Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
How about this van?

van.jpg
Only other vehicles I've ever considered -- the overland capable Quigley & Sportsmobile Conversions ! As basic as I could get due to the unbearable cost ! Just wish the old Dodge Vans would make a comeback - NEW iteration so I could have it converted to 4X4 and have a popup added ! The rest I'd do piece-meal as I could ! ps; don't fret Steff, my "boogie van" was all business, no boogie ! I was never a Saint, :angel:, but never into "that boogie scene" either ! Pretty handsome feller I was, yea ? Still have the boyish figure . . . as you can possibly tell from my pic ! :) :clap: :muscle:
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Ah . . . wannabe memories of the mid-70's (well for me) . . . my "boogie van" - the Yellow Dodge (of course) & me at 26.
Ah to be young and foolish again . . . . . . ?

P1000386.JPG
My father has similar photos lol. I think the whole Van Life thing thats going on today is a rebirth of that era. Vans make a lot of sense from an exploring / travel stand point.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Only other vehicles I've ever considered -- the overland capable Quigley & Sportsmobile Conversions ! As basic as I could get due to the unbearable cost ! Just wish the old Dodge Vans would make a comeback - NEW iteration so I could have it converted to 4X4 and have a popup added ! The rest I'd do piece-meal as I could ! ps; don't fret Steff, my "boogie van" was all business, no boogie ! I was never a Saint, :angel:, but never into "that boogie scene" either ! Pretty handsome feller I was, yea ? Still have the boyish figure . . . as you can possibly tell from my pic ! :) :clap: :muscle:
You Van build sounds a lot like what I would do. 144 length low roof with Sportsmobile pop top and 4wd. Winch on the front and roof rack on the top and then build out the interior slowly. Problem is the Sprinters are a base of $60K plus $10K for the poptop and then another $10K for a basic interior so your at $80K. Thats why I the new 2020 Transit is interesting should be around $45K base with AWD and the 3.5L Ecoboost less Ford Discounts so say maybe $40k +$20k for interior and pop top your at $60K instead. Just no diesel and no low range like on the Sprinters.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You Van build sounds a lot like what I would do. 144 length low roof with Sportsmobile pop top and 4wd. Winch on the front and roof rack on the top and then build out the interior slowly. Problem is the Sprinters are a base of $60K plus $10K for the poptop and then another $10K for a basic interior so your at $80K. Thats why I the new 2020 Transit is interesting should be around $45K base with AWD and the 3.5L Ecoboost less Ford Discounts so say maybe $40k +$20k for interior and pop top your at $60K instead. Just no diesel and no low range like on the Sprinters.
That was then . . . this is now reality > Hate to say it, here at GLAD territory, but IF I go the JLU route, the Ursa Minor option (though expensive) in the short & long run won't be nearly as costly as the "Sportsmobile/Quigley" option !
~$44K (JLU-S) out the door + ~ $9K for the 'U.M.' RTT = ~ $53K . No need to pull any sort of Trailer/camper off roader, No need to pitch & un-pitch a ground tent & store in the Jeep, or ALL the accessories for sleeping in it ! Just add a 12 volt fridge/freezer (~$1K) which would do regardless of the vehicle chosen . Kinda like what Chris has of 'Venture 4WD' !
Which is why I need Steph to build my platform - hint ! :like: . . . watching are you ? ;) .
THEN on the other foot . . . a Bed-CAP is lots less expensive than an Ursa Minor . . . so that too is INVITING ! I'll have to weigh them both out, side by side and come to a determination . + GOTTA See, Touch & Smell the GLAD-ness first hand .

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My father has similar photos lol. I think the whole Van Life thing thats going on today is a rebirth of that era. Vans make a lot of sense from an exploring / travel stand point.
So I'm guessing he & I are about "that age" ? Grew up in Boise did he ? The 2 of us -me & the "bus" - traveled extensively in 1977+ in that new '77 Dodge and spent many many days/nights in Boise area ! My buddy at the time (Mike) the owner of the White Ford Van (next to mine in photo) wound up marrying a BEAUTIFUL Boise Babe - she's been a "real keeper" too, find of a lifetime - wish I'd met her first ! Such is life ! Gena R. - your dad ever know any Gena R's in that time ?
Oh well, caught myself reminiscing again ! THANKS, it's all your fault . . . ;)

