landersen

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Unlimited Sahara
Quick question.

I don't have the best eye site. Is there a way to get the 8.4" touchscreen on the Sport S model? Or would it be easier just to go with an aftermarket unit?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
You may be able to get a dealer to install it for you, but generally people are saying modifying the electrical systems of new vehicles is sketchy.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
i read over on the JL site that it has been done successfully on a Sport S. No t sure if they ended up with absolutely 100% functionality, something tho. A lot of money to purchase a unit :lipssealed:

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Alpine sounds nice, but it's over double the cost of the 8.4" UConnect system and it requires additional modules for steering wheel integration, etc. If it was me I'd just upgrade to the OE stuff like JL owners are doing.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I'll either bring going alpine audio or insane audio for my wife's JLU and when I finally get a Gladiator.

https://insaneaudio.com
Those head units are..... Insane. Lol:giggle:

Do they have youtube built in? Do they have a cellphone connection too? That's what a modern unit should be. That's awesome.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Those head units are..... Insane. Lol:giggle:

Do they have youtube built in? Do they have a cellphone connection too? That's what a modern unit should be. That's awesome.
I want to get some more details from them, but the fact that it runs android makes me think it has a built in cell signal connection. It will run any android app from the information I was given as well as apple car play.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I want to get some more details from them, but the fact that it runs android makes me think it has a built in cell signal connection. It will run any android app from the information I was given as well as apple car play.
That's what I want. Basically an in dash cellphone. That's basically what it becomes with android auto anyway.

Any Android app is cool. I can put my plywood material estimate calculator, right on the home page!

RTDNECO

First Name
Artie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but this company offers oem radios for the JLs (shared component with the gladiator):

https://www.infotainment.com/collec...-navigation-radio-uconnect-uaq-4c-nav-upgrade

The issue is with the HVAC system. The 5.0 screen (standard on sport and sport s) has a volume knob integrated into the area where the replacement head unit is. You’ll need to use the volume knob on back of the steering wheel.

It’s less of an issue with the 7.0 upgrade (standard on overland and rubi) as you get a volume knob below the screen.

From my understanding, the company pairs your VIN with the radio so it registers with FCA/Chrysler/Jeep.

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
If your main reason for upgrading to the 8.4 is your poor eyesight (and not the added features), should you really be in control of a 5,000lb vehicle going 75mph?

TvYL6qow.png

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I just heard back from insaneaudio, sad that it won't have built in data but works on wifi via hotspot. They do expect to release the head unit within the next 2 months though, so should be interesting to see what it is equipped with.
Sponsored