Sponsored

West Coast Dealers at Below Invoice?

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Is anyone familiar with a West Coast dealer (California, Nevada, Arizona) who will do below invoice?
I don't mind ordering from other parts of the country and just paying for delivery, but it would be nice to be within 500 mile so I can just go pick it up and drive it.
Sponsored

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Is anyone familiar with a West Coast dealer (California, Nevada, Arizona) who will do below invoice?
I don't mind ordering from other parts of the country and just paying for delivery, but it would be nice to be within 500 mile so I can just go pick it up and drive it.
What's the cost when registering in CA, when you buy out of state? as in what added fees would you expect?

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I got a deal from Chicago. 2% below invoice. delivery to LA $1851. Still only $1000 MSRP OTD. Non LE rubi

Sponsored

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
What's the cost when registering in CA, when you buy out of state? as in what added fees would you expect?
The costs for registering in CA is the same regardless of where you buy it. If you buy it out of state, the dealer likely will collect sales tax based on the state/county/city you live in. If not, you'd pay that when you register.

Only additional fee may be a temporary travel permit to allow you to drive it until it's registered. Think it was like $10 on mine.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
The costs for registering in CA is the same regardless of where you buy it. If you buy it out of state, the dealer likely will collect sales tax based on the state/county/city you live in. If not, you'd pay that when you register.

Only additional fee may be a temporary travel permit to allow you to drive it until it's registered. Think it was like $10 on mine.

This is 100% correct. If the dealer collects their own local tax, then CA will only collect CA tax minus why you paid elsewhere (if CA has a reciprocity deal with that state). Very likely though, the dealer won't collect any tax at all because they're delivering outside of their own state line. CA will then collect all the tax they normally do like the bloodsucking tax-vampire that they are. Really the only added fee is the delivery fee which should never be more than a $1000 coast to coast, but in a scenario like this you don't get to choose your service and shop around, so you might pay a bit more.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
This is 100% correct. If the dealer collects their own local tax, then CA will only collect CA tax minus why you paid elsewhere (if CA has a reciprocity deal with that state). Very likely though, the dealer won't collect any tax at all because they're delivering outside of their own state line. CA will then collect all the tax they normally do like the bloodsucking tax-vampire that they are. Really the only added fee is the delivery fee which should never be more than a $1000 coast to coast, but in a scenario like this you don't get to choose your service and shop around, so you might pay a bit more.
So basically buying out of state, doesn't really save me much (i.e. not paying sales tax if bought in OR), unless that specific dealer has a better price?

Thanks.

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So basically buying out of state, doesn't really save me much (i.e. not paying sales tax if bought in OR), unless that specific dealer has a better price?

Thanks.
Technically, buying out of state doesn't save you anything. In fact it costs more. But, in CA, none of the dealers are offering below MSRP, much less below invoice. So when I order through Travis, I get 5-7% under invoice, which saves me like $7-8k off MSRP (+ the tax on that amount). But then I pay the $1k or so for delivery... So in the end I should still be about $6-7k better off. If a local dealer was offering 5% below invoice I wouldn't have any reason to do this.

Sponsored

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Technically, buying out of state doesn't save you anything. In fact it costs more. But, in CA, none of the dealers are offering below MSRP, much less below invoice. So when I order through Travis, I get 5-7% under invoice, which saves me like $7-8k off MSRP (+ the tax on that amount). But then I pay the $1k or so for delivery... So in the end I should still be about $6-7k better off. If a local dealer was offering 5% below invoice I wouldn't have any reason to do this.
Buying out of stae doesn't always save you $$. However in special cases like the JTs... It does... You just have to calculate the numbers

Rover_boy

First Name
Fabian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have bought a couple jeeps through them. Avi is a good guy. Tries his best to get you a fair deal.
I was dealing with Mike Barowski and Charlie. They're not pushy, able and willing to help CA buyers. If any CA buyers go to this dealership, look for these folks and mention recommended by Fabian.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I was dealing with Mike Barowski and Charlie. They're not pushy, able and willing to help CA buyers. If any CA buyers go to this dealership, look for these folks and mention recommended by Fabian.
Mike is one of the managers. Real nice guy. Helped me when my order never progressed at the plant.
Sponsored