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
That was then . . . this is now reality > Hate to say it, here at GLAD territory, but IF I go the JLU route, the Ursa Minor option (though expensive) in the short & long run won't be nearly as costly as the "Sportsmobile/Quigley" option !
~$44K (JLU-S) out the door + ~ $9K for the 'U.M.' RTT = ~ $53K . No need to pull any sort of Trailer/camper off roader, No need to pitch & un-pitch a ground tent & store in the Jeep, or ALL the accessories for sleeping in it ! Just add a 12 volt fridge/freezer (~$1K) which would do regardless of the vehicle chosen . Kinda like what Chris has of 'Venture 4WD' !
Which is why I need Steph to build my platform - hint ! :like: . . . watching are you ? ;) .
THEN on the other foot . . . a Bed-CAP is lots less expensive than an Ursa Minor . . . so that too is INVITING ! I'll have to weigh them both out, side by side and come to a determination . + GOTTA See, Touch & Smell the GLAD-ness first hand .
Yea I looked at that something similar too. My biggest concern with the JT after driving a JKU for the last 6 years is comfort for long trips. I have done several 6-10 hour trips in the JKU and everytime I get back I want to sell it. Its just beats you up on the hwy, or going through mountain passes. I hoping the JT suspension will add comfort vs the JKU as well as the 8 speed and diesel will make it get out of its own way when in the mountains.

The other option is a cheap camper (can pick one up for around $10k) and simply pull it behind and then use the Jeep to do day trips from base camp.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm guessing he & I are about "that age" ? Grew up in Boise did he ? The 2 of us -me & the "bus" - traveled extensively in 1977+ in that new '77 Dodge and spent many many days/nights in Boise area ! My buddy at the time (Mike) the owner of the White Ford Van (next to mine in photo) wound up marrying a BEAUTIFUL Boise Babe - she's been a "real keeper" too, find of a lifetime - wish I'd met her first ! Such is life ! Gena R. - your dad ever know any Gena R's in that time ?
Oh well, caught myself reminiscing again ! THANKS, it's all your fault . . . ;)
He grew up in Southern CA. Moved there from IL when he was in HS and went from the Beatles to the Beach Boys lol

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yea I looked at that something similar too. My biggest concern with the JT after driving a JKU for the last 6 years is comfort for long trips. I have done several 6-10 hour trips in the JKU and everytime I get back I want to sell it. Its just beats you up on the hwy, or going through mountain passes. I hoping the JT suspension will add comfort vs the JKU as well as the 8 speed and diesel will make it get out of its own way when in the mountains.
The other option is a cheap camper (can pick one up for around $10k) and simply pull it behind and then use the Jeep to do day trips from base camp.
See I DON'T want to be pulling a camper again - did that full time when had my 1500 ! Also, now I have my new Drift Boat that I tow; a lot easier . 2013 JKU ? That have the 3.6 with the 5 spd. ? Now I've test driver the JKU-S w/3.6/8spd. and now the JLU-S with the now Upgraded 3.6 & upgraded 8 spd. - the ride and handling HAVE improved as well you're aware !? The JT we'll have to see ?
I'm hoping that by the time I pull the cord, JEEP has made the Improvements they are apparently gonna make on the JL's (bushings and ?), to the JT (late this year most likely for me ! ? I'm hoping that with this purchase - it will alter my driving habits some > LESS Interstate and lots more paved-dirt and off road getting to my favorite fly fishing & camping spots !

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
He grew up in Southern CA. Moved there from IL when he was in HS and went from the Beatles to the Beach Boys lol
FAN of both groups and many others . . . hate to sound "prejudiced," but after listening to "music" for this long, I continue to go back to the "Good ole Days" - '60's/'70's for R&R + 50's to now for Jazz; and I'm excluding "smooth jazz" in that scenario !

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

If Quigley started working on a 4X4 conversion of the Dodge ProMaster City I could get interested fast ! IT's not to big & not to small - just about the right "Fit" but with lots of room inside to customize ! 4X4 under and popup roof above . . . the rest in the middle for me to decide ! :rock: :like: .

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
If Quigley started working on a 4X4 conversion of the Dodge ProMaster City I could get interested fast ! IT's not to big & not to small - just about the right "Fit" but with lots of room inside to customize ! 4X4 under and popup roof above . . . the rest in the middle for me to decide ! :rock: :like: .
Maybe they will now that Ford is offering a AWD Transit, as Im sure that will hurt their customer base a little.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maybe they will now that Ford is offering a AWD Transit, as Im sure that will hurt their customer base a little.
Yea I read that too . . . I can wish; hope is eternal, but I am not ! Time Matters ! We shall see ? Think I gotta put my money on the sure thing . . . JT / JL ? $$$ vs. $$$$ ?
Sponsored