Sponsored

JT vs Honda Ridgeline

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mercedes CLK350, 2016 Lexus GX460, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-AWD
You shouldnt call others out for being wrong when you haven't done sufficient research.

1. I never said the RL was billed as an off-road vehicle, obviously because it doent have solid axles (has independant suspension), no transfer case, and no low 4WD (AWD only). The original poster said the RL in his opinion was the closest competitor to the JT in terms of lifestyle. IMO, it is not (speaking subjectively), as the two vehicles clearly target two different demographics. But he could have been coming from anther perspective, which is his perogative. IMO, lifestyle wise the JT is targeted to outdoor enthusiest who want an off-road capable truck, whereas you said the RL is not. So there we are in agreement.
2. The RL is not easily liftable. There are actually at least three companies that do lifts, only one approved by dealers for warranty purposes. The two you are referring to are (Traxda and TRUXX) many of those installs by lift shops have resulted in torn CV axle boots, won't properly align, camber isues, ect, many brands of 265 tires wont event fit without rubbing, so really the lift is more for appearance than functionality. Both aftermarket company kits require extensive labor to do the fronts and are not easily done, which is why both companies have to provide instructional videos to business that do lifts. Rarely anyone tries to do it themselves, and many of the ones done at shops have ended up back at the dealer. It's very common to find the Honda Dealer approved lift (JSport 1" lift) to be sold for 7k, 3k lift and 4k for the wheels.
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...12322-attempted-truxxx-leveling-kit-help.html
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...wheels-suspension/166706-traxda-lift-kit.html
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...98-damaged-cv-joint-after-truxxx-install.html
3. Transmission Issues. The Ridgeline does not have a transfer case, it uses i-VTM4 which basically utilizes a computer to monitor the rear E-differential and torque vectoring between wheels to adjust power between wheels to find the best traction. I will attach a TSB below.
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...6-judder-torque-converter-lock-up-clutch.html
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...800-transmission-overheated-while-towing.html
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...s-tsb-s/188945-transmission-not-shifting.html
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...tsb-s/215828-shifting-clunk-2nd-3rd-gear.html
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...xes-tsb-s/172290-2017-transmission-clunk.html
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...785-transmission-problems-2018-ridgeline.html
Brake Issues
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...77937-brake-fluid-looks-like-maple-syrup.html
Hood Flutter
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...ood-flutter-vibration-hood-jello-jigglin.html
4. Body Dents
https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com...s-tsb-s/194681-2017-ridgeline-body-dents.html
5. Cost
Pricing RTL-T AWD first trim with available Nav, APS has MSRP of $39,945 no available active safety features.
Pricing RTL-E AWD first trim with active safety features is $42,965. RL are not seing much more than a $3,500 discount off MSRP, where JLs are being sold with much heavier discounts.

FYI I have read the JL forums and am very aware of their many issues including, frame, steering, electrical, wind noise, ect. With that said, the JT is not a JL, so every issue won't be the same as they do not share the same frame and many other suspension components. We will see how the roll out goes on the JT and with two years of JL's rolling out, I am hoping some of the software programming and electrical steering issues get resolved for components they do share.

As far as overall reliability, I'd rather spend time and money fixing something that is capable, durable, and has appealing asthetics. As opposed to something that has less capability and almost zero visual appeal. I have researched every single truck and ALL manufactures are having issues. Probably the most trouble free truck at this point would be a 2018 or newer Tundra (many of the previous years have expensive cam tower leaks, $3,500 repair). But hey, the Tundra hasn't had a total redesign since 2007, so they have had 12 years to get everything ironed out.

Again we agree on the RL being a truck, I did not say it wasnt. It does have class leading ride, very comfortable, the back seat is functional, slick tailgate (when it works), and it gets good gas mileage. But IMO, It's a stretch to call it a "great" truck as It's just not very capable in its basic configuration, FWD with 3500 lbs of towing, 7" of ground clearance, no solid axles, no active safety features, and a stereo from 2010 Civic. But hey, at least it fits plywood flat on the floor and has a trunk. Although the truck stinks so bad from plastic resin that you can't put food in it.
Who would buy a FWD Ridgeline, and then why would you pick that one to quote towing capacity instead of the normal AWD 5000 lbs.? And how does the trunk smell compared to any other truck's trunk. Oh yeah, no other truck has a trunk.

