Sponsored

What do JL LED housings look like, are bulbs replacable?

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
WRONG FORUM!? I've asked this question a few times, and nobody over there seems willing to help, except the aftermarket headlight sellers. Maybe because i'm new there, or i'm not asking the question correctly and in the right place, so i thought i'd give it a whirl here while we're all BORED!

I'm trying to gain insight on the LED lights that the JT will likely have. Does anybody on here also own a JL with the LED factory option?

Are the high and low beams seperate?

Can you change the individual bulbs for the high and low beam?

The reason why i'm asking is Jeep says this is a reflector LED headlight, but from what I can tell over at Wrangler Forum, it appears the low beam comes out of the middle of the light from a projector lense, and the high beam is from the top and bottom with a reflector housing.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?

Many on the Wrangler forum complain about snow not melting around the headlight with the LED option because it doesn't get hot enough. I'm wondering if you can upgrade the low beam bulb with an HID bulb/setup so that it creates more heat to melt this snow (I live in Wisconsin).

Aftermarket makes a headlight that actually has a heating element in it, but i want a factory solution with aftermarket bulb.
jw-speaker-8700-evo2-heated-black-led-light-tj-0556281.jpg

It is often understood that throwing LED or HID lights into typical reflector housings is a horrible idea because of the lack of some kind of cuttoff that limits light from blinding oncoming traffic.

If the JL/JT have a projector middle lense, then we might be in luck for an HID upgrade without blinding folks and melting the snow.

This is a photo of an OEM Mopar LED Head Light.
82215136-MOP.jpg

These i believe are aftermarket, but appear to be similar to the OEM Mopar LED lights.
jl-sm-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

K enny

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I would assume there are no replaceable bulbs, that the headlight is all one unit.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I would assume there are no replaceable bulbs, that the headlight is all one unit.
Can anybody else confirm that its sealed and can't swap out bulbs?

Sponsored

Tortooga Custom Works

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladator Launch Edition | 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
well.. that is very cool - but it doesn't quite answer the question about the lamps themselves being replaceable... Although, if they were, it involves an oven. Yikes!

JTRUBI

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I think judging by the video it looks like it’s a complete sealed unit. So you wouldn’t be able to replace it.

well.. that is very cool - but it doesn't quite answer the question about the lamps themselves being replaceable... Although, if they were, it involves an oven. Yikes!

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think judging by the video it looks like it’s a complete sealed unit. So you wouldn’t be able to replace it.
Without performing surgery on the light. Ok, now I know. Thanks JTRUBI

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
Is there even an aftermarket unit out there with replaceable bulbs?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there even an aftermarket unit out there with replaceable bulbs?
not sure, but I know there are LED bulb kits and HID kits to replace just the bulb in many other vehicles.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
not sure, but I know there are LED bulb kits and HID kits to replace just the bulb in many other vehicles.
Yea, there are several for the JL's halogen housings, which is what I currently have.

I've been on the JLWranglerForums for about a year now. Of all of the aftermarket head light replacement solutions that I've seen, none of them have replaceable diodes. So the warranty is REALLY important.

BTW, one reason I'm getting a Rubicon is because I want the factory LEDs with Halos. Frankly, none of the aftermarket solutions impress me. Also, upgrading a Sport's Halogens to OEM LEDs is challenging because the wiring harnesses are different (to account for DRL halos). It can be done but be prepared to break out the soldering iron.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, there are several for the JL's halogen housings, which is what I currently have.

I've been on the JLWranglerForums for about a year now. Of all of the aftermarket head light replacement solutions that I've seen, none of them have replaceable diodes. So the warranty is REALLY important.

BTW, one reason I'm getting a Rubicon is because I want the factory LEDs with Halos. Frankly, none of the aftermarket solutions impress me. Also, upgrading a Sport's Halogens to OEM LEDs is challenging because the wiring harnesses are different (to account for DRL halos). It can be done but be prepared to break out the soldering iron.
yeah and may or may not need some special harness to trick the ecu into not throwing a code I read......Plus the factory LED headlights are like $1000 from mopar. Might as well get the whole LED package when ordering, than retrofitting.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

I like the looks of this one:

https://www.oraclelights.com/products/oracle-jeep-wrangler-jl-7-high-powered-led-headlights-pair

I know most of the halo colors would get me ticketed here in California, but I’m a sucker for gadgets...

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
So if your concern is keeping the lamps clear in snow conditions, there are options but they require taking a step “backward” in technology. The JL and JT do not use a 7” lamp bucket but there is a solution, Quadra tech sells an insert

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/7-inch-headlight-bracket-jeep-wrangler-jl

To which you can install this for some actual ece/dot approved lamps in bi-LED or bi-xenon (HID)

https://www.rallylights.com/sm6024blb-hella-90mm-bi-led-high-low-headlamp-kit-for-7-sealed-beam.html

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-bi-xenon-90mm-hi-lo-headlamp.html

Or you can do what I did and go for the Godzilla of halogen options with some 90/130 H4’s for maximum frost/ice/slush/snow control

https://www.rallylights.com/hella-s...amp-systems-each-with-city-light-hl39519.html

https://www.rallylights.com/h-412-hella-h4-9003-hb2-12volt-halogen-bulb.html

Paired with the relay and headlamp harness I’m pushing a super crisp beam pattern backed up with mucho lumens giving high lux where I need it and not where I don’t. The amount of light doesn’t mean anything if it’s not lighting what you need to see while at the same time pissing everyone else off with glare.

And for those times I need all the lumens I have a pair of 9800 lumen flood lamps that make the flowers bloom and the birds wake up. Obscene in form and function.
Sponsored