First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It doesn't affect all of them, or even most of them. But it's a legitimate issue.
True. I test drove one with 5,000 miles on it with horribly vague steering (probably why it was traded in). I didn't bother trying to convince the salesman that it needed repair. He would have just told me, "That's how all Jeeps drive."
Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I test drove one of the new JLUR's when they first hit the showrooms and the steering was really flighty on it. Enough that I drove it right back into the dealership with the salesman. He asked what was wrong and I asked him if he had driven it.. He told me no, so I said you drive it. It freaked him out also on how loose it was. We both drive lifted JK's and our steering is solid. We drove a different JLUR and it's steering was better, still soft, but better. I found out later that the first JLUR was taken back by FCA... Hmmm. I do believe that the JL steering is better than my JK, just doesn't has as much feed back, which is probably what a lot of us feel in the difference.
Ron
Oh, I don't know . . . seems to me everyones "feel" is just as subjective as their opinions ! I try not to paint with such a broad stroke . Don't ya just hate it when you start to feel like someones ginny-pig ? I do . Sometimes giving the
benefit-of-the-doubt can cost you . . . which is why I've learned the art-of-patience ! ;)

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Oh, I don't know . . . seems to me everyones "feel" is just as subjective as their opinions ! I try not to paint with such a broad stroke . Don't ya just hate it when you start to feel like someones ginny-pig ? I do . Sometimes giving the
benefit-of-the-doubt can cost you . . . which is why I've learned the art-of-patience ! ;)
I don’t even really half blame FCA/Jeep. They design something just fine and then suppliers screw them by giving them parts that don’t work right. I mean Dana/Spicer (axle supplier) supplies how many different auto manufacturers?

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
I tried a JLU when the dealer first got one last year and was pretty bothered by the steering as well. It felt tight, but, it required constant attention and adjustment to keep it going straight down the road. After ten miles that was enough for me! The other complaint, the manual in that one was extremely notchy and physically hard to shift.

Then I got back in my 2006 LJ on 35’s and drove back home, it felt planted and solid, and went straight down the highway.

Later as more and more people got JL’s I learned that this steering issue is “a thing.” I’m hoping both the super notchy shifter and wandery steering is solved by now... or at least by the time the JT goes into production.

On the JL forums I recall reading about some steering related part numbers that are new for the 2020 JL’s anyway.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I tried a JLU when the dealer first got one last year and was pretty bothered by the steering as well. It felt tight, but, it required constant attention and adjustment to keep it going straight down the road. After ten miles that was enough for me! The other complaint, the manual in that one was extremely notchy and physically hard to shift.

Then I got back in my 2006 LJ on 35’s and drove back home, it felt planted and solid, and went straight down the highway.

Later as more and more people got JL’s I learned that this steering issue is “a thing.” I’m hoping both the super notchy shifter and wandery steering is solved by now... or at least by the time the JT goes into production.

On the JL forums I recall reading about some steering related part numbers that are new for the 2020 JL’s anyway.
I have drove a 2019 jl and it shifted like butter. Could barely tell it was a mt.

Sponsored

pilotpat

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 & 2020 Bright White Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator :)
Butter is good? Well I think butter is good and so is bacon. Everything is better with butter and bacon. Nothing better than eating bacon and butter in a plywood table!

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
No issues here after 7,500 miles with our 18 JLR.

Handling improvement that does help settle the rig is deflating the KO2s down to 36 PSI. When driving home after purchase the tires were at 44 PSI and they grabbed every uneven road surface. Very unsettling. Now at 36 PSI ride is plush.

In response to steering complaints, combined that with bad steering stabilizers from the factory, and I can see why folks had issues. There’s a new drag link from FCA with better bushings for rigs brought in with issues.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Butter is good? Well I think butter is good and so is bacon. Everything is better with butter and bacon. Nothing better than eating bacon and butter in a plywood table!
Sitting on the tailgate of your own personal JT of a misty mountain morn.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
I don’t even really half blame FCA/Jeep. They design something just fine and then suppliers screw them by giving them parts that don’t work right. I mean Dana/Spicer (axle supplier) supplies how many different auto manufacturers?
That is so true too . . . It's nice one member can come up with whatever missing link is missing and fill in the puzzle !

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
original__63145.1451665844.jpg

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU
Death wobble affects a very small percentage of JLs but it is def there and with enough being vocal about it finally made Jeep acknowledge the issue. Can hope any improvements to the JL transfers to the JT.