I have a 1st generation Ridgeline. It can be locked into 4wd mode in first, second, and I believe reverse. It's no Baja basher, but it handles itself nicely in lots of nasty conditions. Wouldn't be first choice for off-roading though; agree with you on that. But as you mentioned, if really is an excellent everyday driver.
Sponsored

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The biggest thing that will help decide (other then price) is.. What do you plan on using it for?!?!
Just need more space in the back?
Plan on off roading?
Enjoy customizing your vehicle?
Do you just need a truck?

Thinking about these things could help you pick and maybe help us give feedback.

A few things to keep in mind is the Ridgeline is uni-body and shares a platform with the pilot. Probably no problem if you are okay with getting an SUV but just liking the truck look and utility that comes with having a bed to put things in. I remember the Explorer sport track, was more SUV then truck but they were pretty cool and useful. To me the Ridgeline is more for city use and more of a tool then a part of your life. Where any SUV will do just fine but you need to carry a few bags of dirt, or buying big (not heavy) things that are tricky to get in a lift gate but easy to throw in a big open box.

on the other side... its a Jeep. Yes this gets used a lot around here (mostly in a positive manner). But there is something about cruising around in a jeep that simply has no equal. The feeling (not the ride quality lol), the history, the look, and most importantly the Jeep wave! If you have driven a wrangler, you probably already know what I'm talking about, but if you have not, I HIGHLY recommend going and test driving a new JL wrangler.
Your "few bags of dirt" characterization is a little light, if you'll pardon the pun. My gen one Ridgeline has lived up to its half-ton (plus) label many times, hauling dirt, gravel, bricks, concrete blocks and so on. It's not an F150, etc., but it does a lot more than you might guess.

Mine's 12 years old and almost to 150k miles. Still runs and drives terrifically. Had a 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland hemi until February, and it was beautiful and fun. Will check out the Gladiator too when it's time to move on from the RL.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Are you looking to buy a Gladiator?
or just joined to brag about how much you like the Ridgeline? lol
I'm curious to this motive too.

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you looking to buy a Gladiator?
Not soon, but I am interested in them - joined this to read more about the vehicle. When it's time to move on from my current Ridgeline I'll consider the Gladiator. By that time there'll be a lot more info on them, not to mention some used units available. I like to buy late-model used vehicles when possible.

My RL is pretty ugly but at least it has some visual character, even if it's kinda goofy character. The second generation style is pretty darn boring to my eye. I'd rather be looking forward to something that's not only functional, but that I like more. I don't look at the new version RL and really wish I had one. The Gladiator might be that though. It's about the right size - been living well with a 5 passenger vehicle with 5 ft. bed for 8 years now - and I've always liked the looks/idea of the Wrangler. I will be concerned about how the Gladiator holds up - a big strength of the RL, but not as much of my 2011 JGC, which had the air suspension replaced twice (warranty once, then at a cost of 2k or so last year).

Will look forward to considering the Gladiator when I'm ready - probably a couple years.

Sponsored

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
or just joined to brag about how much you like the Ridgeline? lol
I'm curious to this motive too.
I'll be checking it out closely when it's time to replace the Ridgeline - probably a couple years. The RL been an excellent and enjoyable vehicle/tool for 8 years, and felt like the gratuitous bashing needed to be countered. Really enjoyed my beautiful Grand Cherokee too, but she was a little more temperamental/risky; recently replaced that vehicle at 134k miles after a couple of expensive repairs, and also wanted a 3rd row.

I like the Wrangler too, but am addicted to having a truck. So I'll be paying attention to the Gladiator between now and RL replacement time.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'll be checking it out closely when it's time to replace the Ridgeline - probably a couple years. The RL been an excellent and enjoyable vehicle/tool for 8 years, and felt like the gratuitous bashing needed to be countered. Really enjoyed my beautiful Grand Cherokee too, but she was a little more temperamental/risky; recently replaced that vehicle at 134k miles after a couple of expensive repairs, and also wanted a 3rd row.

