Sponsored

Towing Capacity - Lets get serious here...

OP
OP
Big-Foot

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2002 Jeep Wrangler-X, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2008 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Fabricator
By testing them...
If the same people used the same method of testing that they used on my 2015 JKUR to certify it for 3500#, it will be a big fail. Hence my concern.
Iā€™ll wait for TFL to do their reviews and a bunch of you guys to be guinea pigs...

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I second that. Wait for a TFL real world review.

TFL is especially needed here since if you need more towing ability you are told to go with the engine that produces much less torque.

Engineers and lawyers aside. You canā€™t tell me thatā€™s not bad advice, even when including cooling issues.

Ace Dudemeister

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302, 955i CE
Hi Koala,

Iā€™m curious where you found some of the specs you have there....

As I said in the original post - I tow between 5 & 7,000 miles per year and thatā€™s likely to increase.
Some of that towing is through some pretty good hills and some through the mountains. On our way to our place in AZ, we passed through El Paso TX and took the bypass over the top of the mountain. On the 8% grade - We were in 2nd gear and could maintain 40 mph, but temps were starting to climb even though it was a cool day. I think max coolant temp was 240Ā° - still not overheating but more than I was comfortable maintaining.
I have no doubt that the drivelines and frames / suspension / brakes are sufficient. Just worried about wringing the neck of that Pentastar 3.6 for long periods.
This is really useful information, thanks for sharing. Iā€™ve been trying to find information on this for sometime and while I lean towards a full size truck for my future needs because I think I will end up in Colorado, I currently live in Europe and a full size truck would be a disaster. The Gladiator may work.

I know trans-mountain in El Paso, about four miles up and four miles down at up to 8%. El Paso is medium altitude at around 3,700ā€. I also know the Eisenhower in Colorado, about twice the distance but the altitude is the issue. At that altitude you are giving up over 25% of your engine power in with the Penta 3.6l, too bad it isnā€™t a turbo. The diesel will be fuel economy focused and not towing focused so there is no win there.

FCA says their engines have sufficient reserves for high altitude towing. Iā€™m not so sure. Your comments indicate that towing with a Gladiator at high altitude might be like towing in the 70/ 80s. I have no desire to go back to that. This is looking like less of an option.

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow, Mazdaspeed 3
It is impressive that Jeep claims the 7650 towing capacity for the JT. I am seriously considering selling my pickup truck and JK and just getting the JT. However, I was disappointed to realize through extensive time spent researching and on the build page that in reality, the only model/package I can get the maximum towing capacity of 7650 lbs is the Sport S model with an automatic tranny and max tow package. I find it odd, that you can't get it in the higher models (overland, rubi)

Sponsored

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
It is impressive that Jeep claims the 7650 towing capacity for the JT. I am seriously considering selling my pickup truck and JK and just getting the JT. However, I was disappointed to realize through extensive time spent researching and on the build page that in reality, the only model/package I can get the maximum towing capacity of 7650 lbs is the Sport S model with an automatic tranny and max tow package. I find it odd, that you can't get it in the higher models (overland, rubi)
For any midsized truck towing above 7000lbs seems crazy to me. Jeep has got you covered for anything below that which is fine. It's not just about the power, but the weight, wheelbase, payload capacity, etc. of the tow vehicle. To me if you're looking to tow more than 6500lbs in the mountains then the mid sized platform isn't your ticket. Go full size or get a smaller trailer.

Ace Dudemeister

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302, 955i CE
Mtngoat, canā€™t the Sport S be optioned well enough that it is closer to the Overland/ Rubicon than the base Sport?

Ace Dudemeister

First Name
Ace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302, 955i CE
For any midsized truck towing above 7000lbs seems crazy to me. Jeep has got you covered for anything below that which is fine. It's not just about the power, but the weight, wheelbase, payload capacity, etc. of the tow vehicle. To me if you're looking to tow more than 6500lbs in the mountains then the mid sized platform isn't your ticket. Go full size or get a smaller trailer.
I agree but with this tow rating, you can tow up to 5,000lbs with confidence instead of pushing its limits.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You have to remember that it wasn't that long ago when a full size truck had the same weight, wheelbase, and towing specs. Today's "midsize" trucks are pretty big and heavy actually. The Jeep Gladiator is only 2" shorter than a Supercab F-150 Raptor.

I have towed 7,000 lbs. with vehicles smaller than the Gladiator many times. Everything is totally fine as long as you have proper trailer brakes and a good controller in the cab.

Hockeypilot44

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangler
You have to remember that it wasn't that long ago when a full size truck had the same weight, wheelbase, and towing specs. Today's "midsize" trucks are pretty big and heavy actually. The Jeep Gladiator is only 2" shorter than a Supercab F-150 Raptor.

I have towed 7,000 lbs. with vehicles smaller than the Gladiator many times. Everything is totally fine as long as you have proper trailer brakes and a good controller in the cab.
Lol. Jeep seems to think trailer brakes are so unimportant that they've decided not to even offer a brake controller.

Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
What is even weirder is that a brake controller showed up in the configurator before pricing showed up, then disappeared

OP
OP
Big-Foot

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, 2002 Jeep Wrangler-X, 2017 Ford Raptor, 2008 Dodge Durango
Occupation
Fabricator
I read on another forum that you got the brake controller along with the Max-Tow package. But seeing is believing in my opinion...

DesertDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Iā€™m told by multiple sources that thatā€™s not the case. The trailer brake controller no longer has a part number.

OP
OP
Big-Foot

Big-Foot

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Fabricator
Only a couple of states (North Dakota & Oregon) and maybe Alaska, donā€™t require Brakes on Trailers. Most states specify any trailer 3,000# or more require some sort of brakes. Surge brakes are still used on many boat trailers and they donā€™t have any need for a tow vehicle triggered brake.
In my honest opinion -
It would be fool-hardy to tow a trailer more than a few thousand pounds without brakes..
ā€”
Okay Jeep,whatā€™s up with the lack of a brake controller option?

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
The Jeep gladiator page has been updated recently. It includes this now...

D732CB35-65FA-4173-8564-8A1D552517CC.png
Sponsored