smile like a Jeep does. Plus, when I took the top off of the Ridgeline, the dealer got really pissed...
my buddy has a gen 1 ridgeline. Maybe its because the last truck i drove was a 1996 chevy s10, but the ridgeline felt big to me. Hoping the JT doesn't feel that way, but if it does, i'll just get use to it i think.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Ill list a few negative comparisions between the G RL and JT. IMO, the closest competitor to the JT is the Tacoma or Ranger and not the RL. The Taco and JT are very capable off road, next would be the Ranger, then the GM twins and finally the RL. 1. The RL is not capable off-road as it only has 7.87 inches of clearance. Basically it will barely clear your typical curb or center median. A Subaru is more off-road worthy by far. The RL does fine in the snow and sand, but anything with large rocks or steep approach/departure angles and it's toast. The RL has very poor undercarriage protection and many owners have damaged their undercarriage and drive-lines on light off-road trails. The RL is not easily lifted or leveled due to the suspension design. 2. The RL only tows up to 5k with AWD, the JT will got to 7600. 3. The RL transmission has been found to overheat when towing or off-roading at low speeds due to the constant articulation of the AWD system. 4. The RL has some owners complaining of mystery dents in the bed sidewalls, likely from the unibody construction and frame flex. 5. RL owners are complaining about poor brakes, transmission issues, body hardware integrity, and rattles. 6. You have to jump up to very expensive trim levels (RTL-E/Black) to get active safety features and you have to jump to the RTL-T to get a decent dash monitor. 7. Hood jiggles from crosswind due to lightweight construction. 8. Real pain in the rear if you have to jump the vehicle. 9. Frequent transmission and differential changes that are set to maintenance minders ( like every 30k if you tow at all).

Go to Ridgelineownersclub.com lots of good info there.

If you decide against the JT, I'd suggest checking out the Ranger in a few months once prices cool down. The Ranger is more comfortable, refined, lots of tech options, standard active safety features, and more economical than the Taco. The Ranger FX4 is also decent enough off-road to get you most places.
welp, the RL is out for me. I need to read on to see you shoot holes into the other competitors.

I would like to see what the list of problems with the JT will be. JL would probably be a close comparison.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I don;t doubt that the Honda is a nice vehicle, I just never liked the lines of the vehicle on the way it looks.

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
I know it has gotten some flak in another thread, but I am now considering this "truck" if the JT comes in too high on price . The Ridgeline gets good reviews and seems to be closest to the JT in terms of lifestyle features, while having a decent sized interior space. It also has a slightly longer bed .I know the front looks like spit, but I think it is something others could consider. Looks like you can actually get "deals" on them too. I know it's nowhere near the Jeep in off road abilities but that isn't where the majority of JT daily drivers will spend their time. Other than the non-locking tailgate and small spare tire space, what do people think about it?
The biggest thing that will help decide (other then price) is.. What do you plan on using it for?!?!
Just need more space in the back?
Plan on off roading?
Enjoy customizing your vehicle?
Do you just need a truck?

Thinking about these things could help you pick and maybe help us give feedback.

A few things to keep in mind is the Ridgeline is uni-body and shares a platform with the pilot. Probably no problem if you are okay with getting an SUV but just liking the truck look and utility that comes with having a bed to put things in. I remember the Explorer sport track, was more SUV then truck but they were pretty cool and useful. To me the Ridgeline is more for city use and more of a tool then a part of your life. Where any SUV will do just fine but you need to carry a few bags of dirt, or buying big (not heavy) things that are tricky to get in a lift gate but easy to throw in a big open box.

on the other side... its a Jeep. Yes this gets used a lot around here (mostly in a positive manner). But there is something about cruising around in a jeep that simply has no equal. The feeling (not the ride quality lol), the history, the look, and most importantly the Jeep wave! If you have driven a wrangler, you probably already know what I'm talking about, but if you have not, I HIGHLY recommend going and test driving a new JL wrangler.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don;t doubt that the Honda is a nice vehicle, I just never liked the lines of the vehicle on the way it looks.
the old one or new one?

