Overlanding Build Questions/Payload Capacity

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
Question: Would the JT Rubicon suit my needs for overlanding? I have concerns on the Rubicon's max payload capacity. Seeking advice from experienced overlanders.

Rubicon payload capacity (Standard) = 1190lbs.

Family of 4 = 650lbs.
Tent/awning = 200lbs.
Steel Bumper = 50lbs.
Winch = 100lbs.
35 inch tire = 15lbs. (Weight difference between 33 and 35 spare tire)

1190lbs. - 1015lbs. = 175lbs.

I have 175lbs. Left for for food, water, clothes, tools, safety gear, and additional equipment.

I am assuming I would need to purchase heavy duty shocks/springs. Is this correct? I will lift my Gladiator but from my understanding most lifts actually worsens your vehicle's payload capacity right?
Sponsored

nate320

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite JTLE Ordered, switched to the dark(er) side: Black JTLE
Are you dead set on a Rubicon? EVO Off-road did a nice build with a Sport S; Max tow gets your payload up to 1,535lbs but I donā€™t actually know if that number is still true after everything they did to it. They have a few videos on YouTube that cover what they did and the price difference.

OP
OP
Reasons

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
Are you dead set on a Rubicon? EVO Off-road did a nice build with a Sport S; Max tow gets your payload up to 1,535lbs but I donā€™t actually know if that number is still true after everything they did to it. They have a few videos on YouTube that cover what they did and the price difference.
No, I'm not dead set on a Rubicon. I have watched every single video on EVO's Gladiator build. Amazing rig.

The Sport S will net me an additional 585lbs. to work with in stock form. However, wondering how a lift influences the payload capacity?

I priced out a similarily optioned Sport S and a Rubicon and the difference was only $3500 (based on invoice pricing). Then add rock rails and the difference is probably around $2500. Rubicon just seems worth it TO ME. However, based on my needs, the Rubicon may not be the right choice. Just looking for ways/suggestions on how I can make it work.

skinnee

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
It depends , Iā€™m in Australia and looking at the same , one you add on weight to the sport s such as bar work like rock sliders and rear steel bar youā€™re ending up with closer to rubicon payload.

It depends on protection you add to the sport s I guess.

In Australia changing suspension doesnā€™t change the payload unless itā€™s engineered by an engineer with the correct items and certified by the road authority, not sure on USA rules.

skinnee

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I find the whole Jeep Gladiator marketing misleading as you need to read the fine print to understand whatā€™s really going on. 1600 lbs isnā€™t much for remote touring for a few weeks in Australia if thatā€™s what you do in USA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reasons

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
It depends , Iā€™m in Australia and looking at the same , one you add on weight to the sport s such as bar work like rock sliders and rear steel bar youā€™re ending up with closer to rubicon payload.

It depends on protection you add to the sport s I guess.

In Australia changing suspension doesnā€™t change the payload unless itā€™s engineered by an engineer with the correct items and certified by the road authority, not sure on USA rules.
Probably the same. I'm not sure either. I've seen so many videos of Toyota Tacomas, 4 Runners, Wrangler Rubicons, and Land Rover overland builds and it seems like they are all at or past their payload capacities. Especially the Rubicons floating around YouTube. Makes me wonder how they get away with it.

OP
OP
Reasons

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Enabler
I find the whole Jeep Gladiator marketing misleading as you need to read the fine print to understand whatā€™s really going on. 1600 lbs isnā€™t much for remote touring for a few weeks in Australia if thatā€™s what you do in USA.
I see your point. I guess I should state that my use will be light trails to camp sites with the family for 2-3 days max. Definitely dont plan to do what you guys do down under.

skinnee

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Yeah Iā€™m the same, not do any extended family camping , for me the rubicon has enough protection and ability stock and enough payload for a weeks camping, if I buy the sport s the cost increase in some protection and weight increases close to a rubicon so no brainer for me

skinnee

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Also consider a small off-road trailer for long extended camping , a few ex military ones used here in Australia as equipment trailers to avoid the overloading issues

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Probably the same. I'm not sure either. I've seen so many videos of Toyota Tacomas, 4 Runners, Wrangler Rubicons, and Land Rover overland builds and it seems like they are all at or past their payload capacities. Especially the Rubicons floating around YouTube. Makes me wonder how they get away with it.
From everything I've ever read or heard is that the only way to get the numbers on your door changed is to have your vehicle re-certified by the manufacturer. If you ever could find a manufacturer that would do it it would probably be extremely expensive.

