06 Pontiac GTO
  • Banned

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
The manual was only available on their 4 banger poverty spec trucks. Sad that the manual continues it's decline....

Professor57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2020 Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

Karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Not a good move. The Colorado has been plagued with transmission issues from what I understand

Karnivoolfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Baja
GM: No one buys manuals anymore!

Manual buyers: YOU NEVER OFFER THEM ON ANYTHING GOOD!

GM: FINE! WATCH THIS!

*GM offers a manual on the base model 4 cylinder work truck only*

*manual buyers don't buy it because they want options like a V6 and 4x4*

GM: SEE NO ONE BUYS MANUALS ANYMORE!

This is why we had to bail out their sorry arses.

Sponsored

chrcal14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon

Precisely right. I used to factory order them when you could get them on something good. 3 ZR2 S10s... and then you couldn't get good and manual together anymore.

Been a good while now, looking forward to grabbing gears again... while parking my butt on leather with a nice radio.

My primary vehicle was always a GM, but I'm done, especially with their last round of trucks just being an updated disappointment.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Ya back in the day a manual transmission would get better mileage too
:angel:

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
Ya back in the day a manual transmission would get better mileage too
:angel:
I have proof of that. but, I am wondering, does the 2019 and forthcoming 2020 TACO offer up a Manual & the # of gears ?

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
I have proof of that. but, I am wondering, does the 2019 and forthcoming 2020 TACO offer up a Manual & the # of gears ?
The 2019 MY Taco offers a manual, but only in the enthusiast TRD models. 2020 is only a minor redesign, so I would expect it to remain that way until 2022. Its a 6speed that should be closely related to the one in the JL/JT, bit with closer ratio spacing

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2016 WK2 75th Anniversary edition
Occupation
retired Navy -- 1984 > 2004
The 2019 MY Taco offers a manual, but only in the enthusiast TRD models. 2020 is only a minor redesign, so I would expect it to remain that way until 2022. Its a 6speed that should be closely related to the one in the JL/JT, bit with closer ratio spacing
So let the Off Road Worthiness "Comparison-Freaks" chime in -- but only if it's kept "real" ! Meaning the reality seems to be, based on a # of the Videos, that a Base Taco really does not compare well to a base Gladiator ! And I would go farther in saying the Taco Interior Quality, Comfort and Tech is Lacking as well, again from all the video reviews we see ! It seems obvious, further up the Model-Chain, and it's more indicative . The only slight drawback I see SO FAR with Mr. JT is that longer wheelbase, but only with the "Rock-Crawler Crowd" . Both are good LOOKING trucks though !

Last edited:

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
So let the Off Road Worthiness "Comparison-Freaks" chime in -- but only if it's kept "real" ! Meaning the reality seems to be, based on a # of the Videos, that a Base Taco really does not compare well to a base Gladiator ! And I would go farther in saying the Taco Interior Quality, Comfort and Tech is Lacking as well, again from all the video reviews we see ! It seems obvious, further up the Model-Chain, and it's more indicative . The only slight drawback I see SO FAR with Mr. JT is that longer wheelbase, but only with the "Rock-Crawler Crowd" . Both are good LOOKING trucks though !
off road, stock or modified, the JT will win every time, unless you're intent on hammering washboard really fast (in which case the ZR2 beats everything) They're simply different, and can't be directly compared (unlike, say, the Taco and Frontier). For the price of a bare bones Sport, your get a TRD Offroad, with power windows, keyless entry, adaptive cruise, and for 2020, 8" touch screen with Apple Carplay and power seats. Yes, those seats seem to be designed by Hobits. but the seating position itself, I don't mind at all. I'll reserve judgment on interior "quality" until I can grope both trucks back-to-back.
I'll be keeping either truck at least 10 years, I so it has to accommodate 2 teenagers in the back later on. The 2nd row in the Tacoma seems to be intended for 2nd class citizens, While the JT has 4" more leg room, which is about twice the leg space (driver seat back to rear seat cushion) of the Taco.

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco

As mentioned below, how does Toyota offer manual in their 4x4 v6, how is it you can buy a 4x4 V6 Dinosaur (Frontier) and how can our Gladiators offer sticks with 4x4 V6's but Government Motors never considered it...

Answered my own question, Government

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Toyota recently gave out the numbers and a media outlet (can't remember which one) published a story on it. In many cases, the "take rate" for the manual transmission is as low as 5% on a lot of Toyota's stuff. The reason Toyota keeps offering it is because they let all their vehicles get older than volcanic rock before they do a redesign. So, it doesn't really cost them anything to keep the manual trans. around. Take the Tacoma for example... this platform hit the streets in late 2004. That's fifteen years ago. There are probably people reading this thread that weren't born yet when Toyota designed that truck. It's awful.

By contrast, the other companies refresh their things on a cycle. That means they have to do EPA certification, crash testing, tow testing, etc. all over again from scratch every 5 years or so. That makes it a lot more costly to keep the manual transmission around UNLESS a lot of people are buying them, and of course not many people are buying them these days.

MF Comics

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Manual Bronco
Toyota recently gave out the numbers and a media outlet (can't remember which one) published a story on it. In many cases, the "take rate" for the manual transmission is as low as 5% on a lot of Toyota's stuff. The reason Toyota keeps offering it is because they let all their vehicles get older than volcanic rock before they do a redesign. So, it doesn't really cost them anything to keep the manual trans. around. Take the Tacoma for example... this platform hit the streets in late 2004. That's fifteen years ago. There are probably people reading this thread that weren't born yet when Toyota designed that truck. It's awful.

By contrast, the other companies refresh their things on a cycle. That means they have to do EPA certification, crash testing, tow testing, etc. all over again from scratch every 5 years or so. That makes it a lot more costly to keep the manual transmission around UNLESS a lot of people are buying them, and of course not many people are buying them these days.
How many people would of bought Manual V6 Trucklettes if they were offered?
Sponsored