Jeep Towing + Manual Transmission = HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Too bad that Getrag 238 that was in the Rams and Dakota's rated for towing 7200ish never existed.

Good thing it's not standing up to those 6 speed hemi swaps in wranglers.

Wouldn't want Jeep to stumble on something that fits in the jk with nothing more than a modified crossmember.

All sarcasm aside there are ZERO reasons to ignore a proven transmission still in production by getrag that will fit with minimal changes to the platform. Well, beside laziness or a conspiracy to claim people don't want manuals by artificially gimping the manual transmission platform so they can use that as an excuse to abandon them.

I can almost guarantee there will be a hemi gladiator with a g238 behind it at Easter Jeep Safari this year. But we all know the rigs people really want are held closely by Jeep never to be released to the public.
Mark from Jeep addresses this in an interview early on. He said I know a lot of outlet customers want a hemi and in fact a lot of them will swap it out for one. The modifications that are made in the aftermarket would not be allowable for full production because of some government regulation. I would assume this is also why they are not able to put the full size truck transmission in this as well. I’m not trying to argue and not saying it makes sense to me. just stating that it was covered off in an interview. Was I bummed out when I found out I can barely tow more with a JT than a JK yes but will I still get one with a MT... yes
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Wouldn't want Jeep to stumble on something [Getrag 238] that fits in the jk with nothing more than a modified crossmember
Are you saying that transmission would directly bolt to the 3.6L?

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
FCA and Getrag have some bad history. Oddly enough though, I believe Getrag had built the factory in Tipton Indiana to produce manual transmissions for Chrysler before their falling out. Now FCA owns the building and uses it for automatic tranny production.

HONCHO

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Have you driven that set up? Most who have say 1st extremely low, as in almost a straight up granny gear with lots torque. I don’t plan on towing but I will be off road. I realize this is just one opinion but it differs from what I have heard and gives me anxiety, lol.

Yes i have a manual rubicon jl , I too thought that this trans would work great, but it is the 3.6 that is the problem . I do use it as a jeep tho .
comparing to my 03 rubicon,there is alot more reving and slipping of clutches to do the same obstacles .

Always dirty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Too bad that Getrag 238 that was in the Rams and Dakota's rated for towing 7200ish never existed.

Good thing it's not standing up to those 6 speed hemi swaps in wranglers.

Wouldn't want Jeep to stumble on something that fits in the jk with nothing more than a modified crossmember.

All sarcasm aside there are ZERO reasons to ignore a proven transmission still in production by getrag that will fit with minimal changes to the platform. Well, beside laziness or a conspiracy to claim people don't want manuals by artificially gimping the manual transmission platform so they can use that as an excuse to abandon them.

I can almost guarantee there will be a hemi gladiator with a g238 behind it at Easter Jeep Safari this year. But we all know the rigs people really want are held closely by Jeep never to be released to the public.
^^^
This guy knows... can’t speak for this fantasy transmission in a Jeep (let alone behind a hemi), but in a 1500 behind a 4.7 it’s a total workhorse and the only reason I went Dodge. Wish I had weighed the gcw in the first pic, but I’d guess I was towing around 8k (little trailer was full of pallet rack shelving and beams) Second pic was probably under 7k (red car is engineless). Both loads were towed safely from Sacramento to upstate SC. No F-ing way I’d a done this with an auto equipped half ton.

84164F9F-9DC8-41B3-9718-AB676245BA06.jpeg

B864B10D-2EFB-454B-BFD4-231253FD6ACF.jpeg

B4941676-44A4-4604-A327-A4CFD3D05614.jpeg

Sponsored

Cordless

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jkru
Their R&D team got tired of testing things... if they fully vetted it out it might delay it another 2-3 years. I mean the concept was released over what 15 years ago?
Um d478 is made by aisin is not? Last time i checked thats a toyota subsidiary... just saying

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes, you're lucky you get a manual transmission option at all.

It's difficult to get a manual transmission to meet requirements for heavy towing. You need a very robust gearset and clutch and then the size of the transmission becomes a problem for packaging reasons.

For 2020 there won't even be a single full size truck sold with a manual transmission, as far as I'm aware. As towing numbers increase, it's just more and more difficult to make it work and with so few people choosing manuals anymore there isn't a business case for them to try.

