Lanyard

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Hello,

I'm a noob to the technical side of Jeep. My first ride in the mid-80s was a Grand Cherokee, then had a Wrangler in the early 2000's. I told my wife to get a JKU, but she opted for a Ford Explorer. Now I'm due for a vehicle and she said, "Get a Jeep". I started researching the JLUs last year, but the lack of towing capability and relatively small cargo area had been a hang-up, but now, Jeep Truck! The Gladiator, to me, is what compromise looks like in a relationship :)

The Tow Max option gives the JT Sport longer axels and if I'm reading the specs correctly, a wider track. These appear to be the same size axles/track as the Rubicon. But in looking at the pictures of the Rubicon and Overland that have been released, it does not appear the wider track changes the "stance" of the vehicle. The Rubicon appears to achieve a bit more aggressiveness via the larger tires.

The wheel/tire size for the Tow Max Sport stays the same as the stock Sport/S, but the tires are upgraded to A/T, which should give it a bit more aggressive appearance, but I think my anticipation of the wider track is that it would also extend the wheels past the body limit a bit.

Just trying to figure out where my expectations should be. I don't have a regular need to tow over 4,000 lbs, but it feels a bit like horsepower on a boat..... maximization of what it's used for never leaves you unhappy. I don't off road on anything other than flatland trails for hunting/kayaking/fishing/camping, so the Rubicon would be overkill and I'd pretty much be a poser. When researching the JLU it appeared the recommendation for my weekend thrills is a Sport S, then customize off of that with things I'll find functional going forward. But the Tow Max Sport, per specs, seems like it should make a bit more impression than a standard Sport/S.

I sincerely appreciate any insight into any particular outcomes the longer axles might have on the operations and appearance of the vehicle.

I've had Gladiator on my mind since the reveal, contacted a local dealer already, and started looking at one way ticket costs to areas with more aggressive price discounts. I can't tell if what I'm feeling is anticipation since they won't announce price/availability/etc or if it's shame for literally being in a "shut up and take my money" position.
Sponsored

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Hello Lanyard and welcome to the forum! I will answer your post in a series of answers from what we know so far from the detailed spec sheets we have received and correlating the packages to its JL counterpart.

The Max Tow package for the Gladiator upgrades several key components over the base Sport/Sport S running gear to hit the target towing figures of 7,650lbs. The Max Tow package on the Sport/Sport S provides the M210 and M220 wide-track axles with 4.10 gears (3.6L) nearly identical to the Rubicon axles excluding electronic locking differentials front and rear. We still do not know whether or not the Max Tow axles will have CV shafts or U-Joints at this point. The wide track axles are actually 1.5" wider than the standard axles and because of the added width the mold-in-color fender flares specific to the Rubicon trims (and now the Sport/Sport S Max Tow package) are added for additional coverage. The wording is the same regarding the flare configuration on the Max Tow Sport/Sport S documentation that is used for the Rubicons with the same axle configuration. It is highly unlikely that the Max Tow will include added height flares like the Rubicon but instead they will provide the extra coverage as well as the daytime running lights/marker light setup. Tires will likely be the same height as other Sport/Sport S models depending on which packages are chosen in the configurator as the limited-slip option on the JL swaps out the street tires for a more aggressive all season.

I think the introduction of the Max Tow package for the Gladiator is really a game changer for a lot of us, myself included. The package, coupled with a few others, will get the Sport S Gladiator somewhat close to a Rubicon with the running gear and rear limited slip differential. This is not to say the Sport S is a Rubicon, it certainly is not, but if the axles and gearing are what you after with the added benefit of a seriously good midsize towing rating it is a clear winner. For a lot of Gladiator buyers not necessarily needing the full gamete of features a Rubicon offers the Max Tow Sport S will be a worthy choice. I will take a long hard look at spec'ing out a Sport S before going with a Rubicon. Hopefully I helped answer some of your questions.

OP
OP

Lanyard

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Wraith
Hello Lanyard and welcome to the forum! I will answer your post in a series of answers from what we know so far from the detailed spec sheets we have received and correlating the packages to its JL counterpart.

The Max Tow package for the Gladiator upgrades several key components over the base Sport/Sport S running gear to hit the target towing figures of 7,650lbs. The Max Tow package on the Sport/Sport S provides the M210 and M220 wide-track axles with 4.10 gears (3.6L) nearly identical to the Rubicon axles excluding electronic locking differentials front and rear. We still do not know whether or not the Max Tow axles will have CV shafts or U-Joints at this point. The wide track axles are actually 1.5" wider than the standard axles and because of the added width the mold-in-color fender flares specific to the Rubicon trims (and now the Sport/Sport S Max Tow package) are added for additional coverage. The wording is the same regarding the flare configuration on the Max Tow Sport/Sport S documentation that is used for the Rubicons with the same axle configuration. It is highly unlikely that the Max Tow will include added height flares like the Rubicon but instead they will provide the extra coverage as well as the daytime running lights/marker light setup. Tires will likely be the same height as other Sport/Sport S models depending on which packages are chosen in the configurator as the limited-slip option on the JL swaps out the street tires for a more aggressive all season.

I think the introduction of the Max Tow package for the Gladiator is really a game changer for a lot of us, myself included. The package, coupled with a few others, will get the Sport S Gladiator somewhat close to a Rubicon with the running gear and rear limited slip differential. This is not to say the Sport S is a Rubicon, it certainly is not, but if the axles and gearing are what you after with the added benefit of a seriously good midsize towing rating it is a clear winner. For a lot of Gladiator buyers not necessarily needing the full gamete of features a Rubicon offers the Max Tow Sport S will be a worthy choice. I will take a long hard look at spec'ing out a Sport S before going with a Rubicon. Hopefully I helped answer some of your questions.
Wraith, Thanks!