I like the Wrangler too, but am addicted to having a truck. So I'll be paying attention to the Gladiator between now and RL replacement time.
my business partner has a ridgeline first gen, works pretty well for a road going machine, doubt it has much off-road ability. but each guy has his needs.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
my business partner has a ridgeline first gen, works pretty well for a road going machine, doubt it has much off-road ability. but each guy has his needs.
And really, that's all that matters. There really shouldn't be a head to head on the RL vs the Gladiator. They are two different tools that tackle different jobs. The Gladiator is a serious off road machine that is also a pickup truck. The RL is a CAR with a pickup bed. IMO, there is actually a lot to like in the 2nd Gen RL. It sure is a helluva lot better than the 1st gen attempt. The trunk in the pickup bed is fantastic IMO. I have a buddy with one. He uses the trunk as a cooler to carry his beer when he goes out with his dirt bikes.

Oh God, now I sound like I'm defending the RL. Excuse me while I go wash myself.

There, all better. It's a good CAR with a pickup bed. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't see how it compares with the Gladiator beyond the bed.

Sponsored

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And really, that's all that matters. There really shouldn't be a head to head on the RL vs the Gladiator. They are two different tools that tackle different jobs. The Gladiator is a serious off road machine that is also a pickup truck. The RL is a CAR with a pickup bed. IMO, there is actually a lot to like in the 2nd Gen RL. It sure is a helluva lot better than the 1st gen attempt. The trunk in the pickup bed is fantastic IMO. I have a buddy with one. He uses the trunk as a cooler to carry his beer when he goes out with his dirt bikes.

Oh God, now I sound like I'm defending the RL. Excuse me while I go wash myself.

There, all better. It's a good CAR with a pickup bed. Nothing wrong with that. I just don't see how it compares with the Gladiator beyond the bed.
Great points. The RL is terrific at what it is - has been ideal for me, for example - and the Gladiator looks like it's going to be a solid and really fun midsize truck with nasty off-road capability. Hopefully the price won't deter too many from buying, and then maybe I can snag a used one in a couple years :).

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great points. The RL is terrific at what it is - has been ideal for me, for example - and the Gladiator looks like it's going to be a solid and really fun midsize truck with nasty off-road capability. Hopefully the price won't deter too many from buying, and then maybe I can snag a used one in a couple years :).
If the ridgeline was a convertible I would consider it.

Chukronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Both similar in certain respects. Jeep took their popular wrangler and added a bed. Honda took their polar minivan and added a bed.

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol, it'll haul plywood without notching for the gas filler neck too.[/QUOTE
Both similar in certain respects. Jeep took their popular wrangler and added a bed. Honda took their polar minivan and added a bed.
I think they started with the Pilot, but could be wrong. Ridgeline has heavier/stronger suspension components than Pilot though.

Pleease.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The biggest thing that will help decide (other then price) is.. What do you plan on using it for?!?!
Just need more space in the back?
Plan on off roading?
Enjoy customizing your vehicle?
Do you just need a truck?

Thinking about these things could help you pick and maybe help us give feedback.

A few things to keep in mind is the Ridgeline is uni-body and shares a platform with the pilot. Probably no problem if you are okay with getting an SUV but just liking the truck look and utility that comes with having a bed to put things in. I remember the Explorer sport track, was more SUV then truck but they were pretty cool and useful. To me the Ridgeline is more for city use and more of a tool then a part of your life. Where any SUV will do just fine but you need to carry a few bags of dirt, or buying big (not heavy) things that are tricky to get in a lift gate but easy to throw in a big open box.

on the other side... its a Jeep. Yes this gets used a lot around here (mostly in a positive manner). But there is something about cruising around in a jeep that simply has no equal. The feeling (not the ride quality lol), the history, the look, and most importantly the Jeep wave! If you have driven a wrangler, you probably already know what I'm talking about, but if you have not, I HIGHLY recommend going and test driving a new JL wrangler.
“A few bags of dirt...nothing heavy? You’re attempting to be funny, right? It shares some components with the Pilot, but there are significantly heavier components - especially in the suspension. This is a full-on half-ton truck. Also, 5000lb towing capacity - on all trim levels may not be F150 level but it’s nothing to sneeze at.

I have a 12 year old first-generation Ridgeline that I bet has hauled more sh!t than most full-size pickups. I’ve had the bed overflowing with damp topsoil many times, as well as carried gravel, jammed-full lumber loads, appliances, furniture. It handles just about anything I can fit in there....and of course with a cab full of comfortable passengers and my chain saw, golf clubs and who knows what else locked safely in the trunk.

And it hauls my tractor & (obviously) its trailer - maybe 3000lbs? - without straining, even on windy, hilly gravel roads.

It drives as well as an SUV, but in my world it’s a very capable truck.
Sponsored