Truth be told, even without towing FCA replaces clutches on new Jeeps all the time because so many people have no idea how to drive them properly. They probably would like to get rid of the option for the Jeep line totally.
Just to update, I saw an interview where they asked a Jeep engineer why the manual transmission got a much lower towing rating, and he did confirm that it was due to "clamping force requirements", i.e. the clutch. They've got the new clutch dialed in for silky smooth daily operation, and beefing it up to handle heavy towing would require more clamping force which would increase pedal effort among other things.

Gladiatorx

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Colorado wt
Just to update, I saw an interview where they asked a Jeep engineer why the manual transmission got a much lower towing rating, and he did confirm that it was due to "clamping force requirements", i.e. the clutch. They've got the new clutch dialed in for silky smooth daily operation, and beefing it up to handle heavy towing would require more clamping force which would increase pedal effort among other things.
funny thing is I just drove a jl manual to test out the transmission on Saturday and there is 0 clutch pedal effort at all. I mean I have a mazda 3 and a 2012 colorado with manuals and compared to the jeep those require herculean efforts to put the clutch in and before I drove the jeep I would have described their clutches as light. They could do with adding some clamping force just to make the clutch feel like you weren't stepping on a feather.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Fast forward to 12:00 in this video and that's where he starts discussing how the engineers said it's a clutch holding issue:

Sponsored

mdrideout

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 CJ5 (want a Gladiator)
Fast forward to 12:00 in this video and that's where he starts discussing how the engineers said it's a clutch holding issue:
I'm just disappointed that it lowers the legal tow rating. I'd be happy replacing the clutch every 50k miles, or stomping harder on the pedal if the tow rating was even 5,500.

A project CJ jeep + a trailer is typically right around 5,000lbs, which makes 4,500 just barely too low. (and no I'm not talking about towing a 5,000lb jk loaded with armor, I'm talking about towing a 1970's CJ5 on an aluminum trailer).

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Towing is always de-rated with a manual, and in diesel 3/4 and 1 tons the engines are de-rated as well.

I don't think any of the big 3 are making a manual transmission in a heavy duty truck.

I get that some people want them, but modern automatics are superior in every way and less warranty issues. Hydraulic clutch slaves make it much too easy to smoke a clutch by simply resting your clod hopper on the pedal. Manual transmissions are dead, even in performance cars manuals can't stay with automatics. In big trucks (18 wheelers) automatics and automated transmissions are gaining significant market share.

Tow rating or not, I never even considered a manual transmission in my JT.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Its funny how the manuals are dying in this country, but every other country I've been to, they're everywhere. In fact, not knowing how to drive a manual when visiting a 3rd world country could be a problem for you. I know the autos are more efficient and all that, but manuals are more fun. I think part of the problem is that people are getting lazier and lazier and pushing for more and more comfort. Not having to push a pedal in to shift is a comfort most people will go for. Especially since traffic in this country seems to just be getting worse and worse everywhere I go.

Rafael's Jive

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Scrambler, 09 WRX, 17 Forester, and to many bicycles
Its funny how the manuals are dying in this country, but every other country I've been to, they're everywhere. In fact, not knowing how to drive a manual when visiting a 3rd world country could be a problem for you. I know the autos are more efficient and all that, but manuals are more fun. I think part of the problem is that people are getting lazier and lazier and pushing for more and more comfort. Not having to push a pedal in to shift is a comfort most people will go for. Especially since traffic in this country seems to just be getting worse and worse everywhere I go.
If you look at a vehicle as an entire system, it makes sense that an automatic transmission is the direction the manufacturers are going. The computer in the car is managing fuel delivery for lower emissions, and fuel economy. They are now also tied into the safety systems and driver aids like smart cruise control. As others have stated, spending any development money at all on a vehicle option that has a limited future and is a low percentage of sales wouldn't be wise. There will come a time when the base trans is a CVT, and the traditional geared auto with paddle shift will be the option.

We can complain about govt regulations and the like, but cars are cleaner and safer than ever. I am stopping work on my Scrambler because my wife and I realize that a new Gladiator will do all the same things for us as a 30-40 year old Jeep, but safer in the long term.

My Gladiator will be a manual as well, but I suspect that this will be the last manual transmission car I buy new. I too like rowing my own gears, but I realize that I am in the minority. Sometimes being in the minority means you have to put up with things you don't like.

Djkemeneur

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
If Jeep send a new clutch for the recall with a better plate quality, do you tink it’s possible to see a more towing capacity?
Sponsored