Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
This is actually not true...

I just priced out a 2018 Sport S vs. a Rubicon with everything the same as possible on kbb.com and the Rubicon was worth more than $11,300 more...

I’m sure it didn’t cost that much more when bought...

A factory optioned vehicle will always command more money than one where an individual added stuff to his in an attempt to bring it up to Rubicon level performance
I never said anything about ADDING stuff. I simply stated that the Sport holds a higher residual percentage of MSRP. It has nothing to do with overall value. It’s about less loss, not overall value retained. If you were correct, it would be cheaper to lease a Rubicon than it would be to lease a sport, and that is just not the case.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Resale on the Rubicon will always be superior as well.
Not true. Banks track resale value extensively for the purpose of formulating lease residuals and the Sport has maintained a higher value than Rubicon in the JL Wrangler world since it came out over a year ago. No reason to think the JL Gladiator will be different.

I keep hearing this mentioned regularly. How really is the Rubicon's transfer case more beneficial for offroading and trails, and NOT rock climbing? I'm sure most of us who will purchase the Gladiator will not rock climb to the same extent as a JL/JLU on 35s.

I too am struggling with the same question as OP.
Here on the eastern U.S. trails, most guys I wheel with and have talked to do not like the RockTrac t-case. That 4:1 ratio is almost useless. You need a good balance of gearing and wheel speed to handle the trails around here, and the Rubicon is like a farm tractor. That's why most guys around here never use 4-low if they have a Rubicon. To me, it defeats the purpose.

Side note that I'll add to the original post: The Rubicon and Sport can be configured to tow similar amounts, BUT, the Rubicon can't get anywhere near the Sport's maximum payload numbers. That is a huge consideration if you actually plan to haul things with the truck, especially if you have a family.

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Not true. Banks track resale value extensively for the purpose of formulating lease residuals and the Sport has maintained a higher value than Rubicon in the JL Wrangler world since it came out over a year ago. No reason to think the JL Gladiator will be different.

Here on the eastern U.S. trails, most guys I wheel with and have talked to do not like the RockTrac t-case. That 4:1 ratio is almost useless. You need a good balance of gearing and wheel speed to handle the trails around here, and the Rubicon is like a farm tractor. That's why most guys around here never use 4-low if they have a Rubicon. To me, it defeats the purpose.

Side note that I'll add to the original post: The Rubicon and Sport can be configured to tow similar amounts, BUT, the Rubicon can't get anywhere near the Sport's maximum payload numbers. That is a huge consideration if you actually plan to haul things with the truck, especially if you have a family.
What’s a JL Gladiator?!

Swatstar10

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
I want the Rubicon, but as soon as I buy it, the stock suspension and wheels/tires will be coming off for a lift and Black Rhino/35s. It is difficult for me to decide which way to go.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I’ll explain a little further with this example which assumes the exact same percentage of residual at 90% after the first year. A Rubi which had an original MSRP of $40k (for this exercise) would be worth $36k at the end of the year. A Sport which had an original MSRP of $35k would be worth $31,500 at the end of the same period. While the value of the Rubicon remains higher and may appear to be a better value, it actually lost $500 more in residual value than the Sport. The real residual percentages are actually higher for the Sport, so it results in less loss. Resale price is not (or shouldn’t be) the target when evaluating resale value. The contrary argument could be that you get more fun out of a Rubicon, offsetting the greater loss in value.

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, my real world experience vs...?

Obviously, there are folks that want to believe the opinions of people with no experience vs. people with experience on this, and many, many other topics.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Hey, my real world experience vs...?

Obviously, there are folks that want to believe the opinions of people with no experience vs. people with experience on this, and many, many other topics.
You are clearly unaware of the economics involved. I promise you the banks who finance leases are not losing money. Let’s agree to disagree on this one...

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
I keep hearing this mentioned regularly. How really is the Rubicon's transfer case more beneficial for offroading and trails, and NOT rock climbing? I'm sure most of us who will purchase the Gladiator will not rock climb to the same extent as a JL/JLU on 35s.

I too am struggling with the same question as OP.
Since the Rubicon has the Rock-Trac, they should rename the Sport transfer case to the Trail-Trac. After reading these threads, I see everyone's point about going Sport S.

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
Perhaps for your area of the east, but for the glacier-deposit rocky trails in PA (Rausch Creek and AOAA), I love the 4:1 low gear, I'll only shift to high gear if we're picking up speed down the access road back to the park office. My Rubi replaced an XJ on 35s and the 4:1 t-case has spoiled me for rock crawling... I don't want anything else. The XJ did fine with its standard 2.7:1 low gear and 4.56 axle gears, but the Rubicon just does it better when finesse is needed.

Actually, thinking about it a little more... I've done rock trails in PA, soft sand beaches in DE, desert trails in UT, forest trails in VA, AZ, CO, UT and WY, mining trails in CO and a little mountain trail action in UT plus Moab. I've never felt hindered by the 4:1 low gear. I've either used 4-high just to have a little extra traction at a moderate speed and use the swaybar disconnect or 4-low for actually needing the traction and finesse.

Sponsored

drace99

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Chevrolet Corvette
Can we get leather on the Sport S model?
Also, does the 4.10 rear decrease gas mileage at all?

FallenSamurai

First Name
Fallen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 XJ
As long as it has air conditioning, I'll be cool with the super sport.

The only items I wish were an option is the color matching hardtop and the steel bumpers. The bumpers can be easily done aftermarket, but I am not sure of the hardtop.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Plus, add $1000 for cab rock rails, then maybe $300 for the bed rock rails, and $600 for the high Rubicon fenders and now you are looking at a difference of $1965. Then go to the 33 inch MT's at $1000 and that price difference drops below $1000. Plus the rubicon will have lockers, a sway bar disconnect and a better suspension.

I did them same thing, built the Sport S and Rubicon as similar as possible and came up with a $4370 difference, then added the items I just mentioned. The Rubicon is definitely the way to go for me.
Gets bigger brakes too. Wait, those prolly come with max tow. But the Rubi does get better fabric upholstery too.

JTR for moi.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I want the Rubicon, but as soon as I buy it, the stock suspension and wheels/tires will be coming off for a lift and Black Rhino/35s. It is difficult for me to decide which way to go.
This will probably help my decision later. I don't need the t-case, but want the Rubicon take-offs that can easily go onto a sport.
Sponsored