As for the topic, I'm in the same boat as you. I want the features of the Rubicon, but the payload of the sport s. I also plan on pulling a small camper. The route I'm planning on going is installing airbags. I will stay under the numbers, but the airbags will eliminate squat, and should tow and haul better.

Sponsored

hoch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Remember the GVWR is set by the manufacturer. Not by a government agency. Yes, all those vehicles you see are most likely way over payload. Some run into issues, some donā€™t. I personally want to keep it within factory payload no matter what you change, suspension wise. (Also remember itā€™s not just suspension, but the frame, brakes, etc). This is one of the reasons Iā€™m getting rid of my Tacoma with a measles 990lb payload for a Sport, which hopefully will be close to 1,600.

whatevah

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.whatevah.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Mojave
Occupation
EMT
My 2-door JK lives 200lbs over GVWR every day. 35" tires, skids, f/r steel bumpers, tire carrier, winch, fridge (yes, year-round), compressor, tank, recovery tote, etc. I can only imagine how much it weighs when I add the extra stuff for trips. And, for my big trips, I pull a M416-style trailer that's around 1600lbs. I didn't realize how much it weighed until a few months back when I was on the scale at the local landfill. I'm really looking forward to the extra payload of the JT, but I'll also be looking at aluminum skids and synthetic cable for the winch and keep the stock Rubi bumpers vs heavier aftermarket models. (And, yes... need to put my JK on a diet this summer.)

I have an AEV 2.5" lift and it has done well with no obvious sagging over the 5 years since I lifted it, but can definitely feel the weight when braking (gets a lot better when I switch to stock tires) and in the gas mileage. Again, looking forward to the bigger brakes in the JT.

My non-lawyer advice is that I wouldn't worry about only having 175lbs of payload available... springs in the better lift kits are usually spec'ed for carrying extra weight and will give a stock Jeep a little extra boost until you weigh it down.

T3hIce

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
You need to add 150 lbs to your payload. When they test for payload they add 150 lb driver.

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ā€˜17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ā€˜73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Not wanting to get flamed....
Iā€™m by no means an expert engineer but been playing with cars for a while. Racing, etc.
If Jeep is anything like some other German
sports car makers, the numbers put out by marketing are usually conservative.
This kind of safeguards them in lawsuits from idiots who push things to the nth degree. There is usually some percentage of wiggle room in there for safety. How much? Well, buyer beware. If you stay in a reasonable range on loads Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be fine. When things start wearing, bearings/carriers etc. well time to dial back.
Main thing is handling of these rigs.
Steering and brakes need to NOT BE OVERWORKED. I had a front spring break on my ā€˜04 F150 XLT. Never heard it ,never affected performance. Found it while detailing it. No idea how long it was like this.
Bottom line I guess is common sense and
periodically checking our rigs.
Cheers

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Well mostly itā€™s that thereā€™s nothing to ā€˜get away withā€™. Cops donā€™t scale non-commercial trucks, and states that have safety inspections donā€™t scale the vehicles with all 4 passengers and gear loaded in them and compare that to the door plate.

While most states do have penalties for driving overweight, none of them as far as Iā€™m aware have institutionalized enforcement mechanisms for non-commercial vehicles. Itā€™d just be far too onerous and difficult for a cop to have to 4 wheel-scale a vehicle on the side of the highway because it appears overweight. Also, the penalties in most places for being under 1000lbs overweight are minimal. In CA for example, the fine is $20+fees, an AZ there isnā€™t even a stated amount for any overage under 1k lbs.
Sponsored