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
The "old" one was very much like the Chevy 1500 of its day, as i recall ! I think it may of been a joint venture ? SO yea that Honda was "big". The New Ridgeline is more a car than truck, imo, NOT off road worthy by comparison to any jeep !
But, if Honda were to joint venture with jeep - that'll never happen; and make the front-end a bit more manly, I'd consider it ! ?

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
The "old" one was very much like the Chevy 1500 of its day, as i recall ! I think it may of been a joint venture ? SO yea that Honda was "big". The New Ridgeline is more a car than truck, imo, NOT off road worthy by comparison to any jeep !
But, if Honda were to joint venture with jeep - that'll never happen; and make the front-end a bit more manly, I'd consider it ! ?
Nah, the Ridgeline was always a pickup car. You might be thinking of the Chevy Avalanche, which was full-size but had the weird cladding on the side that resembled the Ridgeline's sloping c-pillars.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Nah, the Ridgeline was always a pickup car. You might be thinking of the Chevy Avalanche, which was full-size but had the weird cladding on the side that resembled the Ridgeline's sloping c-pillars.
Yea that's the one . . . were Honda & Chevy working together on those ?

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So we're to the point of cross shopping a FWD unibody car with a one piece body stamped to resemble a cargo box at the rear 1/3rd against a RWD ladder-frame truck with a separate box mounted to the frame?

Do what??

I don't understand how these two vehicles could be cross-shopped. If you line up every single midsize truck in the segment, the Ridgeline and Gladiator would be on polar opposite ends.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So we're to the point of cross shopping a FWD unibody car with a one piece body stamped to resemble a cargo box at the rear 1/3rd against a RWD ladder-frame truck with a separate box mounted to the frame?

Do what??

I don't understand how these two vehicles could be cross-shopped. If you line up every single midsize truck in the segment, the Ridgeline and Gladiator would be on polar opposite ends.
Well if somebody didn't want to go offroading, but wanted a truck with cool features, I see how they could be cross-shopped.
But when i look at a loaded Ridgeline (edit), i think......for this money, i might as well have a real truck that can go off-road, and looks cooler, Rubicon JT.

Last edited:

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link

Do what??

500 bonus points awarded for the Do what stuck in the middle of an excellent rant about the fact that apples still do not equal oranges. My gawd Jeep, drop a price, stop the madness!!!

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mercedes CLK350, 2016 Lexus GX460, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-AWD
I've always considered Ridgeline buyers people who justify needing a truck bed for their Labradoodles while cross shopping a Subaru Forester. . .
I've had a 2007 Ridgeline for 8 years. With it I've probably hauled more dirt, gravel, riding mowers, refrigerators, furniture, general debris, rocks, busted concrete and so on than most "real truck" owners, not to mention towing my Kubota around or driving the 3 miles of rutted gravel, hilly road to the family lake cabin...sometimes towing the compact tractor. And in between the thing has carried 1-5 people 148 thousand miles comfortably. Oh, and all the time chainsaws, golf clubs, all types of tools, etc., locked in the trunk, safely out of sight. And the dog is a Schnoodle who hates riding in any vehicle.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
I've had a 2007 Ridgeline for 8 years. With it I've probably hauled more dirt, gravel, riding mowers, refrigerators, furniture, general debris, rocks, busted concrete and so on than most "real truck" owners, not to mention towing my Kubota around or driving the 3 miles of rutted gravel, hilly road to the family lake cabin...sometimes towing the compact tractor. And in between the thing has carried 1-5 people 148 thousand miles comfortably. Oh, and all the time chainsaws, golf clubs, all types of tools, etc., locked in the trunk, safely out of sight. And the dog is a Schnoodle who hates riding in any vehicle.
Are you looking to buy a Gladiator?
Sponsored