Exactly what I was looking for.

I'll likely be the same; I won't get the value out of a Rubicon, but lifestyle wise I need something a little, more. My son (10) and I had our first adventure this last summer, we have a lot more ground to cover!

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Wraith

Wraith, Thanks!

Exactly what I was looking for.

I'll likely be the same; I won't get the value out of a Rubicon, but lifestyle wise I need something a little, more. My son (10) and I had our first adventure this last summer, we have a lot more ground to cover!
Absolutely, more than glad to help answer your question. I look forward to taking my kids on their first adventure come next spring once I get my Gladiator. They are still quite young but are now always pointing out and yelling "JEEP!" when we see one. Proud papa here.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
Absolutely, more than glad to help answer your question. I look forward to taking my kids on their first adventure come next spring once I get my Gladiator. They are still quite young but are now always pointing out and yelling "JEEP!" when we see one. Proud papa here.

Wraith, I agree my kids are older than yours but ever since we got rid of our last Jeep all they have done is ask me to get rid of my truck and by another Jeep. I told them they had to wait for the Jeep Truck. They are all over it and now ask me all the time when we are getting (doesn't help with the wait). Now they don't want to wait for the color I want. I guess there are worse problems to have, here's hoping to be able to go on adventures by next fall, if they have changed my mind on the color maybe spring.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
My 2.5 year old daughter likes to point out Jeeps as well.

OP
OP

Lanyard

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Since our Wrangler days we've delineated "Jeep" as a brand and "Jeepy Jeep" as the real Jeeps :)

We also name all of our vehicles. The JT will be called "JT" for standard conversation, but it:s code name will be "Timberlake"

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
Wraith, I agree my kids are older than yours but ever since we got rid of our last Jeep all they have done is ask me to get rid of my truck and by another Jeep. I told them they had to wait for the Jeep Truck. They are all over it and now ask me all the time when we are getting (doesn't help with the wait). Now they don't want to wait for the color I want. I guess there are worse problems to have, here's hoping to be able to go on adventures by next fall, if they have changed my mind on the color maybe spring.
It's funny how kids latch on to the fun vehicles. I had a Tacoma before my JKU and have considered going back since we got our big popup... but the kids say "does the top come off? do the doors come off? then... no... don't get rid of the Jeep."

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
It's funny how kids latch on to the fun vehicles. I had a Tacoma before my JKU and have considered going back since we got our big popup... but the kids say "does the top come off? do the doors come off? then... no... don't get rid of the Jeep."
Smart kid haha

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I'm looking at doing the same thing but adding air lockers. It should save a lot of cash compared to a Rubicon.

Sponsored

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I wouldn't do a Rubi due to the 4-1 t case. The 8 speed has a 4-1 first gear so a 4-1 t-case isn't needed anymore. In all but the most extreme rock crawling, I hated the Rubicon 4-1 case in the JK. It's too dang low and I found myself using high range more than I wanted. The 8 speed makes a JL/JT Rubicon T-case even less even desirable. YEMV

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I wouldn't do a Rubi due to the 4-1 t case. The 8 speed has a 4-1 first gear so a 4-1 t-case isn't needed anymore. In all but the most extreme rock crawling, I hated the Rubicon 4-1 case in the JK. It's too dang low and I found myself using high range more than I wanted. The 8 speed makes a JL/JT Rubicon T-case even less even desirable. YEMV
Will be interesting once this early group gets their JTs, to hear about this. I want 4:10 so it stays at one or two mph. I'll go 70 if that's all it does. Others want 80 fwy with a trailer. Excited to see what people say once they drive...

MadMax

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I'm a noob to the technical side of Jeep. My first ride in the mid-80s was a Grand Cherokee, then had a Wrangler in the early 2000's. I told my wife to get a JKU, but she opted for a Ford Explorer. Now I'm due for a vehicle and she said, "Get a Jeep". I started researching the JLUs last year, but the lack of towing capability and relatively small cargo area had been a hang-up, but now, Jeep Truck! The Gladiator, to me, is what compromise looks like in a relationship :)

The Tow Max option gives the JT Sport longer axels and if I'm reading the specs correctly, a wider track. These appear to be the same size axles/track as the Rubicon. But in looking at the pictures of the Rubicon and Overland that have been released, it does not appear the wider track changes the "stance" of the vehicle. The Rubicon appears to achieve a bit more aggressiveness via the larger tires.

The wheel/tire size for the Tow Max Sport stays the same as the stock Sport/S, but the tires are upgraded to A/T, which should give it a bit more aggressive appearance, but I think my anticipation of the wider track is that it would also extend the wheels past the body limit a bit.

Just trying to figure out where my expectations should be. I don't have a regular need to tow over 4,000 lbs, but it feels a bit like horsepower on a boat..... maximization of what it's used for never leaves you unhappy. I don't off road on anything other than flatland trails for hunting/kayaking/fishing/camping, so the Rubicon would be overkill and I'd pretty much be a poser. When researching the JLU it appeared the recommendation for my weekend thrills is a Sport S, then customize off of that with things I'll find functional going forward. But the Tow Max Sport, per specs, seems like it should make a bit more impression than a standard Sport/S.

I sincerely appreciate any insight into any particular outcomes the longer axles might have on the operations and appearance of the vehicle.

I've had Gladiator on my mind since the reveal, contacted a local dealer already, and started looking at one way ticket costs to areas with more aggressive price discounts. I can't tell if what I'm feeling is anticipation since they won't announce price/availability/etc or if it's shame for literally being in a "shut up and take my money" position.
The max tow option adds wider fenders, thats why you're not seeing a difference in stance. compare a sport s with max tow and a sport without and you will see the difference.