Overland or Rubicon - Can't Decide

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
Every few days i go back to thinking maybe I want an overland, but then I remember the Rubicon can tow more.
Which means more plywood. Unless all JT's are limited to 19 sheets,,,,
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
well if 19 maxes out the payload of both, the Rubicon could tow a heavier load of plywood (in addition to the bed 19 sheets) in my 5x8 plywood trailer. like the trifecta of plywood!

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
If overland had max tow, it would be my choice. But, I am thinking the Rubicon is the way to go.

I wonder if the dealership would be able to add the maxtow option to the overland .
Possible, but that would be prohibitively expensive!

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Y’all ever wonder what the new visitors to this forum think when every single thread they read has a plywood reference, but they don’t know why? I think it hilarious...

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Y’all ever wonder what the new visitors to this forum think when every single thread they read has a plywood reference, but they don’t know why? I think it hilarious...
Its like our little inside joke. :giggle:

Sponsored

Island Gladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Venza
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and also can't decide between the Overland and Rubicon. I like the interior of the Overland but the exterior looks of the Rubicon. I also plan to upgrade the wheels to 20" rims with 35" tires. I live on an island so there isn't much opportunity to go off-road. Don't really care about the electronic sway bar, 4:10 gear ratio etc. I also don't plan to tow heavy pay loads.

Here's my question, would I be able to fit these rims on the Overland without having to lift the truck? I believe this can be done on the Rubicon since it is lifted higher than the Overland. If I have to lift or modify the Overland to fit these rims then it might make more sense to just go with the Rubicon.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

Chukronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Are the axles on the overland good enough that you can switch the gears to 4.88 and put 37's on it?

Sponsored

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Are the axles on the overland good enough that you can switch the gears to 4.88 and put 37's on it?
You will need to add about 4k for stronger chromoly drive shaft and other parts to reenforce the attachment points

Chukronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I am leaning toward the overland with a 4.88 regear. I like the interior better and I think that will be harder to replace than the gears. My main concern is the wide HD axles that I will be missing out on.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
With the recent towing test with tfl trucks it makes me look more at the overland. If the sport s or Rubi struggled with just 7k and they see no one towing those numbers why not go with overland with 6k towing and call it a day. I guess the 7k towing would be okay if you were going to go around local but if your really only going to tow about 5k max I say overland and you have a better ride road wize.
Sponsored