F150 ride quality compared to Wrangler

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Well guys sounds like this Gladiator will be a winner for me. I’m no stranger to some Hwy. wander. I have 33” Nitto’s on my Ford.
So time to decide on a colour and buy some
plywood!

5C388296-59B6-4019-A09B-848A3E1903C8.jpeg
Yeah! out with the boring.....
Sponsored

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Just my $0.02.

The Jeep is fine around town and fine on the HWY if you dont plan on modifying it. I am a 2013 JKU owner but have friends that and family that are die hard Ford guys. Both the newer F150s and Super Duties ride 10x better IMO. I'm not sure why but even the SFA Super Duty still steers fantastic while the Jeep has a lot of loose play in the steering. My Jeep guys will not say thats the case but if you drive them back to back you'll notice it.

Once you mod the Jeep thing change for both the better and the worst. I have AEV's 2.5" kit on my JKU and the bigger tires (35s) and new shocks made it ride better and more stable. The trade off though is it wonders a lot more on Freeway, and even with the regear is a dog when trying to drive 70 MPH+.

I drive a lot of long trips for hiking, snowboarding and camping and the HWY manners are main reason I'm not considering Gladiator. Its hands down my biggest concern as my current JKU just makes me feel exhausted by the time I get anywhere if the drive is over 2 hours.
Sorry to hear that.... I have (well had since I just sold) 35's and RK 2.5" lift on my JKU. While it did tramline a good bit and of course a lot of roadnoise ….err tire noise. I did not feel exhausted on long drives. I did regear to 4.56's, I think that helped

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Well guys sounds like this Gladiator will be a winner for me. I’m no stranger to some Hwy. wander. I have 33” Nitto’s on my Ford.
/QUOTE]

Its not the same.

I have driven Raptors with 37's and long travel kits and they still dont wonder near as much as the Jeep. Add in a cross wind and the Jeep is like a sail boat. The solid front axel is a totally different animal compared to the IFS fronts on the F150. Since both front wheels are connected a disruption to the front left and you notice it in the whole front end and vise versa.

The longer wheel base on the Gladiator might help a little, but so far from what I have seen on the driving reviews so far both the Wrangler and Gladiator drive a lot of the same.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that.... I have (well had since I just sold) 35's and RK 2.5" lift on my JKU. While it did tramline a good bit and of course a lot of roadnoise ….err tire noise. I did not feel exhausted on long drives. I did regear to 4.56's, I think that helped
What are your average HWY speeds? I think that might be a big part of it. Here in Idaho outside big cites the speed limits are 80 MPH on the HWY and in UT, OR WY its the same or 70-75 MPH. For me keeping the Jeep at speed even with the regear is still a challenge. Cruise control helps the right leg. But I also feel like is sketchy in long sweeping turns or driving through mountain passes so I usually have to slow way down for those.

With that said I think the new 8 speed trans and diesel might fix two of those issues. The handling though is the one big factor that might keep me away. I'm in no hurry as I have waited this long so I might just wait till the Diesel is out and go test drive one.
Sponsored