Sponsored

Cummins R2.8 swap for your JT?

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Didn't want to post in the the "3.0L ecodiesel" section and there is no engine swap section yet so I figured I'd try here.

So Cummins offers a crate engine R2.8 ( 161 hp, 310 ftlb) Diesel with everything you need to stick it in whatever you want for $8,999. on their website it says that it uses jeep manual transmissions or there are currently aftermarket adapters for the wiring harness to make it work with the ZF8HP70.

For me, this is an interesting option for an engine swap for a few reasons. First you get the legendary name and reliability of Cummins. Also, no need to add DEF.

Thoughts? I know some here are already eyeballing hemi swaps and others have their hearts set on manual diesels.
Sponsored

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Have you considered a RIPP supercharger? If handled correctly, it won't void warranty, and it doesn't have any negative side effects on the V6 engine and components. In fact, baseline you'll see 1.5MPG avg increase, up to a max of 8MPG increase, depending on your driving patterns. What you also get of course is an increase of 200+horsepower, and 150ftlb of torque. They run around 5k, and I bet I could make some of that money back on the drag strip against some raptor or charger owners.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't want to post in the the "3.0L ecodiesel" section and there is no engine swap section yet so I figured I'd try here.

So Cummins offers a crate engine R2.8 ( 161 hp, 310 ftlb) Diesel with everything you need to stick it in whatever you want for $8,999. on their website it says that it uses jeep manual transmissions or there are currently aftermarket adapters for the wiring harness to make it work with the ZF8HP70.

For me, this is an interesting option for an engine swap for a few reasons. First you get the legendary name and reliability of Cummins. Also, no need to add DEF.

Thoughts? I know some here are already eyeballing hemi swaps and others have their hearts set on manual diesels.
Wont be smog compliant for most people. Also once you add in labor for the swap (unless your doing it yourself) it will be much cheaper to just buy the EcoDiesel.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Have you considered a RIPP supercharger? If handled correctly, it won't void warranty, and it doesn't have any negative side effects on the V6 engine and components. In fact, baseline you'll see 1.5MPG avg increase, up to a max of 8MPG increase, depending on your driving patterns. What you also get of course is an increase of 200+horsepower, and 150ftlb of torque. They run around 5k, and I bet I could make some of that money back on the drag strip against some raptor or charger owners.
Are you affiliated with RIPP? Can you clarify on how it won't void warranty? What are the benefits/downsides in choosing this over turbo charge? The 8 MPG imo seems overstated but I don't know anything when it comes to forced induction. I'm just curious because I'm looking into this in the future.

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
No I am not. I will have to get back to this with some hard evidence, I'm too busy. The 8MPG is a reported maximum from a customer. I was watching a few videos on them, that's where I'm getting my information. The MPG data comes from customers. And in the videos, they run the supercharged jeeps on a dyno, and show on the computer the results. I watched a few review videos from other sources that report being able to negate the risk of voiding the warranty. I will attempt to offer more hard evidence in the future, and edit this post then.

BTW with more horsepower, and torque, depending on the individual it is likely necessary to upgrade some other parts of the transmission (especially with higher rotational mass, ie 37in tires, or a heavy payload), which is completely understandable and not something that deters me from this decision at all.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Malarkey21

Malarkey21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 1993 BMW 325is, 2016 Triumph Street Twin
Wont be smog compliant for most people. Also once you add in labor for the swap (unless your doing it yourself) it will be much cheaper to just buy the EcoDiesel.
totally valid points, I would for sure be up to do the swap myself. Couple 6 packs of ideas and a weekend or two with buddies sounds like a good time.

Smog is interesting point, their blanket is "check with you laws" but I've seen some people doing the swaps in cali. For me, here in Michigan it would be okay lol.

Onebigyoshi

First Name
Haruyoshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting grey M/T. Prius...
Anyone know how hard it'll be to swap out the auto for manual in the 3.0 eco diesel?

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The difficult part will probably be finding a manual transmission that will fit and can handle the added torque. They aren't offering it with the manual transmission from the JL for a reason.

Also it comes down to how tied in the controllers are for engine and transmission, might have to wait for separate controllers for both.